To replace vents

kris

Hi I am new around here but have an idea that I'll be around asking lots of beginner questions. Just bought a 82 18' sunrader.

The vents are shot and need replacing. While looking around for vents I saw the fan vents and thought that would be great considering I will be in it all summer long. So the next question becomes Electric. Several questions:

-How do I know if I have enough to run a fan? How exactly do I get electric to the fan? If I come from the nearby light is that ok? any good ideas to hide the wiring can I put it in the ceiling somehow?

-Maybe I should start with how does the electric work in general I know there is a marine deep cycle battery. How do I know how much power it has and how long it takes to charge? I am assuming that it get charged when the truck is running right?

-Is it possible to use solar power (I think this is the direction I will want to go eventually)

Is anyone thinking as I have(Only brief interludes) that I am in over my head?

I do seem to keep spiraling in circles which comes first the electric or the vent...

Any advise, resources etc would be appreciated

Thanks Kris

Hi Kris

I have an 86 Sunrader 18 footer. I have electric vents over the table and in the bathroom. Originally I bought a Fantastic vent. Its a three speed vent. I later bought a Northern Breeze which is a variable speed. I like it much better because I can turn it down lower than the fantastic and its quieter. As for power mine had an airconditioner over the table and I used and rewired that to the 12 volt side to power the vent. Not sure if your year had wire installed in the factory but I think it is inside a conduit which you will see after you pull out the old vent. If there is no wire you will have to run a wire mold to the vent as the cieling is solid and impossible to put wires inside. The fantastic vent I put in the bath and used the power from the nearby light.

Batteries come in many flavors. A marine deep cycle is a cross between a starting battery and a true deep cycle. If you plan on running a lot of 12 volt stuff or boondocking you are going to want to get an actual deep cycle. Try this link for more info batteries.

Batteries get charged from the altinator when the engine is running. Your year may still have the original system which is a solinoid which engauges when the ignition is turned on. It basicly connects your starting and coach battery in parralell when the engine runs and charges both at the same time. Its not the best but it works to a degree. The problems are that the starting battery can become over charged. The solinoids also go bad. Bad internal contacts can reduce the charge to the coach battery. A better system is a battery isolater.Its a solid state device that has no moving parts or contacts. You may allready have one if the old system was replaced.

Solar! If you can afford it that is a nice way to keep things charged. Trouthunter Gary has two solar panels on his 18 footer and it keeps his batteries charged at all times. Costco online has a set of cells that is just the right size. One day when I can afford it that is what I will get.

I don't think your in over your head. Just be patient and it will all come together!

Greg