5 Day Trip Nocal And Or Coast Then Portland

FredNewell

North from Fortuna CA to Newport OR on US101. Then to Portland for 3 nights via hwy 20 to Corvallis and north on I-5. Drove around doing errands in Portland. Return via I-5 to Grants Pass and on to Crescent City via 299 then Fortuna.

1060 miles. An honest 16 mpg for the trip. Our best ever.

Front axel wt 1900#

Rear axel wt 3800#

Total 5700 on scales full of fuel, propane, freshwater tank full, waste tanks empty, 2 persons and a dog.

Modern Hippies in VWs waved to us. In Portland near my Dad's house, locals sneered - musta been the CA plates. I get it. Sunshine envy. Maybe my driving???

We waved to a fellow Toyota MH in Cave Junction. Later he passed us on an uphill while towing a motorcycle. Winnebago late 80's???

We had a great time. MH ran great. Burning only one tank per day between overnights suits us.

4cyl 4 speed is well suited to Oregon. We drove I-5 at 62-65 mph.

Camped at Gold Beach one night, then Seal Rock.

Full hookups are around $40 these days.

An honest 16 mpg for the trip. Our best ever.

4cyl 4 speed is well suited to Oregon. We drove I-5 at 62-65 mph.

4 speed automatic trans or 4 speed manual trans?

I want to add this... The Oregon Coast is the best of the three west coast states. All three are interesting and nice, but for camping and sightseeing, Oregon takes it, in my opinion.

Also, we've had several RVs of different types, and the Toyota MH holds it's own against any other. Mine is not perfect due to it's age, but i intend to keep it going for at least another decade.

Some things that make the Toyota good for us are...

1) new upholstery.

2) Wet Okole seat covers.

3) new cab carpet and door inserts.

4) white vinyl floor in coach.

5) roof air conditioner removal.

6) all new roof vents and escape hatch, and window resets... it is about as weather proof as it can get.

7) New tires and spare.

8) New plugs and wires.

9) New deep cycle battery.

Some things on our wish list...

1) wish my propane system and all appliances worked better... there seems to be a pressure problem even with the new propane bottle and regulator.

2) wish I had a webber carb setup.

3) wish my hood didn't wobble (sheet metal came loose from frame)

4) wish the cab body had a new paint job.

I accept imperfection, but there will always be a "next" project on an old RV.

I want to add this... The Oregon Coast is the best of the three west coast states. All three are interesting and nice, but for camping and sightseeing, Oregon takes it, in my opinion.

Oregon coast rules! A lot of places to pull off and have lunch with some of the most spectacular views around!

#1 State parks require no fee pass to enter and look around. Try that in Washington State!

Zach,

If you'll be in the area this July, Hard Times Bluegrass Festival will be held on the 25th through the 27th. The site is south of Hamilton a ways on a farm. It'll be my first trip of any length in the Dolphin this year. (No, I haven't sold it, yet.)

Google the festival for directions.

John

Thanks John. I think this one used to be big, then died for a few years, then came back within the last couple years? I've heard good things about it. That's the same weekend as the Red Ants Pants Music Festival...And the Archie Bray Brickyard Bash...big weekend! I'll need to pick my options wisely...

Glad to hear you've still got the Dolphin for now.

Would be cool to play some bluegrass with you. I will almost definitely be in Montana during that time; just a matter of what I decide to do. This is the way it always is all summer long in Montana...nothing much going on all winter, then suddenly you have to choose between 4 different things going on every weekend all summer.

Zach,

I've been to that bluegrass festival in Hamilton that you're talking about. This one is different. It is put on by Mike and Tari Conroy. I think this is the fifth year for Hard Times. A nice feature of their festival is the fact that every year, along with lots of regional acts, they feature some "old timers" who have been involved in Montana bluegrass for decades. Mike and Tari are very old school, traditional bluegrass musicians (Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers, etc.) and the people they attract to the festival tend to be the same, although the jamming around the grounds will feature just about everything country/bluegrass.

Anyway, if you make it there, look for the Dolphin...

John

Interesting. Probably gets a lot of the MRBA folks from Missoula.

Sounds good. It's one of those things...I definitely want to go, it's just a matter of what I pick as the priority, with all the other stuff going on that weekend.

I will look for it if I go.

• 8 months later...

Late spring, early summer. BEFORE school lets out.

• 1 month later...

Check the fog maps...you don't want to spend your time trying to see the coast through a haze which will happen for all of the morning and a good part of the afternoon for part of the summer months. There are websites about it telling when that happens. There should be two good windows of opportunity at each end of summer when it is not too wet and cold or foggy. Of course the fog does keep the heat from having a chance to build up too high during the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Repeating the Oregon Coast and over to Portland for a family wedding.  This is our third trip this way in the Dolphin.  Leaving next Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Returned home safe and sound.  We spent one night at an RV park at the south end of Gold Beach OR.  Two nights at an RV park at Seal Rock OR.  Then four nights at Pheasant Hill RV park in Wilsonville OR - one very nice park with plenty of stores nearby, like Costco.  Indoor pool.  

I met some guys with their vintage restored trailers.  One real nice one is a mid-60's Boles Aero.  Sorry no photos were taken.

I had decided to sell the Dolphin, but have changed my mind for now.