Tires And Tires...

About 2 years ago, I replaced the 1990 Warrior with 1990 Itasca Spirit (2ft longer with a sofa bed) As usual, I went through everything that matters most to us (safety and reliability) Tires were among the top of my list. Going over the service records, I saw that tires were replaced back in 2006 with receipts, visually they looked okay with lots of treads so I quickly moved on to other items.

Over the period of two years, we drove the RV within 200miles from home...no problem whatsoever! I often inspected the tires before each trip, I did see some minor cracks but I thought that would be normal for tires after a few years in service.

Oh boy...I was seriously wrong! This happed on the way home during our trip to Doran Beach Park (Bodega Bay, Calif.) earlier this month. While driving home, I heard strange noise followed by rubber smell...I thought something burning in the back...turned out it was a blow-out rear tire! (See pic)

Pulled off the road to a church parking lot, quickly changed the tire with spare one, and went home. I looked at all the tires again, what I discovered where the previous owner who sold the RV to me possibly swapped the tires he changed with old ones...those tires dated back to 1995 if I read the date code right...treads were full...not much wear at all.

Need not to say, 6 Hankook tires were ordered thru Walmart ($92 each - best price around I found) and it offers installation for about $12 a piece. I quickly jumped on it. Tires arrived, called to make appointment...turns out Walmart does not work on Motorhome...bummer! I called a few local tires store, they either wants $40each for installation or don't even want to work on the little motor home at all. So I decided to remove all tires, loaded on my truck and head to Walmart store. After 1 hr and 45 min, the technician told me: "sorry sir, but we can't balance your wheels since we do not have the cone that's big enough for your rim" I was like @#$#%$ okay...went to my fav. tire shop, they couldn't do it either! After hopping thru couple tire places, Wheelworks offered me $14/ea. for lifetime balancing.

Moral of the lesson: do not trust service record on tires, and do call these tires places before bringing your RV over to be sure they can balance this type of rim

post-4406-0-10244300-1409357233_thumb.jp

the tires under my dolphin where new all right the spare on the back looked pretty moldy old . in fact it was so rotten it blew up one very hot day. just hanging there. sure glad I never tried or had to use it. I used the camper one season before this.

• 1 month later...

5Toyota: I did check my spare too...appears to be ok. Did you have your inside a cover?