I have a 1986 Sunrader automatic transmission with the column shift. The previous owner cut out the overdrive indicator light, cutting the wires leaving the 5 wire loom without the connector. It feels like the transmission is dogging, it is very sluggish. It is almost dead off the line. The motor is strong, but you have to floor it and it will go all the way up to 30+ mph before shifting. It feels like first gear doesn't exist. I have been searching for a replacement light but apparently Toyota discontinued it. I have been calling all kinds of salvage yards but no one has what I need. Does anyone know where I can get one? Do I even need it? I hear that the part flashes codes for the mechanics, but I've not sure if that is true. Any info would be very much appreciated. I am kind of stranded at the moment so if you have a lead on a part you can even call me at 757-693-1385. Thank you.

The OD switch not working will not make it sluggish from a stand still. Try this pull the lever into low and manually shift it up to second then drive and see what happens. There are no diagnostics in the lights when the OD is off when the light is on I know that sounds backwards but that's how it works. The later transmissions had a bit more capabilities. These things have no power it's closest competitor is a fully loaded log truck. Try the manual shift first if that is a lot better let us know there are some things that can go wrong that could cause poor acceleration.