I Have To Laugh...maybe Cry! - (Washington State Parks)

Gary_M

I've been complaining for years about Washington State's way of funding parks by making folks pay a yearly $30 pass or daily $10 pass. My bet has always been that out-of-state folks would quit touring the state and the parks would still come up short on funds. Well I guess they are thinking.

For all you Toy owners in Washington see this one and hold on to your wallet. ;-)

Here in Wisconsin, locals pay $25/yr for the first park sticker and $12.50 each for extra vehicles owned by the same person. The daily rate is $7. Out of state pays $35 annual and $10 daily. It does not keep the parks from being packed every weekend. I have no problem paying for the stickers because my family visits the parks every week.

And in Michigan residents pay $11 annual per vehicle. There are no daily admissions. Sorry I don't know the rate for out-of-state vehicles.

In Washington State you don't have to have a pass if you have a reservation to camp. Guess the governor gets the idea of putting an excise tax on all recreational vehicles probably for that reason.

What I don't get is they also want to put a big tax on bottled water. Next thing thay will taxing our bodies for the amount of water we're carrying. ;-)

Taxing bottled drinking water, good idea, I say make it so expensive no one will want to buy it. Fund parks with it, great use of the money! Bottled water is a product concept from the beverage companies that is polluting the planet with mountains of trash. They have unbelievable profits from it but it is a product that is doing a lot of harm. It is not as if we don't have easy alternatives for carrying good drinking water that don't do this kind of harm.

Quotes from National Geographic:

"Imagine a water bottle filled a quarter of the way up with oil. That’s about how much oil was needed to produce the bottle."

"Unfortunately, for every six water bottles we use, only one makes it to the recycling bin. The rest are sent to landfills. Or, even worse, they end up as trash on the land and in rivers, lakes, and the ocean. Plastic bottles take many hundreds of years to disintegrate."

"Recycling one plastic bottle can save enough energy to power a 60-watt light bulb for six hours."

WA state motorhome annual registration fee, $111.75. Tax them by weight the same as any other vehicle is the only fair way to go.

Tax the crap out of plastic water bottles. Agreed. Make it part of the sin tax. It is not our human right to do stupid things which destroy the environment. I don't want a police state either, but there are some common sense things people just refuse to do unless coerced with a fine or tax. While they're at it start fining/taxing people who insist of having a golf course for a lawn in the arid west. Fine them for wasting water. Things along those lines are fine with me. It's not a freedom issue.

I'm sure glad I live near so much public land...other than National Parks, I'm not sure of the last time I paid to get out in the woods/mountains (other than my taxes, of course).