Renovation For Mr Jones.

MrJones

I have a 17ft 1979 toyota dolphin. Code named "Mr Jones". A little back story to start things off. I am 25 and the fourth generation to own this camper. It was my great grandfather the original Mr Jones, who bought it new. Each male in my family has owned it since. So it has great sentimental value. I myself have called it home several times in my life. Unfortunately it has come to a point where Mr Jones needs to be retired. The dry rot is terrible, most of the appliances don't work. However...the pickup is in running shape, it just needs a new clutch kit. All the men in my family appreciate the value of hard work. As the truck can still be of use the surviving members of my family believe stripping the coach is the best course of action. Even so, my father burst into tears the first time I suggested it. So keeping in mind that this truck is as much of a member of my family as it is a tool, I'm looking for opinions and tips on how to best strip the camper away with the most respect I can. As an add in. Tips on how to seal the cab once the camper is gone would be extremely helpful.

Unless you have really deep pockets the best course of action would be to sell the entire vehicle. (out of sight / out of mind).

Removal of the coach body would leave you with a cab and chassis of which most of the roof and all of the back will be missing.

It could be repaired, but the cost would far exceed any value a cab and chassis would have.

@Fred -Well I'm not exactly made of money. But selling it isn't an option.

@corbin -I haven't quite figured out the specifics just yet. I'm working on the breakdown first so that I can get it under cover. I want to worry about getting it rolling first thing. I need it moving under its own power before spring. And thanks for the suggestions. I will definately take them into consideration as I move forward.

If you have the time and r resourceful then I'd say go for it! Get your family on the hunt for wrecks at junk yards and swap in what you need. Get your friends involved too. If you enjoy this type of work it will be rewarding and your father will be very grateful. Strip it down your flooring is probably a good place to start. Dropping a fiberglass shell on it is something to consider.