Over Cab Bed

chaejohn

When I rebuilt the berth I changed the foam and covering of the existing cushions. I bought what I thought was pretty good firm foam but it really wasn't up to what I wanted. I picked up a extra firm memory foam topper that I added with a cover. The queen size topper needed to be trimmed but only on one edge. Wife took in the cover to match the size. I also use luggage straps and roll the topper when we want to expose the walk through.

The combination resulted in a sleep platform that rivals my home tempurpedic setup. Option B for you is to get a memory foam mattress and cut it but you will need to get a foam shop to slice the thickness of the plywood underneath the walk through section. I used a long 8" safety knife used for cutting insulation. Did a great job with the foam. From Amazon

Futon mattress. Comfortable and folds in half. In practice, never need to open up to the cab below.

I see several other people have mentioned that they put memory foam over their existing foam mattresses. We also did this and it makes for a very comfortable bed. In addition, we put a layer of reflectix between the memory foam and the original mattress during cold weather trips. This made a huge difference in the temperature in the bed. Really kept it cozy up there. I remove it once the weather warms up though because it can actually make it hotter up there at night when it's warm outside.

Covered the walk through with 3/4" plywood on top of the open all the way across (still had no real issue going back and forth) took the material from the old walk through off and put it on the plywood no one would even know it had a opening. Had a mattress co. make me a mattress it was around $225 slept great ever since.

I think Chaejohn said he just bought an 18 ft Sunrader. Covering the opening in the overhead bed means no going back through there again unless your very nimble. On these little Sunraders it's not all that easy even with the opening. I use a feather bed on top of my cushions. Very comfortable

Linda S

My 34 year old mattress is still very comfy but the upholstery needs to be redone because of sun damage at the nose end. I need a firm mattress that is not so firm it sets off my nerve endings. It's just right so I think I will keep it and just redo the fabric.

The original center board base is saggy. I have a piece of honeycomb fiberglass panel that was made for floorboards in Boeing jets. That will become my removable center section base,its lightweight and strong. But I will also build in a removable cross brace to go under it. The brace will slip into custom sockets that I will fabricate. This will give me the option of fully open, closed but OK for head clearance or extra support when sleeping or lounging up there as required.

I don't know if it would work on a shortie, but the View motor homes have a solid piece from wall to wall. It tilts up and is held up with gas struts like a tail hatch. Maybe the same idea just using some blocks to hold it up??

I don't know if it would work on a shortie, but the View motor homes have a solid piece from wall to wall. It tilts up and is held up with gas struts like a tail hatch. Maybe the same idea just using some blocks to hold it up??

That was the original way I was going to do it when I went to the single 6" foam matt,

But after I put the matt in I realized it folded so easily, that I just folded it and used the luggage straps to keep it folded.

I used the original plywood to fill the gap and this has worked out well.

Just a couple of minutes to fold or unfold, the plywood slides up under the folded matt when driving .