Not Your Average Toyota

tofubiscuit

Except for one that I used to see parked at Earthfare regularly (RiggerRob was that you?), I never see Toys around Asheville...until today when I see two. Now obviously the giraffe is unique, but what is the other?

post-7656-0-32879200-1416103073_thumb.jp

post-7656-0-78280700-1416103102_thumb.jp

The giraffe is too cute. That Currahee or one just like it was for sale not long ago. I have never seen the name before in relation to a Toyota motorhome and I'm just guessing but I'm thinking someone added those decals. Name for a mountain in Georgia or Cherokee word meaning "stand alone". Style looks like a New Horizon.

Linda S

Mine's the Sunland Express with the red and silver trim - I'm at Earth Fare a lot, and see the World Happiness Party one all the time. Glad he finally painted it, it looked hideous before he did. Doctor Dave, the mechanic on Haywood Road, has an '84 Sunrader and we just met up in West Asheville for the first time the other day. The other one is parked by Blue Mountain Pizza in Weaverville, which was my old haunt when it used to be called the Cafe Raven Moon. Someone left a note on my windshield last year claiming they've been full timing in a Sunland Express in West Asheville but I've yet to lay eyes on it. Time for an Asheville meet'n'greet?

Edited by RiggerRob

The giraffe is too cute. That Currahee or one just like it was for sale not long ago. I have never seen the name before in relation to a Toyota motorhome and I'm just guessing but I'm thinking someone added those decals. Name for a mountain in Georgia or Cherokee word meaning "stand alone". Style looks like a New Horizon.

Linda S

Linda,

I noticed that too. And, I have also seen that Currahee posting, from about a month ago. I wonder if you or anyone else knows anything more about that short lived (about '84 to '85) micro mini RV called a Currahee. I do believe that Currahee used to mainly be a camp trailer manufacturer.

**Please chime in on this thread, if you know anything about Currahee (trailers or RV's) I am curious.

~Riverman77

Wow, there are a bunch of us around here! Good eye, it was in Weaverville that I saw the Currahee. What a small world, my son is friends with the kids of Blue Moon manager (or maybe owner, I'm not sure of his position). I was going to stop and examine the Currahee further, but my son told me my Toyota obsession was getting out of control. Could be because before I got my Sunrader I used to tell my son we were going to kidnap your Express every time I saw it. We just need to find a few more hiding out around here and we could have our own rally! Or maybe support group...

riggerbob I to have a sunland 1985 I,m half threw restoring it now .doing complete inside now.don,t see to many people having them on here. I believe they were only made for 2 years. but for what I see of them they were one of the better built toys

Look at how the world happiness party is bringing us all together! I guess that little giraffe Toyota is accomplishing it's mission - yes, I actually went to the website to see what that thing is all about. I smile every time I think of it - I love people who can relax and not take life too seriously.

Awwwww... Jdfrost, would love to see the progress on your Sunland Express and share suggestions and tales of wonder and woe. I'm currently full timing in my rig which makes major overhaul and repairs a challenge. My current project list - install my new 3-row brass radiator (thanks, Linda, for pointing me in the right direction for that) and install my new 100-watt solar panel on the roof. I'm blessed in having gotten one in fairly new shape - I've done more damage to it from backing in to crap than it previously had its whole life... Hard to find a lot of info on them as there don't seem to be lot of them out there. Any of you guys want to meet up at Earth Fare or Katuah Mart (one of my new favorite hang outs, great off street parking and free internet) and compare notes, I'm up for it any time. Hope everyone is staying warm, we're looking at temps in the teens by tomorrow night... :cold::cold::cold:

Edited by RiggerRob

Mine's the Sunland Express with the red and silver trim - I'm at Earth Fare a lot, and see the World Happiness Party one all the time. Glad he finally painted it, it looked hideous before he did. Doctor Dave, the mechanic on Haywood Road, has an '84 Sunrader and we just met up in West Asheville for the first time the other day. The other one is parked by Blue Mountain Pizza in Weaverville, which was my old haunt when it used to be called the Cafe Raven Moon. Someone left a note on my windshield last year claiming they've been full timing in a Sunland Express in West Asheville but I've yet to lay eyes on it. Time for an Asheville meet'n'greet?

I'm in Raleigh. About 245 miles east of Weaverville. Small meet and greet would work for me.

It would be great to get together. I live full time in my Sunrader, so we could probably compare a lot of notes. A Carolina meet and greet, I love it. Hopefully I have poured enough anti-freeze in every possible crevice to protect against the crazy weather coming this way. I didn't own the Sunrader yet last year when it was 14 below for a few nights here, so this is my first time in it in this type of weather. I had been hoping to be down on the Gulf by now, but you know how plans go.

thats why I come to this site .love to here stories of peoples travels. it keeps me motivated to keep pushing on with restoring my sunland. witch a few people said I was the only person crazy enough to tackle a project like this. now there thinking different now.