Hi folks, I'm new here, just started looking for a Toy to purchase. I talked to a guy today who has a very clean 1988 Toyota Winnebago and he said he had the transmission replaced last year and apparently the guy put in the wrong transmission for that particular model (the mechanic told him there were 5 and he ended up with the wrong one. I guess it took so long to get it done, they just "called it good." The thing shifts just fine, the problem is that you don't know what gear your in on the automatic shifter, for example park is reverse or something like that.

Is this a big deal? Will it give me problems down the road. It seems like once I memorize where everything is on the shifter I'll be fine, but...???

Also, the two AC units aren't working, how much does it usually cost to recharge or replace if necessary?

Any wisdom would be appreciated prior to me doling out cash for this baby. Thanks!

There's only one automatic transmission for that year and since whomever put it in didn't know that you don't want to buy this motorhome. Also are you saying both the cab and coach AC don't work or that there are 2 AC units on the roof. Either way AC is an expensive fix. The cab would probably need to be upgraded from R12 and the roof one can't be recharged. Only replaced and they ain't cheap. I would never recommend that someone who isn't a pretty good mechanic buy a fixer. Even with one in good condition you will find tons of stuff it still needs. keep looking

Linda S

my guess is they did not take the trouble to orient the linkage so everything is offset. the 5 and wrong one story sounds rather hokey to me.

If the indash (toyota) one is out of service, cost could run from a few cans of freon to $1,000. I just add 134 to mine - did not do any conversion stuff but other people believe the r134 conversion requires a bunch of steps.

I would knock off 3 grand for the 2 AC;s on my willing to pay price. Roof AC's can be had from 400 up. IF you do put in a new roof unit I would consider one of the 8k btu units as a honda 2000 can pull that load. The roof installation is not a big deal - just drop in -- kind of bulky requires 2 people I imagine do if paying RV shop labor ....

Of course I would look carefully to see of the roof is sagging - everyone I have seen sags a little - enough to be seen visually from the top. How much is "too much"? I would say if it does not leak water (look for any water stains )

in 88 I think there were 3 winnie warriors - 2 21.5 footers (rear bath has jackknife sofa, the other much more rare has "L" shaped seat( and a 20 footer with no sofa. Verifying these are V6 models in perfect condition and less than 100k miles the 321RB would be about 15k - average wear 10-11k. A 4 cylinder divide by 2.

As Linda said you will find many other things too. Leaf spring / bushings, appliances generator, window blinds, shocks,

You are talking about a 27 year old machine. The drive trains are usually quite good - concerning that they had to change the tranny - do not think that year came with a tranny cooler. and given the issue with the shift indicator does not give much confidence in quality of workmanship.

How many miles - how much are they asking?

Oh yahh did I mention tires, brakes & shocks ... and exhaust?

Today I got my first look at this MH. The owner just got the dash air working so that is good. The engine is an 22R-E, 4 cyl (which is ok for me, I'm not towing and would prefer good fuel economy to being able to blast through mountains. It's listed as a 19 footer with 104K miles.

I was very surprised at the condition of the unit, very nice. The seller upgraded the refer to a big MH fridge, upgraded to fullsize shower, took out the oven and put in a dishwasher. it has a microwave instead but there is room for a convection oven on counter if I want one.

The roof air fan works but is not blowing cold.

The engine sounds tight and did not smell exhaust or antifreeze.

The transmission is popping out of gear along with the other problem mentioned about shifter gears.

I really like this MH and the price, he lowered it by $2000 for me to $3500 to accomodate any work to be done and I'm trying to decide if I should bite. I'm pretty handy, but I wouldn't consider doing xmission work myself.

Roof has been sealed and is not drooping.

Floor is solid everywhere.

The brakes seem to be good.

There aren't any rattles or noises.

What do ya'll think? Should I chance it?

post-8320-0-58239300-1436067026_thumb.jp

post-8320-0-05805000-1436067080_thumb.jp

post-8320-0-39777600-1436067123_thumb.jp

post-8320-0-25525600-1436067176_thumb.jp

post-8320-0-80320100-1436067285_thumb.jp

post-8320-0-48090000-1436067327_thumb.jp

post-8320-0-20451700-1436067368_thumb.jp

post-8320-0-81225100-1436067446_thumb.jp

Edited by Pammy

Well, if the dash air is suddely working again, he might has dumped a can of refrigerant in it that might all leak out by tomorrow.

It's possible, but I kind of doubt it. The seller is in kidney failure and has diabetes. He is selling because he is dying and needs to go south to be cared for by a family member. I'm not sure he would have had that much juice. He had told me when I originally called that the cab unit had been working but that the last time he turned on the vehicle he couldn't get it working. Maybe he could have replaced a fuse to get it working?

Edited by Pammy

There's only one automatic transmission for that year and since whomever put it in didn't know that you don't want to buy this motorhome. Also are you saying both the cab and coach AC don't work or that there are 2 AC units on the roof. Either way AC is an expensive fix. The cab would probably need to be upgraded from R12 and the roof one can't be recharged. Only replaced and they ain't cheap. I would never recommend that someone who isn't a pretty good mechanic buy a fixer. Even with one in good condition you will find tons of stuff it still needs. keep looking

Linda S

The seller got stranded in some podunk town while passing through where there was only one shade tree mechanic. The mechanic told the seller this story.It took him 4 weeks to get the job done and then it wasn't right, but the seller was so fed up he just took it the way it was.

Regardless of what you choose, it is likely to need something. This is the mantra I hear the most often here. Lots of ways to approach this but lets first start with what is driving your choice. These are relatively common but those that are in great shape are becoming rarer and expensive. Many of the ones that I see for sale around here are in need of work, many others basket cases as far as I'm concerned. You had a look at it. If you've read through some of what to look for you looked under the cushions and examined the ceiling carefully. I'd bring a ladder and have a good look up top as well. You say it is tight, you are there and I am not. Sounds like your heart wants it. What does your head say? What about your gut?

Figure out your comfort level money wise and also what you can do and what you'll have to pay to get done. On the transmission. You say it is popping out of gear. What exactly do you mean by that? If it's as I suspect, you are in drive and it pops into neutral that is one thing. The $64 question is while driving it, how was it shifting? Did you try turning overdrive on and off? Did it affect the gears? If it is shifting fine between gears as you accelerate, that likely means the transmission itself is good but the linkage is certainly in need of work. A decent independent shop should be able to get that sorted out for something that won't break the bank.

Then there is everything else. Old machines even these need love. The basics really go a long way but it is certainly cheaper when you can do the work yourself. Otherwise automotive work is really getting expensive and some seem to charge a premium because there is a house attached to the thing.

So what is your end budget? Who is going to do all the work? What can you live without if it gets too expensive? Roof AC wouldn't be that expensive for me as I would be able to install it myself. An RV dealer on the other hand has expenses and what they charge reflects that.

Labor of love? Deciding with your head or your heart? Nothing wrong with any of that as long as you go in eyes wide open.

Mine had a great drive train. The rest has been quite an experience. If the rest is good and it only needs a roof AC, and transmission work along with maintenance work, I think I'd prefer that over the work I had to put into mine. Just don't be too surprised that at the things you'll be asking about. I'll start with mine. The roof. It is my new mantra. Seal it up properly and learn how it is supposed to be done. Absolutely no silicone.

Looking at the pictures, this is the same model as my 87 Itasca Micro Mini (both came off the same line).

$3500 is cheap for a rig like this. Go for it. You already know what you may be facing. Maybe talk to a trannie place and see what they think it needs. You sound resourceful.

Linda S

I don't have ac front or back. Sometimes it's gotten pretty hot but I lived.

Regardless of what you choose, it is likely to need something. This is the mantra I hear the most often here. Lots of ways to approach this but lets first start with what is driving your choice. These are relatively common but those that are in great shape are becoming rarer and expensive. Many of the ones that I see for sale around here are in need of work, many others basket cases as far as I'm concerned. You had a look at it. If you've read through some of what to look for you looked under the cushions and examined the ceiling carefully. I'd bring a ladder and have a good look up top as well. You say it is tight, you are there and I am not. Sounds like your heart wants it. What does your head say? What about your gut?

Figure out your comfort level money wise and also what you can do and what you'll have to pay to get done. On the transmission. You say it is popping out of gear. What exactly do you mean by that? If it's as I suspect, you are in drive and it pops into neutral that is one thing. The $64 question is while driving it, how was it shifting? Did you try turning overdrive on and off? Did it affect the gears? If it is shifting fine between gears as you accelerate, that likely means the transmission itself is good but the linkage is certainly in need of work. A decent independent shop should be able to get that sorted out for something that won't break the bank.

Then there is everything else. Old machines even these need love. The basics really go a long way but it is certainly cheaper when you can do the work yourself. Otherwise automotive work is really getting expensive and some seem to charge a premium because there is a house attached to the thing.

So what is your end budget? Who is going to do all the work? What can you live without if it gets too expensive? Roof AC wouldn't be that expensive for me as I would be able to install it myself. An RV dealer on the other hand has expenses and what they charge reflects that.

Labor of love? Deciding with your head or your heart? Nothing wrong with any of that as long as you go in eyes wide open.

Mine had a great drive train. The rest has been quite an experience. If the rest is good and it only needs a roof AC, and transmission work along with maintenance work, I think I'd prefer that over the work I had to put into mine. Just don't be too surprised that at the things you'll be asking about. I'll start with mine. The roof. It is my new mantra. Seal it up properly and learn how it is supposed to be done. Absolutely no silicone.

Well, it is true that my heart likes it very much...but my gut and head are surprisingly in agreement. I've been looking at quite a few in my "very low" price range and this is by far the nicest specimen. I can do quite a lot of work on it since I do have some skills and tools. However I have not done a great deal of mechanic work, the most complex thing being an alternator change on a Chevelle. The roof looks good overall, I don't see sagging. I think there may have been a very small vent leak at one time, but it was repaired. It popped out of drive. It has been sitting for almost a year apparently, the tires are good new 8 ply. Like you say, I'm trying to do my diligence by researching what you folks have learned about these beasties to help guide me.

Looking at the pictures, this is the same model as my 87 Itasca Micro Mini (both came off the same line).

So if you had to do it over again, would you still buy your Micro Mini?

There are some rules of thumb and the biggest one is to avoid having to replace the big ticket items. The AC is one of them. The transmission is the biggest one. You can live without AC. I don't have either cab or house AC and we survive but that is us. Unless you are parking it in one place, hard to live without a transmission. That seems to have everyone spooked. If you went at least a few miles and the only anomaly was it physically popped out of drive, then you might be ok. Its not a slam dunk though.

I like our 19 foot model. A bit lighter and shorter. 4cyl has no problem tooting ours around. Good luck what ever you decide.

So if you had to do it over again, would you still buy your Micro Mini?

That is kind of a hard question. I certainly wouldn't buy this particular Micro Mini. Also seemingly like everyone else I like the 18 foot Sunrader. Something about the rear dinette and the large windows in back. I just passed on buying one this week (long story)

It is just my wife and I. We are empty nester's (except both still live with us. Is there a place where one can send a hopelessly employment challenged 26 year old history major?) We camp on weekends at the beach and this is just about perfect for us. We are planning the snow bird thing in a couple years and are considering another to keep in Florida. I don't think I can find one that will meet my standards that won't need a bunch of work. Here is a link to mine. Still figuring that out.

That is kind of a hard question. I certainly wouldn't buy this particular Micro Mini. Also seemingly like everyone else I like the 18 foot Sunrader. Something about the rear dinette and the large windows in back. I just passed on buying one this week (long story)

It is just my wife and I. We are empty nester's (except both still live with us. Is there a place where one can send a hopelessly employment challenged 26 year old history major?) We camp on weekends at the beach and this is just about perfect for us. We are planning the snow bird thing in a couple years and are considering another to keep in Florida. I don't think I can find one that will meet my standards that won't need a bunch of work. Here is a link to mine. Still figuring that out.

I like what you've done here. If I get the Warrior I think I'll do the same on the closet.

In my area there is a man that bought a 90's Sea Breeze similar to mine. It is a low mileage unit in pretty good shape so he paid top dollar for it. $11,000. He is in his 80's and hire's his work done. Since purchasing it he has spent another $2,000 on it and he says he needs to spend another $1,000 to get it right. He says he is happy with his unit and ls living in it full time.

I paid top dollar for my 93 at $5,500 and it needed work. But it has absolutely no rust, it has never leaked and there is no rot and no delamination also the roof is not sagged. I have hired some work done but do most myself and have spent about $3,000 so far. and will spend another $2K.

I have new tires and the correct valve stems, a complete new cab AC system, new timing belt, water pump, belts and assorted parts, new brakes, bearings, shocks, suspension parts, a very long list. If I need to take off three parts to replace one, I replace all three. I should have no surprises coming. Famous last words.

So what is the best route to go, depends on the buyer, their tolerance for risk and how much work they want to do. There really is not a wrong way to do this.

You are already going in the right direction by asking questions. Now read all the posts to see what people are fixing so you know what to look for when inspecting units.

If I were purchasing a $3,500 unit I would want at least a $2,000 cash reserve and if I planned on driving it at all my first purchase before I picked it up would be Emergency Road Service policy.

Jim

I would like to thank everyone that helped me on this topic. After carefully weighing pros and cons of getting this vehicle, I decided to take the plunge. I'll let you know how it goes as I discover all the "creeping features."

Pammy

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on my first RV.

Now that I've brought Winnifred home, I can say that I'm overall happy considering the price. Although the tranny is very weird (Drive=2nd, Park=Reverse) it isn't always like that. I've discovered that if I go to 2nd then back to drive I will actually be in drive.

The good...

• I only paid $3500
  • engine is very quiet and pretty powerful (22re)
  • tranny seems strong even with linkage problem
  • tires are almost new, with a good spare
  • radio is kick-behind
  • large norcold kicks behind
  • shower is full-sized
  • roof is in very good condition for age, no dips or leaks
  • awning is in great condition
  • most things are functional
  • brakes are excellent
  • screens are good
  • gas mileage is great

The bad...

• the linkage issue
  • speedometer, odometer, cruise control not working
  • AC is blowing but is not cold in coach
  • After replacing dead coach battery, it still isn't turning on lights, etc.
  • Mickey Rat has apparently turned it into his own personal Marriott.
  • heater blows air but not heat
  • the tank/charge monitor panel is not lighting up (anyone know if it has a fuse, and if so where it is located)

I think that for the price I'm not doing too bad. I just need to figure a few things out. With the AC, I have a friend that said he has one I can buy for $70 and he'll put it in. I'm probably going to go for it, I overheat enough even with AC as it is.