First Trip Across America ('90 V6 Dolphin)

Jake_Womack

Any advice for our first long trip? My wife, my 1 year old son, and I will be in the rig. We are traveling from San Diego, CA to New Orleans, LA to catch a Caribbean cruise with family. Then we are heading from New Orleans, LA to Flint, MI to spend some time with family. We will conclude our trip by heading from Flint, MI to San Diego, CA.

Places to see?

Maintenance on rig?

What is essential to pack?

Best routes for fuel mileage?

We are traveling in a 1990 V6 Toyota Dolphin with 101,500 miles on the motor.

-Jake

Edited by Jake_Womack

Weight is important on these RV's so we try to travel light and buy stuff, esp food as we go along or once we stop for the nite. We do carry extra gas, some parts (set of belts), good toolkit. LED flashlites and one of these, http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Quad-LED-Lantern/dp/B00E09BERU ,

Much cheaper at COSTCO.

Vanman,

Thank you for the reply. I will look into everything you listed. We should be traveling light and will be purchasing food along the via Walmarts. Is a backup camera necessary to have? Thanks.

-Jake

You already have a good backup camera, its called WIFE. Just have her look out the back window when its a tight backup.

If we have to back up in a crowded area, my wife stands well behind the Rv while I back it up. If it is raining when this happens, I stand outside while she backs up.

I got this, http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/wide-angle-lens-11-x-14/69257 , seems to work better than it shows on the web page, I installed it off center on rear window.

Also handy for hiway driving as it allows more optimal adjustment of my side mirrors so I have no blind spots. The best is a quality wide angle rear view camera set-up but ones I like are expensive.

• 2 months later...

Well, we just finished our trip across America! Other than 2 blown rear tires in Mississippi, the trip was flawless. We traveled over 7,000 miles after all was said and done. We bought a harbor freight 2200 generator and strapped it on the roof to run our air conditioner for the whole drive. Climbing the ladder to fill the generator was tiring, but well worth it in high heat and humidity. My wife and son were quite cozy in the air. I even hauled a Honda CT90 motorcycle back with us from Michigan to California. I strapped that on the roof too. These Toys are bulletproof and it served its purpose for gas mileage, dependability, drivability, and accessibility in major cities.

post-8282-0-52182500-1441661591_thumb.jp