Info On 86 Sunland Express?

williamt74

Hello All,

I have been looking at a Toyota RV for awhile and just wondering if anyone could help me find info on the sunland express model.

I've tried to google for any of the info but nothing really comes up.

Looking to get specs or find documentation on it.

Any help or suggestions on where to look would be appreciated. :)

Thanks

Bill

Sorry but the Sunland pretty much comes under generic category. I don't know of any online sites to go to for manuals or wiring diagrams. Unless other owners here have some information you need to go by what you've got. Hopefully a true 86 which should have the 6 lug axle in the back. 22re engine so all you need for mechanicals is a Toyota manual. Appliances are very standard through all coaches. If you have a specific problem or need let us know

Linda S

How about posting some photos so that we can see the unit?

Thanks for the info.

I am still researching, and convincing the wife :), so I haven't made the purchase yet

I was more looking to see if this particular model had any major issues compared to others or not addressed in the forums such as the rear axle.

For the rear axle you just need to check the lugs. 6 and a large center hub and your OK. The Sunland is a wood frame coach and water is the killer here. Check carefully for soft walls, floors and roof. Check age of tires. Older than 6 years needs replacement no matter what the tread looks like. Check that all appliances work. They cost a bunch to replace.

Linda S

86 Sunland Express owner here. Linda S - I thought the Sunland was an aluminum frame build but I could be wrong. Very solid quality, mine is burgundy red inside, kind of a nice break from the duff brown and grey interiors. I have a 6 lug rear axle, pretty sure all of them had it by this time. I've been full timing in this for almost 2 years and am so happy with its driveability and reliability. It's a little different in appearance from Dolphins or Sunraders of the era so I get a lot of positive comments on it. With a 22REC - the first of the fuel injected Toyota four bangers - it ain't no powerhouse but I've taken it up to Mt. Pisgah (6000 ft plus) any number of times and the original owner took it out west and put the first 130,000 miles on it. You won't be going anywhere in a hurry in this guy so I would advise the "Blue Highway" approach - these rigs aren't really designed for long term 80 mph cruising on the interstate (imho) so enjoy the slow ride! The roof is solid aluminum for the most part - watch out for the "luggage rack" on the back - they catch on tree limbs, break off and can cause leaks. I have a dorky rotatable VHF TV antenna up there that I still haven't really figured out what to do with. I replaced all the old running lights with led's as well as the interior lights, and am getting ready to install my first solar panel. Biggest things to look out for are tire condition, obvious water damage, drive train and cooling system (VERY important) condition and coach battery condition (my original one was crap). this has a 30lb horizontal propane tank - I've had no problems with my gas system but I have been turned down at one place for a fill (Tractor Supply, grrrr) because I couldn't verify the age of the tank. Keep in mind that these RV's are going on 30 years old so even if they are well kept there are going to be a lot of little things to fix. In particular, all the plastic stuff gets really brittle from continuous UV exposure. I think the overall quality might be a little higher than other RV's of this period but I'm a little biased.... :love: Ask me anything about it and I'd be happy to post current pics. There are also a couple other Sunland Express folks on here - and a gold mine of info you won't find anywhere else - but I'll let them speak for themselves...

-Rob

Rob - Thanks for the info.

I figured there would be work involved with updating systems or fixing different issues for a vehicle this age.

I agree these things won't get ya there too fast but it will get ya there.

I appreciate the feedback and it helps me with my decision. now to convince the wife. :D

Will let you know if we get it and any changes we make. :D

• 5 years later...

Hello , Barry here,

Iv`e recently bought a 86 sunland express and love it. Though she is a bit weathered. 

I`m having trouble finding the exact parts for the motor. They seem to not have a sunland express with a 22re 2.4 L. in their system.

What other model vehicle would have the same motor, say for instance a 4runner ?

Your only looking for a 1986 Toyota truck parts. Sunland only made the coach part not the chassis. Lots of Toyota truck parts out there because there are so many still on the road. What exactly are you looking for. Rock Auto is a great place to find aftermarket parts for a reasonable price.

Linda S

So far I`ve replaced the fuel pump. I at first made an access hole to pull the fuel pump without having to lower the fuel tank. when I removed it I peered into the tank and did not like what I seen (also it didn`t help much after replacing pump and filter. So I ended up lowering the tank anyways. It was rusted on the inside. I did find a tank online that wasn`t to hard. I also replaced the 3 and a half ft give or take metal tube going to the gas cap ,where you fill it up. That was rusted too. After replacing also a bad spark plug she started right up and purred just great. 

The part I was having trouble finding was the fan belt pulley / tensioner. 

We took it out last weekend and when we started to head back we heard a rattle and slight bang under the hood so I pulled over and the pulley came off. It did not seize up. we walked back where it happened and found every part along side the road (wifey found every part...astoinishing) and the belt wasn`t chewed up completely. So I put it all back together and we made it home, about 15miles.

Bit I was going to replace the pulley, belt, spacer and all. But had a hard time finding the correct pulley. I put a locknut on and tightened down the tensioner bolt with original pulley which bearings are still ok. Also noticed the bearing can be replaced within the pulley, awsome! 

PS ...It is definitely an aluminum frame. I`m replacing a section of paneling and seen the frame.

I think its a nice little RV. I love it !

Might have been a mistake getting rid of the Toyota fuel tank. We have dozens of reports of aftermarket tanks welds failing and leaking. Some again and again after getting the first one replaced. If by any chance it didn't go to the dump, keep it. Rust as long as it's not all through can  be cleaned

Linda S

As an owner of a 86 sunland, I can tell you that it definitely has an aluminum skeleton with luan paneling sandwiching the frame. I just replaced the exhaust manifold and now she sounds great and feels a whole lot better. I picked the rig up near Gary, IN. and drove her all the way back to New Orleans with almost no problems. 

Had a issue with the alternator slipping causing the belts to squeal non stop for a few miles. 15mins at autozone and a new bolt later and that was all taken care of. 

most of my water damage is relegated to the outside panels leaving the interior looking pretty dry with no mold smell. I’m currently in the gutting process right now, but since I’m still outta work I have to pick my battles and wait to do any real interior design. 

978DAFF4-7DDB-4F87-B910-011368085FFD.jpeg

On 11/10/2020 at 8:46 PM, linda s said:

Might have been a mistake getting rid of the Toyota fuel tank. We have dozens of reports of aftermarket tanks welds failing and leaking. Some again and again after getting the first one replaced. If by any chance it didn't go to the dump, keep it. Rust as long as it's not all through can  be cleaned

Linda S

Thks for the info . Have to keep an eye on the aftermarket gas tank. Make sure it doesn't leak.Didn't get rid of my original. Maybe I can blast the inside. I like the drain bolt on the original. To bad the aftermarket doesn't have one.

2 hours ago, BarryG said:

Thks for the info . Have to keep an eye on the aftermarket gas tank. Make sure it doesn't leak.Didn't get rid of my original. Maybe I can blast the inside. I like the drain bolt on the original. To bad the aftermarket doesn't have one.

Heavy rust scale, remove with a couple gallons of diesel fuel and a couple qts of nuts and bolts. Pour it all in and shake big time.

Light rust 3 or 4 gallons of vinegar, pour it in and let it sit for a couple of days.

It is very difficult to "shake big time" like WME suggests.  I had a friend that followed WME's suggestion of nuts and bolts and gravel, then strapped his gas tank to a cement mixer and turned it on for several hours.  The inside came out like new.  

The best method is to suspend it with ropes or bungee cords and rock it back and forth tree branch or whatever is handy. It says in the fine print there is no water in gasoline so a full tank is better than an empty one.

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2020 at 6:43 PM, stan6406 said:

I have an 86 sunland express came with a packet of paperwork what are you looking for ?

could you scan some of the sweet paperwork into the digital world?

• 8 months later...
On 11/13/2020 at 2:12 PM, MorboTheDMVclerk-DestroyerofDays said:

As an owner of a 86 sunland, I can tell you that it definitely has an aluminum skeleton with luan paneling sandwiching the frame. I just replaced the exhaust manifold and now she sounds great and feels a whole lot better. I picked the rig up near Gary, IN. and drove her all the way back to New Orleans with almost no problems. 

Had a issue with the alternator slipping causing the belts to squeal non stop for a few miles. 15mins at autozone and a new bolt later and that was all taken care of. 

most of my water damage is relegated to the outside panels leaving the interior looking pretty dry with no mold smell. I’m currently in the gutting process right now, but since I’m still outta work I have to pick my battles and wait to do any real interior design. 

978DAFF4-7DDB-4F87-B910-011368085FFD.jpeg

I did drive a "carburetorated"  dolphin down to Acapulco Mexico once and averaged 15mpg loaded with tools etc..except for in the mountains of course....either way, my last 31 footer averaged 7mpg so I'll still be happy as hell ,,,,specially during this bidenomics bullshittttt...I'll keep every one posted as I' always checking out mpg with everything I drive...

Been there. Had a class c 27' Ford 460 3 speed with efi. 6-7mpg no matter what. Reliable and powerful but terrible fuel economy. You could see the gas gauge moving down while on the freeway. I used it to pull out huge shrubs out of my front yard before I sold it. 

• 1 year later...

Just measured mine and it is almost exactly 6 feet. I included a couple of interior pics to give you an idea...The A/C shroud sticks down about 2 inches so if you're 6 feet tall or taller you'll be hitting your head a lot.

IMG_6599.JPG

IMG_6611.JPG

IMG_6603.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2023 at 3:43 PM, RiggerRob said:

Just measured mine and it is almost exactly 6 feet. I included a couple of interior pics to give you an idea...The A/C shroud sticks down about 2 inches so if you're 6 feet tall or taller you'll be hitting your head a lot.

IMG_6599.JPG

IMG_6611.JPG

IMG_6603.JPG

Do you know where we can obtain tail light lenses for an 86 sunland express?

The tail lights and the lenses haven't been made in many years and there is no exact replacement. 

Some have made a bezel to fit the opening to put in newer and usually smaller tail lights. 

Linda S

Here's a link to the lights similar to the ones I used on my Sunland Express:

https://hitchshops.com/i-8516874-bargman-led-taillight-84-recessed-triple-long-horizonal-mount-red-backup-amber-black.html

Wiring is identical to the old ones and is pretty straight forward. They're still too short by 5 or 6 inches but the width is good. I used pieces of FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Panel) to cover up the holes (see photo).  I did this years ago so I didn't do a particularly neat or pretty job of it.  A couple of additional notes:

- Make sure to seal not only around the opening of the lights but also the lens covers themselves. Mine quickly filled up with water but I was able to disassemble them and clean them and reseal them.

- The backup light bulbs are incandescent but you can source LED replacements for them if you like.

- The center LED in the brake light will always glow a faint red. The whole unit is sealed in the back so there's no way to add a resistor or anything to compensate. Not enough current draw to drain the battery but you'll get constant warnings from people that your lights are on.

- This video describes how to fix the "fast flashing" turn signal issue. I just cut my resistor off the board and have had no problems with it since. Relay is located in the drivers side fuse panel on the left under the dash. Good luck!

-Rob

IMG_7249.jpg.e0d9e51e574aca21e7fe31eacf2367e7.jpg

• 1 month later...