Fantasy Trip Planning

skippervido

On these dark Olympic Peninsula evenings I often fantasize about preparing for a long trip in my 1994 Warrior (only 50,000 miles on her so many more to go).

I especially like to research gadgets and cool accessories I would install before leaving on this fantasy trip. Right now I am toying wit the idea of a Wilson antenna to boost my phone and internet connectivity, a 100 watt suitcase solar panel set up, perhaps a Yamaha generator in case of emergency, moving my Fantastic Fan to over the upper bed and installing an AC in its place, adding a receiver hitch for a bike rack, figuring out a rack for a kayak. I have a few more fantasy plans but these are enough to get started with.

Anyone out there who has similar fantasies about their Toy and a long fantasy trip?

I have two LCD battery monitors already that i wired into the solid state isolator. They were less than 3 bucks a piece and fit perfectly in the dash; i think i put a picture of them in the gallery here and did a youtube movie on their performance, but man the clipper has a feature that I MUST HAVE... estimated remaining number of AMP hours/hours till recharge needed. talk about idiot proof this battery device would be EXCELLENT for solar banks too.

This is the cell phone booster I have been considering. It can be mounted on a mast which would attach to the motorhome .

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J14YEHQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=PB9466GOQ4YF&coliid=I3MVNIOGKPK4BR.

I am curious what how one would use the information from the clipper battery monitor if you were were parked at a campsite without hooksups.

The best thing about the clipper battery monitor is it will show you exactly how much power you have left based on your current usage. So for example, if you are in a remote area without hook up's and you fire up your TV and heater, the monitor can show you that you have 3 hours of battery life remaining. This is displayed in Amp Hours.

I have two LCD battery monitors already that i wired into the solid state isolator. They were less than 3 bucks a piece and fit perfectly in the dash; i think i put a picture of them in the gallery here and did a youtube movie on their performance, but man the clipper has a feature that I MUST HAVE... estimated remaining number of AMP hours/hours till recharge needed. talk about idiot proof this battery device would be EXCELLENT for solar banks too.

Totem, link for the lcd volt monitor pls :-)

I agree with Corbin. I am planning my 2016 trip already and I am driving my wife nuts. I have been getting state & provincial tourism information from CA, WA, OR, NV, BC, Alberta, etc. The trip will be 4 or 5 weeks long.

I have heard about a trip planner for using Garmin GPS units. I thought that it was called Home Base but for some reason I can't find it again. Does anyone have information on this kind of download?

i use an older website but a goody nonetheless when planning a trip... a site called "tripadvisor.com". the site has reviews of the local attractions from real people and there are app versions for iphones and droids also.

always fun to see what other people think of places and its thier commentary and description I value more than whether they liked something or not.... then again thats my MO... I tend to look a what the description of or behavior of something is in judgement rather than what a Mob thinks of it; alas thats not a very popular way to live these days but oh well, mobs are for howie mandell, not me.

I just found the Garmin site that I was looking for a couple of days ago. It is called Garmin BaseCamp. It allows you to plan out your trip on your computer and download your plan to a Garmin GPS unit. I will be giving it a try when I get my new Garmin.

a winch

a storage box on the roof

fire engine fold down steps (purchased) and install on the side of my Sunrader

a mobile beer keg with pour tap

Prepping for winter backcountry skiing - bring on the snow I'm ready!!!

Dream trip: ship my Sunrader to New Zealand and never return. May have to settle for: Drive from WA State to Patagonia

a winch

a storage box on the roof

fire engine fold down steps (purchased) and install on the side of my Sunrader

a mobile beer keg with pour tap

Prepping for winter backcountry skiing - bring on the snow I'm ready!!!

Dream trip: ship my Sunrader to New Zealand and never return. May have to settle for: Drive from WA State to Patagonia

I hope you realize you do have to ship your Sunrader from Panama to Columbia. No through road, look up Darien Gap

Linda S

Interesting...there was a guy on the Marlin Crawler site who was posting about his trip from California to the souther tip of South America in his 4Runner. I might have to look back and see what he did about that.

A tap on the outside of the camper would be great. The keg would take up a lot of space, but you could build a kegerator that can be used as storage when there's not a keg in it, I guess. Sometimes I wish I had my camper, plus a lot more money, back when I was in my early twenties. Could have been a serious party machine back then. But at this point in my life...I don't really care.

Just found it. Here.

End of page 5, beginning of page 6 talks about packing the truck up in a crate and saying goodbye. Crazy.

If anyone has ever thought about a drive to the end of the continent, this a great thread to read. It shows you it's doable, and not a dream, while giving a good reality check. Like: be prepared to pay bribes. Be confident enough to know when a border crossing/immigration officer is scamming you and have the courage to actually throw him out of your vehicle on the side of the road and drive off.

I love the idea of drilling a hole into my OEM sunrader dometic back wall and making it a keg-orator full of Dark Horse Beer (Marshall Michigan).

I would use a cooler for food at that point or pack around the keg. would need to get one of the pour handles that has a hole in it for a pad lock though...

lest you come back to a campsite full of drunks and an empty fridge.