Anyone Know The Production Numbers For The Dolphin

sprite

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY DOLPHINS WHERE BUILT, I HAVE A 1979 M-500, BUT IT'S BUILT ON A 1978 TRUCK WITH A 20R, FOR THE 1980 MODEL YEAR... IS IT RARE TO HAVE A M-500 WITH A 20R?, THOUGHT THEY ONLY CAME WITH 22R, WAS THIS A HICKUP IN THE LINE, OR ONE OF THE FIRST MADE SO USE UP WHAT WAS ON HAND, DOES ANYONE KNOW,, THANKS FOR ANY HELP,,,,

Wikipedia lists the 20R up to 1980 and the 22R from 1980 on. Your 79 chassis would definitely have the 20R. The Dolphins were the most popular brand and made the longest of any of the Toy homes. I would imagine many thousands were made. Don't think production numbers are available though

Linda S

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY DOLPHINS WHERE BUILT, I HAVE A 1979 M-500, BUT IT'S BUILT ON A 1978 TRUCK WITH A 20R, FOR THE 1980 MODEL YEAR... IS IT RARE TO HAVE A M-500 WITH A 20R?, THOUGHT THEY ONLY CAME WITH 22R, WAS THIS A HICKUP IN THE LINE, OR ONE OF THE FIRST MADE SO USE UP WHAT WAS ON HAND, DOES ANYONE KNOW,, THANKS FOR ANY HELP,,,,

There were 8000 Toyota Dolphin motorhomes recalled for rear axle failures in 1991. I assume that means there were approx 8000 Dolphins sold in the USA up to when they got better rear axles around 1986. National RV made them from ca. 1979 to 1990.

Over in the Yahoo Toyota Camper files they have brochures for the Dolphin back to 1976.

The only production numbers I've seen are in the Axle Recall documentation, but no annual production numbers anywhere that I've seen.

I've seen ads for Dolphins back into the 1960s. Not for campers like we're talking about though. I assume the 8000 Dolphins reflected in the recall is the number of Dolphin motorhomes with duallies that had been registered since 1979 and records existed. Model year 1979 and up,

I know that the early dolphin's came with the 20r, but the model 500, i thought only came with the 22r, for the 1980 line, since this was the first year of the 500, right. 1979 was the 400, ?, so if i have a 1978 truck but it's has a 1980 500 camper, thats not a little weird...

Edited by sprite

Dolphin brochures for '76, '77, '78 and '79 list the engine size as 2189cc so the 20R.

'78 models were 200, 300, 400 & 400a. '79 lineup included the 500.

I wonder how many people tried to collect on the Dolphin "lifetime" structural warranty THAT could be expensive depending on how it was worded.

Fortunately (for them) they didn't specify whose 'Lifetime'. :)

Yes. I had some NAPA "lifetime-warranty" brakes wear out. When I asked for new ones - I was informed that the lifetime of their warranty was over. Not a joke. Really happened. But in their case -the small print read that said warranty only covered "defects" or "premature" wear. They said my wear was normal and that was true. Still - often using that "lifetime warranty" thing is misleading. Noticed the same with Bilstein shocks.

By the way - I called Air Lift a few months ago when I bought my new air-suspension kit. I asked about their "lifetime warranty" on the bellows. They told me as long as they are installed correctly for the correct vehicle (as per their catalog) they will fully warranty them for as long as they are in business and those bellows are still available from Goodyear. Seems like as good as a warranty can get.

awesome thanks so much for the help. now I just need to find a buyer for my sweet little yoda... any offers. ;}

• 6 years later...

The truck is 78 but the fake duallies were added when it was made by the motorhome company. They were not part of the truck chassis from Toyota. Yes they are the recalled ones. Hell even if it had been an earlier truck it still would have potentially been just as dangerous. A recall is a negotiation with the manufacturer to get them to accept it. They try to include as many vehicles with the same problems as possible. It doesn't mean they get them all but it doesn't make the ones they miss any  safer.

There is nothing strange about your vehicle weight rating. It's 4600 pounds nothing more and nothing less. Axle ratings can not be combined to make a GVWR. There's a whole frame in between there too

Linda S

Your truck is a transition year. I have the same setup. For the first 6 months of 1979 Toyota rebadged the 1978’s as 1979. Around June they came out with a newer body style easily identified as it only has 2 headlights instead of 4.

For all intents and purposes, use the 1978 year for any parts you may need.

• 1 month later...

I have a semi-related question- I have an 86 with the duallies and my local mechanics insist they cannot top up the air in the inside tire- is there a thread on here about work-arounds for this? I bought some valve extenders but apparently they are not going to work. trying to figure out a simple solution ( if one exists.)

So if you have the 1986 six hole wheels it seems close to impossible to fit valve extenders. I tried and nothing worked. In my case I lucked out and still had the factory extender for the inside wheel that does allow you to add air to it. The 6 hole wheel has smaller holes and when you add almost any extender it hits the inside of the outside wheel. Rubber and metal combo valves on the wheels is a must if you manage to find anything that fits. And to all doubters, factory valves were a rubber metal combo. I bought my Sunrader with 32,000 miles and the original Bridgestone tires dated 11/85.  My factory extenders would not fit if the valves were inflexible metal . Flexes just enough to allow the extender to go up the side of the hole instead of hit it. I've seen some people who used long brass bendable valves and that's the only thing I think might work but you would have to replace all your tire valves on the inside tires in the back. I don't know why they can't get a chuck in there though. Would love some other comments but just know, if you have a 3 hole wheel it's not the same. Those are easy 

Linda S