Planning A Trip Through Western Us

Bob C

I am planning a trip from my home in Wisconsin through the western states. I don't like cities much so I don't plan on hitting the big ones. So far, my route goes from Wisconsin west to the Black Hills, south to Colorado Springs (Garden of Gods, Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak) west over Independence Pass, Arches NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP, east to the north rim of Grand Canyon, south to south rim of Grand Canyon, west to Lake Mead, Death Valley, Sequoia NP, Yosemite, Crater Lake NP, Mt St Helen, Mt Rainier, Jasper NP and Banff NP in Canada, south to Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, and back to Wisconsin.

We have done the first and last part of the trip several times so we are just hurrying through to Colorado Springs and getting home from Yellowstone. I have been to some of the places beyond that, but not my wife. We will be hitting the highlights of the rest of the trip but we can't do any extensive hiking due to my wife's mobility problems, so most of the locations will be see what we can while driving the scenic routes, short hikes and visitor centers.

I am planning on taking a little over a month for this trip. We drive long distances on the first ( WI to WY) and last (WY back to WI) parts of the trip so we have almost 4 weeks for the rest of it. What are the places that should be on our must see list? We will be getting to the coast for a short time just to say that we were there but playing in the water does not excite either of us (remember, my wife has mobility issues) Also, hanging out in a city is not anything that we like.

I would love any input from the people here because I think that many of you are pretty adventurous and appreciate the same things that we do. If you don't want to post here and would prefer to send private messages with suggestions that would be alright with me. Sometimes it takes me a while to get on my computer so don't get discouraged if I don't get back to you right away.

As far as the southern Utah parks, most require some sort of hiking. Just depends on how much hiking you two can do. There are some scenic drives, but a lot of the stuff requires getting out and walking to really see. Zion, during the busy season, doesn't let you drive through the park. You've got to park and ride in their shuttles, which is actually a good thing. But a good thing to be aware of.

Crater Lake is an easy one to see without much walking. Glacier, too. Not sure you can get your RV through Going to the Sun Road, unfortunately...

I was planning on using the shuttle at Zion even if it not required. I did know that Going to the Sun Road is closed to ALL RV's even if they are smaller than some of the pickup trucks that are allowed to go over the road so we will be using their shuttle also.

We will be doing a couple of days at Yellowstone to see stuff that we skipped last summer.

My wife can handle a couple of miles in the morning if she gets to rest for a couple of hours afterward. She can handle a walk at north and south rim of the Grand Canyon.

The areas that I need information on is California, Oregon, and Washington.