I have a 91 Dolphin with the V6 and the ECT button on the dash. Is there a reason I shouldn't leave it in on all the time? Or is it bad for gas mileage or hard on the transmission?

Thanks,

Bob

Having the ECT button on allows the transmission to shift at a higher RPM than in the off position. If you want to hot-rod your motorhome then leave it on. This will put a higher strain on your transmission though. I do not leave it on, I try to back off on the gas just before it shifts.

Thank's for your input. I will keep using it as I need, for holding the gears higher before they shift and keep it off as much as possible for better gas mileage.

Bob

Yes it only effects the shift pattern I would think it is a bit better to leave it in the higher speed shift pattern the Toy home needs all the help it can get it also makes the converter slip less until it goes into lockup.

Is that because of the higher motor speed when shifting, or does the ECT go into the tranny electrically ?? Or maybe affects the vacuum fed to it ??

No vacuum controls that I know in that trans. Shifting is electronically controlled and pushing the ECT just lets it run in a different electronic program. "ECT" stands for electronically controlled transmission - which it is, regardless what mode it is in. Three modes that I know of. ECT button "off" for normal driving, ECT button "on" when you want more horsepower at the end of your shifts, or "default limp mode" then the trans senses problems. The latter may not happen on all of electronic transmissions. I know all of mine have it.