Recharging Rooftop Ac

The older ones use R22 the same as a home refrigerator. There should metal tag somewhere on it stating what refrigerant was used. I don't know if you can even buy it. Also it must be leaking somewhere so that would have to be found and repaired.

Linda S

If it's a newer AC unit, 1996 or later, Carrier switched to something called puron R410A

Thanks Linda S

It is a newer model but not sure yet what year. I will take the exterior cover off and look for tag and charging port. It blows cool air but nothing like I believe it should. Thank you for the quick reply!!

It sits on top of a 1991 Dolphin Seabreeze, but is not the original AC

Can I recharge my rooftop AC?? It is a carrier 13,500 btu unit. I would prefer to do it myself if possible. What type of freon does it use?

Unlike the AC systems with compressors under the hood - roof-top AC units have no rubber hoses to leak. At least, none I've seen. My point being is that when refrigerant is low on that type of AC unit - it's more apt to be something major as opposed to a few -o-rings or rubber-hose problem. if you haven't done so already - It would behoove you to do a good vacuum test and a pressure test before trying to recharge. That is unless you get refrigerant cheap and don't mind if a recharge does not work.

Doesn't hold much. Probably 15-18 ounces of R22. Some of the roof-top AC unit have no charge valves like the AC system does under the hood. If not - add-on piercing-valve might have to be used ($5-$10 item). If the system is totally dead- you shouldn't add refrigerant until you pull a vacuum on it and boil out any moisture in there.

Thank you for your reply, I have read every thread on this forum, some several times, and I feel this is the BEST FORUM ever!!! Thanks to all you great Toy owners. I have a 1991 Dolphin Seabreeze that I bought for $2000 with generator V6 engine and the only thing that I found is one wall has dry rot, easy fix for me. Love it and fun to drive!!

Check your discharge temp at the vent if it's in the 40* range it's all you get MH's are hard to cool sitting out in the sun the best mine ever did was lower the humidity and the temp maybe 10-15 degrees.

Can I recharge my rooftop AC?? It is a carrier 13,500 btu unit. I would prefer to do it myself if possible. What type of freon does it use?

What symptoms are you having that indicate you need to recharge?

Two blocked

The air just does not seem like it is cold enough, other than that it removes the humidity real well, the water runs off the roof when the AC is on.

Maineah

I think the air temp it blows is more like 50 degrees, but I will check when I try it next time.

Thanks for your help!!

The typical RV roof AC will only show a 20-25 temperature drop when its running. We're talking about room temp vs AC outlet temp

Two blocked

The air just does not seem like it is cold enough, other than that it removes the humidity real well, the water runs off the roof when the AC is on.

Removing humidity is hard work for any AC unit. Make sure you have all the windows and vents closed in your RV. You want to re-circulate the air inside and not bring in any outside air that will require extra work to remove humidity.

If water is running off the roof I'd say the unit is operating pretty well. It's just that you have some tough conditions for an AC. (i.e. high humidity)

maineah and WME have the right idea. Take temperature readings in the coach and the discharge at the AC. A 20-30 degree differential is about all you can expect.

• 5 months later...

After playing around with the A/C this summer I took off the exterior shroud and seen that nothing under the cover was insulated from the heat of the sun. I took bubble wrap and contact adhesive and wrapped all areas that were cool to the touch (with in reason) What a HUGE DIFFERENCE it made. Now the compressor seldom runs and it is COLD in my toy. Bummer time to put her in storage for winter:-(

Also if you suspect a leak ... go to walmart and buy a cheapo college kids black light. r22 glows like the predator being shot by Schwarzenegger. If its leaking you will see it with the black light at night and can determine if it warrants further work/money or replacement.