What is the largest tire i can for on an '85 Dolphin? It's not 4wd, but I'd love a little more clearance and something a bit more rugged.

Also, I've been able to find lots of references to folks talking about doing a 4wd conversion on a 2wd toyhome, but not finding much on completed projects or how these things actually worked out.

Is really like to know more and start planning for this a couple of years down the road if it's possible.

What is the largest tire i can for on an '85 Dolphin? It's not 4wd, but I'd love a little more clearance and something a bit more rugged.

Also, I've been able to find lots of references to folks talking about doing a 4wd conversion on a 2wd toyhome, but not finding much on completed projects or how these things actually worked out.

Is really like to know more and start planning for this a couple of years down the road if it's possible.

Depends on what sort of conversion you want to do. I did several back when Toyota did not make 4WD trucks OEM. So did a lot of other people. We did it with a solid front axle and the trucks sat pretty high. Now there's the option of using OEM parts but something I'd ever want to do on something like a 20-21 foot Toyota. Even if you had a complete 4WD parts truck - swapping over all the parts is an awful lot of work with little gain as I see it. It would make more sense (to me) to just get a complete 4WD truck in good shape and swap the motorhome body over to it. It would be a lot easier lengthening the frame and beefing up the springs than converting.

In ref. to tires - you can buy bigger 14" tires in 8-ply rating if you want more clearance and weight capacity. Of course, that will throw off your speedometer and have less pulling power in 1st gear.

The stock 185R-14C tires are 25.5" diameter and rated 1870 lbs.

195R-14C tires are 26" diameter and rated 2090 lbs.

205R-14C tires are 27" diameter and rated 2266 lbs.

Many of the newer (2000s) Toyota motorhomes overseas have the bigger tires.

Jdemaris maybe you are on to something. I've been interested in taking a Sunrader camper and placing it on a more modern domestic 4x4 extra cab truck.

Does anyone have measurements from the rear of truck cab to the rear of a 18' sunrader camper and measurements from the rear of truck cab to the center of rear wheel? I think the Sunrader shell may have changed sizes at some point ('86)?

Thanks for the help.

I wanted to make my Yoterhome a bit more rugged too, and was considering doing a springover axle conversion where you take the axle off and install it under the spring. Then I was hoping to do a locking differential and the 27" tires. People advised against the springover, since it would potentially raise the coach 4-5", and may become a little top-heavy. I'm still curious to see how much the lift would be once the coach is weighed down with gear. I may still do it because it's always reversible and not really all that much work.

I ordered some Firestone airbags, so I'll probably do that and the differential for now to see where that gets me. My buddy who really knows tires seems to think that the 27 x 8.5R14 will fit. something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gti-05684400000/overview/, but I'm skeptical. I know a guy who will let me do a test fit on my rig, so I'll be sure to report back. I think they'll be too wide and they'll rub in the back.

My buddy who really knows tires seems to think that the 27 x 8.5R14 will fit. something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gti-05684400000/overview/, but I'm skeptical. I know a guy who will let me do a test fit on my rig, so I'll be sure to report back. I think they'll be too wide and they'll rub in the back.

Those tires have a Section Width of 8.6". 'Ours' are nominally 185mm (~7.3"). Installing 'yours' will reduce clearance between duallies by ~1.3". Measure what you've got for clearance now. I doubt you can afford to lose 1.3".

EDIT:

I just looked at 'your' tires again. Oddly enough, 'your' 27" tires show a diameter of 26" vs 'ours' are 25.7" (Yokohama Y356). So don't bother if you're hoping for more ground clearance. But at least speedo error would be minimal. :)