Can Anyone Help Me Figure Out If This Is A Bad Rear Axle?

If you add the weight they allow over GVW it comes to 6140#

"Who" allows "what?"

Dolphin test shows a wet weight of 5020 lbs. and an extra cargo capacity of 930. The sum equals the posted GVWR of 5950 lbs.

Winnebago test shows a wet weight of 4860 lbs. and an extra cargo capacity of 640. The sum equals the posted GVWR of 5500 lbs.

Well this is our own Waiter's blog site and he says the empty weight of his 88 Dolphin is about 5700 lbs. Now that's someone who I believe. People who build airplanes take weight very seriously.

http://iflyez.com/alaska/?page_id=32

Linda S

And I suppose nobody else in this world can comprehend the meaning of weight and measure it?

Bottom line is hilux chassis must be over engineered but rear axle not to same over engineered spec.

Probably every motor-vehicle sold for public highway use is "over-engineered" when it comes to the ability to sustain more abuse and weight then it's rated for. Toyota mini-trucks certainly are not "heavy" built. Not by my standards, anyway.

And I suppose nobody else in this world can comprehend the meaning of weight and measure it?

Well when you see the weights on the thread I posted are all over the place, I'd have to say not many can. Either that or lots of scales out there are pretty much useless. I'm going to get mine weighed again sometime soon after I remove all my junk. Think I'll hit a couple of scales just for good measure

Linda S

I'm not sure who 'Erik' is, but I'll assume it's me.

If you go back and read my post mentioning 'wet & dry weights', you'll see that I'm saying I've never read any published by National. Have you?

I can assure you that I do lots of reading, as do you apparently. Might I suggest you add this to your list?

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328305948l/12176421.jpg

Phonetically, there is an "Eric" in "Derek." So by sound alone, I missed by one consonant. Sorry. Heck, I don't even know if that is your genuine given-name anyway. Web-handles are often nom de plumes. I did not mean to corrupt your given-name.

In the Dolphin road-test article with a publish date of May, 1988 - what looks like a credit-box is printed within and reads "National RV Incorporated, California, 714-943-6007." That is the National RV I referenced.

Also , thanks anyway, but I don't need any more friends or desire books telling me how to fish for them.

I see they also claim they get 19.5 miles a gallon with that Winnie. So much for accuracy on the numbers

Linda S

Seems you are "throwing out the baby with the bathwater." Are you claiming that because you disagree with their fuel mileage test - anything else posted by them must be erroneous?

I've read material in Chinook ads authorized by Chinook claiming 30 MPG. Do I believe anyone can get a consistent 30 MPG with a Chinook? No, not even in Canadian/Imperial gallons. Do I believe other features Chinook advertised? Yes, I do.

Well this is our own Waiter's blog site and he says the empty weight of his 88 Dolphin is about 5700 lbs. Now that's someone who I believe. People who build airplanes take weight very seriously.

http://iflyez.com/alaska/?page_id=32

Linda S

No slight meant towards Waiter or that blog - but come on! People engineering air-planes don't go by "approximate" weights as is posted in the blog. He makes a general statement with an approximate weight (his own words) and does not define his connotation of "empty."

My point is he gives no exact weight. Scale slips don't give weight "estimates." Scales are also usually state certified to be accurate.

You are using a common flaw in logic often used by politicians. "False Authority Argument." I..e . ."Being an expert in one area does not give one the authority to claim general expertise on other topics." Kind of like Oprah (with the wrong-spelled name) telling me how to fix a diesel engine.

That is in no way meant as an insult to Waiter or any other person who works on, designs, of pilots planes and/or jets. It is more a statement saying not all people in the airplane business have smarts in all other fields of study. Some do, and some do not. My best friend is a retired commercial jet pilot and when on the ground - he is a functional idiot and a disaster waiting to happen. Nice guy though.

My 21' 1988 Minicruiser was 5650 lbs. on the scale when I first got it. That was with me, 11 year old boy and dog inside. I'm 170 lbs. boy is 120 lbs. and dog is 70 lbs. But that Minicruiser also had a huge wooden bumper in back and several other things had been added.

It's a tough call to weigh any old RV now and try to figure what it weighed when new. Lots of wood and wood often gets a lot heavier over time as it soaks up moisture. Then you got all the repairs with heavier materials, add-ons, etc. I'm almost afraid to weigh my Minicruiser now. I know I added near 200 pounds of steel just fixing the back, extending the frame, adding a cargo box, etc. I put new wood inside that is heavier then what was used OEM. I added more leafs to the rear springs, added an air-bag suspension kit, put dual deep cycle batteries in the "house", microwave oven, two large inverters, 32" TV, solar panels, etc. Plus my wife weighs substantially more then I do (but I won't give details on that). I bet it's over 6000 lbs. now but that is just a guess.

I did the same sort of work with my Chevy Blazer 4WD Chalet. Got all done and it weighed 7200 lbs. with us in it. That is WAY over what their advertised weight was. GM got in trouble right after those things were first sold as "dealer installs." The claim was they were over the GVWR when they left the dealership with a few big passengers. I've been told (but have no proof) that the Chalet (Chevy) and Casa Grande (GMC) campers on Blazers and Jimmies were the reason why GM had to start putting warning stickers inside the glove-box stating "no slide on campers allowed."

I suspect we've lost the chance to weigh a brand new, dry, unaltered Toyota RV from the 80s. May be a few around but I don't know of any that have been scaled.

He didn't put in his wife's weight. He's fine. Like I said I will be weighing my original condition 18 ft Sunrader but probably not until spring. I have accumulated lots of junk inside in the last 10 years. All needs to be removed first. Another member who just stores his rig near here has an original condition Dolphin too. I may make him follow me to the weigh station. Will start a new thread and post when I get it done. We'll get some numbers up then and keep them all on a weight thread.

Linda S

"Who" allows "what?"

Dolphin test shows a wet weight of 5020 lbs. and an extra cargo capacity of 930. The sum equals the posted GVWR of 5950 lbs.

Winnebago test shows a wet weight of 4860 lbs. and an extra cargo capacity of 640. The sum equals the posted GVWR of 5500 lbs.

From the Winnebago listing post. Gvwr* 5500 Lbs.

“*Owner may add up to 640# in weight of passengers and supplies to motorhome, equipped as test coach without violating chassis manufactures maximum gvwr.” This kind of puts the weight at 6140#.

chefdave's MH MOT inspection (Ministry of Transport) is kind of like an air craft annual very through. A long tonn (British measure) is 2240# it came in at 2.8 tonns or 6272 American pounds that figure I believe.

From the Winnebago listing post. Gvwr* 5500 Lbs.

“*Owner may add up to 640# in weight of passengers and supplies to motorhome, equipped as test coach without violating chassis manufactures maximum gvwr.” This kind of puts the weight at 6140#.

Actual weight (4860lb) + 'allowed weight' (640lb) = GVWR (5500lb)