What Good Is A Microwave In An Rv?

Totem

A 6 quart crockpot? Have you looked at your fridge lately? What is cooked must be cooled. Most people would rather have an assortment of food instead of one freaking huge pot roast. Toyota motorhome rules to live by. Scale down, live simply, don't take huge appliances.

Linda S

my dad was in Korea in 1950 1951 used to tell storys about cans of beans etc tied with wire on too the exhaust manifold of his willys jeep went all the way too the china border could not get much colder then that.

A 6 quart crockpot? Have you looked at your fridge lately? What is cooked must be cooled. Most people would rather have an assortment of food instead of one freaking huge pot roast. Toyota motorhome rules to live by. Scale down, live simply, don't take huge appliances.

Linda S

That's a good point, Linda. I guess at most times the full capacity wouldn't be used to it's full potential, but I like the idea of having more capacity than I need for when I'm using it at home. I don't want to buy two crockpots, and with our day to day budget, cooking for the week is sounding more and more like a good idea for us at home.

And I would HOPE the fridge can hold 6 quarts! :omg:

• 2 weeks later...

We have a microwave in our rig and it works nicely to reheat leftovers for a roadside lunch on the way home from a trip. On the way out we have a small crockpot that lives in the sink and runs off our inverter. So nice to have a hot meal ready if you are doing a long drive that day. I absolutely agree that a meal cooked over an open fire is much better than nuked food but as an ex chef I don't like to spend my vacation time cooking.

• 1 month later...

we mostly use our microwave for popcorn. I had thought about removing it, but it is a newer light weight one and

when not in use is great for storing food items like bread, so we do use it for storage.

• 1 month later...

I have enjoyed having the convenience of a microwave in my RV for heating water for coffee or leftovers, the same as anyone else. It's great for cooking baked potatoes really fast, too. But when it comes right down to it, if I could only have one cooking vessel, I really don't need anything other than some fire, and my lightweight, flat-bottomed wok with lid. I can fry steak and some eggs in it. I can make pancakes or apple fritters in it. I can boil water for coffee in it. I can cook soups, stews, or chili in it. Want fried chicken? How about a tuna melt? It does a great job. Heck, you can even cook Chinese food in it, if you want to. If I'm camping locally, I'll always bring a cast iron skillet, but if weight is an issue, it's my lightweight, flat-bottomed wok every time.

This one was cooked in a cast iron skillet, but I do this same mixed berry dutch baby in my flat bottomed wok quite often.

dutch%20baby%20pancake.jpg

That with a side of bacon is one of my son's favorite breakfasts when we're camping. Sometimes I use apples instead, or make it savory with cheeses, meats, and herbs.

apple%20dutch%20baby%20pancake.jpg

Make it on the stove, in the oven, or over a camp fire. Delicious every time.

my%20piece.jpg

Since I only need one pot in which to cook anything at all, it saves a lot on space. And with all that extra space, gee... I've got room for a microwave. ;)

impressive, i too am a cast iron fanatic. I also have an all steel flat bottom wok, but i dont use that nearly as much because of its rusting problem.

I tried seasoning it with oils, etc etc it always rusts and requires pre-cleaning if i don't want extra iron in my diet. Cast Iron never has that issue.

Its heavy but +1 on it and its safety and food quality; no chemical leeching no rust.

• 2 months later...

most people I know use them to dry socks or warm coffee that truly should have been poured out; hence many rv microwaves smell like gym locker Folgers.

I recently tried to get my wife to allow me to gut and remove the propane system to get extra space. when the argument was over I was sandblasting the tank and rebuilding the propane system. Wife 1 me 0.

• 3 weeks later...