Gila Wilderness

Debbit

This morning we are leaving to go into some very beautiful, seldom used areas in New Mexico's Gila Wilderness. Beautiful, rough and unimproved. Usually we would take our westfalia on a trip like this, but we want to "not so rough it". Should be fun!

Hi Debbit,

Beautiful camping spot! Could you share which road you were on? I'm planning on a trip to the Gila from Tucson in mid-July. This will be the first off-pavement trip and I don't want to get over my head.

Thanks, Ken

This is past Pinos Altos, rt 15, turn off at meadow creek. Some roads are closed, due to recent fire area. Road is rough, but slow and careful will get you to some nice spots.

Thanks Debbit

I'm glad to see Rt 15 is navigable. I've been up it in an SUV but I'm new to this Toyhome game. Very much looking forward to it!

Google Earth pictures show snow all around Meadow Creek Rd. Ha! We should be so lucky. Here in Tucson we're starting to get some monsoon action, though. How 'bout you?

Thanks again,

Ken

I wish! Still very dry. We have had a couple of cloudy days, one cloudburst. No gully washers yet! Have you ever gone camping up Mt. graham?

Yes, we have been up Mt.Graham and it is fantastic but we haven't been since the mid 90's. It is a very tall mountain and the road is steep and with switchbacks. We were driving an overloaded Subaru wagon and it struggled but made it. Of course at that time we weren't worried about the vehicle being to big to navigate the turns but I don't think it would be a problem for a Toyhome. There are several campgrounds but they had a fire several years ago and I don't know if any were affected. It is very much worth the trip.

Edit: I remember numerous bears.

And apparently the campgrounds survived:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd47vK5R1TM

Edited by kgibson4

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a trip to the Gila National Forest using the great tip from Debbit. The drive from Silver City, NM up to Meadow Creek Rd was fantastic; a great forested relief after a couple hundred miles through Southwest desert. The Forest Service road is great though a little daunting for my first time off pavement with the Odyssey. Taking it slow and easy, the Toy was more than up to the task and we ended up at a beautiful, quiet and level camp. Didn't even need the leveling blocks!

I spent a few days exploring and enjoying the cool and then headed back to Tucson. Stopped in Silver City to check out "Big Ditch Day", a local celebration of the flood in 1895 that swept down main street and left a 50 ft deep ditch. They made it into a park in the '70's.

The highlight for me was a local acoustic band with guitar, banjo, mandolin, bodrun, bass fiddle, and 6 or 7 violins! Great tunes and some regional culture dances, too.

Silver City, don't miss it! Lots of history and great people.

post-7774-0-85226700-1405962276_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Great!

We just got back from another wonderful Gila Wilderness trip. Continues to amaze.

Went via I 25 off at Kingston through Hillsboro, up to Emory pass then spent the night at iron creek.

Much evidence of very heavy rain and flas floods. Then to Sapillo campground for the night, next day to Roberts lake (boat ramp and dam under construction, the to Gila Cliff Dwellings for a day of fascinating, beautiful history.

Home for a check on things, then back out tomorrow.

Silver city, Glenwood (and catwalks) then on to Mt. Graham then later in week to Tucson to see son and family. We were going on to CA and some beaches, but probably will run out of wanderlust.

post-7310-0-24945600-1409456582_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-89545300-1409456633_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-07810900-1409456849_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-23133800-1409456986_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-12005300-1409457014_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-36792700-1409457433_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-26672200-1409457479_thumb.jp

• 10 months later...

I live in Taos, New Mexico and love it in the Gila. The fires were devastating. Emory Pass is amazing, especially coming from the west. There are great restaurants in Silver City. If you're near here go to T or C also. It's got great hot springs. Riverbend is our favorite. There's an Italian restaurant in T or C that has the best scallop appetizer I've ever had. New Mexico is beautiful to drive through with state and nat'l parks that will make your jaw drop. Agua Piedre and Hopewell Lake in the the north part of the state are two of my favorites. We have a 87 Seabreeze and I want to put a 4.56 rearend on for more umphhh going up the mountain grades. That will be next year,this year it was a tach and tranny temp gauge.