Surge Protector's - Pricing All Over The Place

gr8white

After reading through RV forums I see most are saying that a Surge Protector is an absolute must to have. What are your thoughts on this? Also, I am seeing pricing all over the place. I am seeing from 50.00 to 500.00. I dont know what kind to get. I have a 32 foot 5th wheel RV as you can see in the pic. Thanks!

post-6413-0-99540900-1425616844_thumb.jp

After reading through RV forums I see most are saying that a Surge Protector is an absolute must to have. What are your thoughts on this? Also, I am seeing pricing all over the place. I am seeing from 50.00 to 500.00. I dont know what kind to get. I have a 32 foot 5th wheel RV as you can see in the pic. Thanks!

Please expain. "Surge protector" for what? i've owned and used RVs for 40 years. Never had anything I'd call a "surge protector" in any of them except maybe a water-pressure reducer (for city water hook-ups). The AC electric input has a main circuit breaker which is all the "surge" protection I need.

I posted before from another computer and it seems to have disappeared. If it shows up - excuse my "redundant" reply.

When it comes to a huge RV with many AC powered appliances that often runs on its own AC generator - I can see a possible need for some sort of "AC line filter" to keep power clean. A surge protector though? I don't get it. Not unless someone has a very poor quality generator with lousy voltage stabilization and maybe a poor sine wave.

None of the AC powered electronics I use in my Toyota RV are "sensitive" to imperfect AC power. TVs, DVD/Blue Ray players, non-digital microwaves, etc. certainly don't need any sort of line-filter or surge-protector.

So I'm wondering - just what "sensitive" appliances are being discussed here, as it applies to micro-mini RVs like our Toyotas?

Low voltage has been the main issue I've encountered in RV campgrounds, usually during hot or cold weather and many occupants.

The AC/heat will draw increased current and the breaker will trip.

Since I started using an autoformer, no problems.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/30-amp-autoformer.htm

Low voltage has been the main issue I've encountered in RV campgrounds, usually during hot or cold weather and many occupants.

The AC/heat will draw increased current and the breaker will trip.

Since I started using an autoformer, no problems.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/30-amp-autoformer.htm

THAT I understand. I know several people who live off-grid who had to get step-up transformers like that to fix bad power from their fuel-powered generators. Peak voltage is very important with AC when it comes to motor starting and using battery chargers. Grid power for what we call "120 volts" is supposed to be 170 volts at the highs and lows of the sine-wave peaks. Many generators peak at 150. I don't use AC so can't say I've ever had an issue at a campground. I've certainly seen it happen with grid-power during the peak AC season when they have "brown outs" with low voltage.

Pretty big RV dealer that I deal with. I asked him about surge protectors and he doesn't even carry them. He said they just don't see it as a problem. But if you want to be extra careful, he'll get them for you.

Yes the example that Derek up north gave is what I'm speaking of. I have heard that they are a must for a 33 footer. I know I'm in the Toyota forums so it may not be talked about much because there is no need. But from past experiences this group is a smart bunch.

I'm wondering . . a "must" for what? And which specific device? The link that Derek posted shows several devices. The cheaper ones called "entry level surge protectors" do nothing to protect against low voltage. The more pricey ones for "hard wire" as least have a low voltage shut-off but do nothing to fix the problem.

Again - if your RV does not have problematic "sensitive" electronics this is a non-issue and such devices are in the minority. TVs, DVD players, computers, and most refrigerators, AC units, and manual control microwaves certainly are not "sensitive." The original post was about surge surpressors yet it seems the core issue with RVs having problematic appliances is low voltage, not "surges." When low voltage is an issue there are only two easy fixes. Turn it "off", or use a voltage enhancer that usually means a 10% step-up transformer like someone already posted info about.