Hi Toyota Motorhomers! I'm currently remodeling my '91 Winnebago Mini Warrior, and I am curious to see if anyone out there has taken the axle and put it under the leaf springs to give the rear some lift. If so, is there a kit out there for it anywhere? It may give the rear about 5" of lift, and would allow for some bigger tires, more traction, and higher ground clearance for more capable boon-docking. Does anyone see any disadvantages this would have on my rig? Some day down the line I may even want to do a full 4x4 conversion, so this would be a good start.

Thanks!

Can you say crosswind????

Is your RV sagging or are you trying to get more clearance without saggy springs? It seems that a lot of these RV's suffer from inadequate springs for the gross weight when they were built. I added airbags and it brought the rear end back to where it should be. I plan on eventually replacing the rear springs but have not gotten around to it yet.

I did think it may become top-heavy after the conversion. Maybe some extra vertical support in the coach would resolve that?

I'm mostly looking for higher clearance. My springs are still in good shape, but the airbags are shot. I'll replace the airbags and see where it sits. Any recommendations on the airbags?

I think you'll get a lot of advice against it. All our motorhomes suffer from rear sag, and I have yet to hear of one person who has gone the "sprung over" route.

5" is too much. Vertical support does nothing to prevent a crosswind or sharp turn from tipping you over.

You'd also, as was pointed out to me when I was trying to raise my back end up (the Chinooks like mine can't really have airbags installed), mess up the level of your camper. Fridge would have to be re-set, etc.

It does seem that airbags are your best bet. Possibly a new leaf spring pack, with an add-a-leaf put in before install? In the end, there's only so much you can do. You suffer as much from approach and departure angle problems, due to how much length sticks out past the rear axle, as you do from actual clearance/height issues.

Hi Toyota Motorhomers! I'm currently remodeling my '91 Winnebago Mini Warrior, and I am curious to see if anyone out there has taken the axle and put it under the leaf springs to give the rear some lift. If so, is there a kit out there for it anywhere? It may give the rear about 5" of lift, and would allow for some bigger tires, more traction, and higher ground clearance for more capable boon-docking. Does anyone see any disadvantages this would have on my rig? Some day down the line I may even want to do a full 4x4 conversion, so this would be a good start.

Thanks!

Probably an easier way to get lots of ground clearance for off-roading and 4WD is to get a truck-camper and slide onto the back of a late 80s, early 90s Dodge Cummins truck. Not a huge investment and it will get 17 MPG going down the highway @ 70 MPH. It could be all bought for $4000-$5000.

Or if you want small and light like a mini-micro RV, find yourself 80s-90s Provan Astro Tiger with AWD and a pop-up roof. Capable of the same sort of fuel mileage as a stock 21 foot Toyota with a 2.4, but with more power and the off-road potential with the AWD setup. I just saw one sell a few weeks ago in pretty nice shape for $5400.

You take a 20-21 foot Toyota RV, jack it up, install larger tires,etc. - it's likely to get worse traction, worse handling, harder to get in an out of, and poorer gas mileage. Once at that point - one might wonder why a person started with a Toyota MIcro-Mini to start with

That all said, to partly answer your question. To over-sling the rear axle, you'd need come up with a way to install the shocks. Normally, they hook to the U-bolt plate on the bottom. When you mount the axle on top of the spring, the shocks will be way too long unless you do some welding and make some sort of custom shock mounts. Also you'd be changing the angle of the universal joints which might be an issue (something that would take some careful measuring of angles). Also the issue of reworking the rear stablizer-bar mounts and the brake-pressure-variator mount. A lot of work for very little gain as I see it.

I never see air shocks mentioned any more.....Are they too "old school?"..... they were pretty popular in the '80's ...just wondering..........donnie

Some how I don't think of a Toy home as a rock crawler. I wouldn't think raising the center of gravity on some thing that is all ready top heavy would be a swell ideal.

I never see air shocks mentioned any more.....Are they too "old school?"..... they were pretty popular in the '80's ...just wondering..........donnie

I've got air-shocks on my 1978 Toyota Chinook and on my 1988 Toyota Minicruiser. The Minicruiser has air-shocks and air-bags. The main down-side to air-shocks is all the stress that is put on the shock-mounts. Air-bags go between the axle-tube and frame and there are no mounts or spring linkage taking the stress.

Just wondering, I don't recall ever seeing air shocks mentioned anywhere on this forum since I've been here...That doesn't mean they haven't been discussed, it means that I don't have a recall.

Anyway, I'm thinking Chinook......my '78 Gazelle sits up proud in the rear, but my '75 sits low on the tail....I am going to stick a pair on it, lots of room & not that much lift needed.............donnie

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm definitely reconsidering the SOA conversion. I'll replace the airbags and see where that gets me. I like that Firestone kit.

Is an on-board air compressor worth installing? I was thinking about one of the Firestone kits. Thanks!

Yes it is but I've been a user of compressed air for many years, mostly for air powered tools. It's been my experience that good, reliable air compressors don't come cheap. I broke my rule of not getting cheapies a few years ago and am now having problems with the current home unit. :( , but have not regretted my VAir.

While I was searching on line when we first got the RV I read a lot of reviews and saw a trend in most of them. People who got theirs years ago were happy but a whole lot of the newly purchased ones had horrible experiences.

Quality seems to be disappering lately in many areas of consumer goods. I got fuse holders from Radio Shack that were so loose if turned upside down with the fuse in it the fuse would fall out!!! not a good connection.

Actually it cost more than the home unit I'm using now which won't put 90# air in the air bags and is slow to get to full pressure in the RV tires but the V Air goes right up there fast so I'm happy with it.

How much do the good compressors that are built in cost, I looked at that but I went with the portable and now don't remember pricing, they may be cheaper.

I finished installing Load Lifter 5000 ultimate #88113 by "air Lift" air bags yesterday on my 94 Warrior. It was not a piece of cake, but when the install was complete it looks good. Holes have to be drilled for three self tapping bolts. Not much room to maneuver. When you're a backyard mechanic and working on the ground and over a certain age everything ----you get the idea. I believe the Firestone kit is "no drilling". Still checking for air leaks before installing the wheels. I am considering a air compressor system. Got the air bags from www.sdtruckspring.com . Kit # 88113 is listed for $312. I called and got a quote for $281. There is also a $50 rebate from Air Lift on air bags and air compressor kits total of $100, 3/1/2015-6/30/2015.

post-1172-0-30271500-1427904851_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-70364100-1427904868_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-67378500-1427904890_thumb.jp

That looks like a 3T set you removed. Any way you could see if there's and make and model numbers for the springs? Might make it possible to find a source for replacement springs for someone else who doesn't mind keeping the old brackets.

What size holes did you have to drill? Through the frame rails I assume?

Damn Derek you are observant.

Indeed the air bags say " TTT 3-T-s RV Products" firestone emblem I e. Can not make out any model numbers. These bags were mounted forward of the rear end center. They were also way to long. Wish I would have taken a picture. The passenger side was rubbing on my new Bilstein shock, you can see the wear pattern on the picture. They did no mount straight up from the rear axle. The Air shock brand do.

Oh yah, I had to drill 5/16th holes for the self tapping bolts. Started with 1/16 drill bit then 1/4 drill bit and finally the 5/16 drill bit. The two bolt holes on either side of the bracket are at an angle because I do not have a angle drill.

Here's the numbers on air bag install. Maybe this will help Mrlope with your question.

The rear end measured at the trailer hitch increased in height by: 1" at 40# 1 3/4" at 60# 2 5/16" at 70#

I used this pump to increase the air pressure. It took about 30 seconds to increase one bag from 20# to 70#.

I am not going to buy a air pressure system to air up. Will use this portable. Bought it at a garage sale for $3.00.

I do not know what the original ride height was but from looking at two other Warriors that had the springs re-arced mine was noticeably lower.

We are now ready for The Alaska road trip the summer. No I guess not. Still have to figure extra gas storage.

post-1172-0-71751400-1427990991_thumb.jp