Just Got Home And Already Hate New York

zero

We just got after driving a little over two days. From northern Michigan to central NY. Camped in Ohio and Pennsylvania along the way. When we finally got to NY - at the PA line - the road went from perfect to huge potholes everywhere. Then when on Interstate 86 near the Salamanca Indian area - the entire highway was closed and all Interstate traffic was diverted through a small town and very narrow road. Then - where huge tractor trailers were having trouble squeezing through . . a NY state trooper pulled us over right in the middle of us and blocked traffic for miles. He also put a lot of lives in danger. Why? Because I had no NY inspection sticker on the windshield. We were in Michigan for six months and there was no way to get it inspected out-of-state. I told the trooper I'd been in NY for less then 1 hour and had been off the interstate for maybe 5 minutes? He replied . . "well you should of found an inspection station by now." So that was that. Real nice guy! We had chickens inside the motorhome and the rooster started crowing while the trooper was there. I'm lucky I guess that he didn't pull his gun. Chickens were in the bathroom. Also in the other areas - a fat cat, dog, 10 year old boy, me and my wife.

Then to make things worse - when within 50 miles of where we live - there were state troopers everywhere. I've never seen so many in my life. I bet we saw over 50. All because Obama came for a visit to Cooperstown.

Got home and pulled in the driveway and smelled burning oil. With the engine idling- there was visible smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Now I'm wondering if the steep hill climbs in NY did some damage. It's a 2.4 EFI with 145,000 miles. I checked oil after driving 600 miles and it uses no oil at all. Now in NY - it's down half a quart. So it seems it started burning at the near end of the trip where all the big climbs were. I just put Mobil 1 in it also and now kind of wishing I hadn't. Who knows?

Here are some fuel mileage figures. Did pretty good in my opinion. Oddly got some of the best MPGs going 60 MPH and climbing hills and worse doing 55 in flatland.

107 miles 7.4 gallons 14.45 MPG

106.7 mil,es 7.5 gallons 14.45 MPG

85.7 miles 5.9 gallons 14.52 MPG

104.8 miles 7.5 gallons 13.9 MPG

118.5 miles 7.7 gallons 15.3 MPG

95.2 miles 6.3 gallons 15.1 MPG

125.5 miles 9 gallons 13.9 MPG

118.3 miles 7.49 gallons 15.7 MPG

130.1 miles 9 gallons 14.45 (worse hill climbs and 60-65 MPH)

post-6578-0-03977600-1400850803_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-16631400-1400850804_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-17183900-1400850805_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-90892300-1400850805_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-01701200-1400850807_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-14164500-1400850808_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-96120400-1400850808_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-95466400-1400850809_thumb.jp

A few more. Photos were the Genessee River, Chautauqua Lake, Alleghany River (NY) and Pymatuning State park in Ohio.

post-6578-0-04010200-1400851130_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-99508600-1400851130_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-43578900-1400851132_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-28725300-1400851133_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-17227400-1400851134_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-08564400-1400851135_thumb.jp

valve job time. I cannot imagine leaving the freedom of Michigan for the oppression and personal risk suffered for just being in NY.

Its actually a higher insurance rate there for just being in that state; a risk to your very life.

I checked and it does seem New York is very unreasonable about that inspection. If your out of state your supposed to ask for an extension that they need to send to you and a state trooper can still ticket you even with that. When your traveling where the blank are they supposed to send it. Even so I miss my home state and here in dry California those lovely pics of water look like paradise.

Linda S

valve job time. I cannot imagine leaving the freedom of Michigan for the oppression and personal risk suffered for just being in NY.

Its actually a higher insurance rate there for just being in that state; a risk to your very life.

We are in agreement. My wife and and I are starting the process of selling off everything in New York and heading back to Michigan. Hopefully by late August. I'll miss the mountains - but having Lake Huron and Lake Superior close by with miles of wild shoreline - pretty much makes up for the flatter land. I'll also miss the NY Adirondacks - but the Eastern UP is a good substitute. We already have two places in northern Michigan and I look forward to becoming full-time residents and getting the subsequent tax-break. Here in New York - our own governor recently stated that "his" state does want us ("us" meaning anyone who is not a radical liberal). Gas and diesel are both cheaper in Michigan, home heating fuel is cheaper, home schooling for our last kid is MUCH easier and friendlier, NO annual motor-vehicle inspection, life-time trailer registration, much more sensible gun and ammo laws, etc. I cannot even buy ammo on-line anymore in NY. No ammo by mail, no sling-shots (dangerous firearms!), no removable gun magazines over 10 rounds, etc. Starting next year in New York - people who owns a boat must attend state classes and get "certified" to be safe with their boat. It's going to start with new owners and after a few years - even people with 60 years of experience must attend "training" and get certified. The State of NY has gone liberal-mad!

In regard to the State Trooper and his "welcome back to NY" ticket to me? I just found out I was 100% legal and Mr.Trooper did not know the law. So not only did he endanger our lives - we'd done nothing wrong. I just got the paperwork from the DMV to prove my point. If I put NY plates on a vehicle that is in another state - I have 10 days AFTER I cross the border into NY. He gave us the ticket before we'd been there one hour. You'd think for $75,000 a year - a Trooper would know better. Maybe even go chase a criminal somewhere.

Not sure what went wrong with the truck. Still runs perfect. Just has an oil smell in the exhaust and is obviously burning some oil now. Valve-guide and/or valve-seal? Broken oil-control ring on a piston? I'm debating if I want to pull the head and maybe - put four new pistons, rings, and rod-bearings into it - and/or a new head OR some head-work. Not long ago - complete brand new heads with cam were dirt-cheap. I'll have to check around.

I checked and it does seem New York is very unreasonable about that inspection. If your out of state your supposed to ask for an extension that they need to send to you and a state trooper can still ticket you even with that. When your traveling where the blank are they supposed to send it. Even so I miss my home state and here in dry California those lovely pics of water look like paradise.

Linda S

My "permission" to drive with no inspection was written right on the back of my sticker, but I didn't notice. Seems a $75,000 a year State cop ought to know though -especially before he decides to make someone pull over in a very dangerous area. He told me I was "in violation" because I was required to get the RV inspected as soon as I crossed the state line. Ends up it is written right on the sticker that I have 10 days if the vehicle had been out-of-state.

Something neat about Michigan that NY never allows. If you buy any motorvehicle - you get one day to drive it home with no paperwork at all. No temp registration, no insurance, no nothing. If I did that in NY - I'd probably be in jail.

post-6578-0-90154000-1400877285_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-19835400-1400877287_thumb.jp

I bought a new cam and head setup and did an inframe okie overhaul. Oil went from 1 qt every 500 mi tp 1 pint every 3000. You can get the pan off by removing the idler arm.

With a extra hand you can remove the head and leave the timing cover on, but this is a real good time to change the timing chain and guides.

Check out Wy., we have real mountains not them puny east coast things. Cowboy style open carry, of a side arm is permited by law without paper work. You can apply for a conceled carry permit and the state MUST issue it to unless you are a convicted felon.

Needless to say ammo is easy to get. Although the local tv stations are running report of shortages in some calibers so you should buy ammo for the next hunting season now and be sure to get enough so you can properly practice so you don't miss a shot.

Gas is 3.42 a gallon because the state raised taxes this year.

Almost forgot, lots of home schooling here the state handles it well. Another almost forgot, no income tax, just property tax and a 4% sales tax with a 1% kicker voted on by each city for specials. Only one kicker tax allowed at a time.

I bought a new cam and head setup and did an inframe okie overhaul.

Check out Wy., we have real mountains not them puny east coast things.

My son lives in Colorado and does a lot of elk hunting in Wyoming. Certainly got steep "hills" from what I've seen. He put tire chains on all four wheels of his diesel Suburban and cracked the cylinder-heads doing some climbs there. Too much fuel, too little air and too much exhaust port heat. RE ammo - I've got over 10,000 rounds stocked up. .22, .223, 7.62 X 39 and 30.06. I'm glad I got it when I could - before the shortages, price hikes - and NY ban.

Question . . what cylinder head did you buy? I used to work in a auto machine-shop and do heads all day long (30 years ago). Now? With this aluminum overhead cam head -I'm very temped to just buy a brand new complete head with cam. I can get a DIJ brand for $258. At that price - it's pretty tempting. I figure it's made in China but might still be fine. I wish I had a way of knowing. When my son blew both heads on his Chevy 6.2 diesel . . he replaced them with new Chinese heads and they were much better heads then GM ever used on the 6.2s or 6.5s. My tentative plan is to replace the entire head. Pull the pistons and assuming there is little cylinder wear - just put in new pistons, rings, and rod-bearings after a little deglazing. The pistons on high mile engines tend to wear more then the rings so just putting in rings is often a waste of time. I'm glad to hear that oil pan will come off without lifting the engine off. I've never had a small Japanese four-banger apart of any make. Just big engines in trucks and bigger ones in farm/industrial equipment.

I used the head and cam set from engnbldr.com. And I used Deeves cast steel rings. I watched Ebay for a couple of months and finally found a used/new head and cam. It was the classic "I just bought the head, but I wrecked my truck before I could install it".

I used the head and cam set from engnbldr.com. And I used Deeves cast steel rings. I watched Ebay for a couple of months and finally found a used/new head and cam. It was the classic "I just bought the head, but I wrecked my truck before I could install it".

That engine builder place has a good rep from what I've read. The new heads they sell are cast by Topline and made in Argentina. I don't know of any way to ascertain if the engine-builder heads from Argentina are any better or worse then those from China. I've got to search around more for any relevant reviews. The Chinese heads with new cam are $258. Topline head with valves and cam is $548. BIG price difference.

You put in new rings but used the old pistons? If so - I assume the top ring grooves weren't worn? I've got NO experience with the internals of Toyota engines and thus the questions. Just about any high mile engine I've had apart of any make had worn top piston grooves and too much ring side-clearance. That means - new pistons or rebuilding the old pistons with regrooving and Hastings shim kits. Just got done rebuilding the pistons on a John Deere engine. New pistons were $200 each and that made fixing the old ones cost-effective. I can buy new Toyota pistons for $15 each with rings - but haven't found out yet what sort of rings. I'd prefer top rings that are not cast, but we'll see. I'm not building a race engine but do want the most durability for the buck. I also a hard face on the top rings when put against a used cylinder wall.

My engine was overheated by the PO and used lots of oil. It had 65k on it. There was no ridge in the cylinder. The ring clearance was ok with the used pistons, I used a dingle ball hone and really cleaned the bore after honing. I paid $275 for the cam and head.
I never been a fan of planing a warped OHC aluminum head.
Personal likes, I don't like chrome faced rings for this use, moly is nice but will flake under detonation so that why Deeves rings. Hastings makes good iron rings that will seat fast on a proper cylinder wall. But they will only run a 100k or so. Of course that's not a real problem with our motorhomes. A 100k is like forever

My engine was overheated by the PO and used lots of oil. It had 65k on it. There was no ridge in the cylinder. The ring clearance was ok with the used pistons, I used a dingle ball hone and really cleaned the bore after honing. I paid $275 for the cam and head.

I never been a fan of planing a warped OHC aluminum head.

Personal likes, I don't like chrome faced rings for this use, moly is nice but will flake under detonation so that why Deeves rings. Hastings makes good iron rings that will seat fast on a proper cylinder wall. But they will only run a 100k or so. Of course that's not a real problem with our motorhomes. A 100k is like forever

Thanks for the info.

Cast iron rings are good if you want your rings to wear faster then the cylinder walls. They are soft and seat fast and work well with imperfect cylinder-walls. I've used Chrome-faced (ductile iron core) with all the HD diesel engine work I've done. I've had very little experience with small light-duty gas engines like this 2.4 Toyota. Note that with the heavy diesels I've worked with - the cylinder walls are always new since part of the rebuild is to pop in new sleeves. Even with the new sleeves - we've had our share of ring-seating problems. Especially when a rebuild is done and no dyno is available to break the engine in for a day.

The insides of this little Toyota engine are new to me and thus the questions. I'd rather ask a lot of questions and do some research -and do the job as right as possible the first time. The enginebuilder guy who sells the heads like you got - uses gas-nitride faced steel rings made by NPR. Might be the same style of rings you got from Deves? That's that sort of ring I think I want to use.

In regard to the head - I found a lot of bad things being said about the Chinese heads. How true the bad comments are - I have no idea. Many claim their seats are soft and the aluminum alloy they use is inferior. So ??? I think I'll pull mine apart and look it over first. Fixing the old stock head might give me something better then a new Chinese head. If I needed a different head -I think I'd opt for that the engine-builder guy sells. Heads made in Spain or Argentina (like you got).

For now -guess I need to find out what actually went wrong. Something all of a sudden is letting oil into the combustion chamber. Valve-guide seal or piston ring, I assume. With 150K miles though - powering this RV all these years - it's probably due for some work anyway. I don't need it to last another 150K RV miles . I'd be dead before that. What I DO want is something that can take some abuse and not crap out from it. Like driving up some long steep mountain roads with the pedal down near the floor - trying to keep people behind me from freaking out from my slow speed.

Random thoughts, rebuilding your head is cheaper for sure. Just check for corrosion in the water jackets. Lack of proper care will cause thin spots in the head.

Steel chain guides are a good investment.

There is a hidden head bolt that lives hidden in a oil pocket under the distributor drive, it clamps the timing cover to the head.

Leave the exhaust header/exhaust down pipe intact if possible (just pry the header back to get the head off)

Just remove the idler arm and pull down on the tie rod to get enough space to drop the oil pan.

The oil pump is a gear rotor in the front timing cover so nows the time to replace it if there is any question about oil pressure.

The only reason why I was considering a new head and cam assembly is because some are so cheap. This engine ran fine. In fact,still does other then the oil being burnt now. I'm sure if I yank the valves out and start checking seats, valve-faces, guides, etc. - I'll wind up getting 8 new seats, 8 new guides, all new exhaust valves, springs and retainers, etc. It adds up.

I've got two 1988 22RE engines here. I'm going to pull the one apart in the Mini-Cruiser first and see IF anything is suspect in the head. If it's the oil problem source - it would have to be a guide, stem-seal, etc. If I see nothing - I'll assume it's a broken piston ring. If I'm at that point - maybe I'll yank apart the other 22RE that's in my shop in storage - and check it out. This spare engine came in a 1988 1 ton box truck I stripped and junked. The owner had the original 22RE blow at 200K miles. So he paid to have a so-called "good used low-mile engine" installed. Shortly after the head gasket blew and he sold the entire rig to me for $500. At the time - I only wanted it for the FF rear. Like a fool - I gave that good A43D trans away -for free - to one of the people on this forum. At the time I figured I'd never want it for anything. Now that I have this 88 Mini-Cruiser - I wish I had that trans for a spare.

I got looking at Toyota specs and see those piston rings are tiny. I can see why steel would be desired for a ring that small. I wonder what Toyota used OEM?

Why? I started the thread and WME replied with some good info. In turn, I replied to that and some info swapping took place. Personally, I like conversations that evolve. For those who have no interest in certain aspects of the discussion - why not just stop reading the thread? My specific problems with the engine relate to the the last trip I took and climbing steep hills. Any remedy is relevant enough for me. I can understand some concern when someone starts a thread and then someone jumps in and takes it far away in the wrong direction. Not the case here. I initiated this one. Karin - previously - you accused me of "hijacking" a thread that I started. I'm still trying to figure that one out. If you are not interested - why not just stop following it?

My only concern is that the useful info on 'replace' vs 'rebuild' etc is lost/buried in a post in Trip Reports, though anyone using the Search function will find the thread (if the right search terms are used). Better in the 'wrong' (if there is such a thing) area than not at all. :)

the above post ^ imho is trolling. you aren't adding anything to the conversation other than trying to move it, find problems with it and accuse the writer of nefariously giving bad mechanical advise and therein is a real problem because mechanics are generally applicable to any engine, some may have peculiarities but the "common core" of mechanics changes very little.

as far as being foolish, to quote Obi Wan Kenobi, who is more foolish, the fool or the fool that follows him?

Idea JD when you actually start twisting wrenches start a new post (with lots of pics) in the engine section

Posts do lead into other topics all the time and this was a result of a trip. The moderators do not do a good jobs of splitting posts into new topics if they do at all.

Also why complain when you have topics like "What did you do to your toyhome lately?" Try digging through that one! The moderators should pipe up and tell us if they prefer posts to live their live or spit them off if they run another course.

And just for fun facts we just took this topic off to another path. Funny that folks who start complaining end up being the root cause of it all. ;-)

I think many of us can relate to that love/hate relationship with where you live. At times you see the place through different eyes. I used to absolutely live the little county in the mountains where I am. But as I get older and my life changes, I see more of the negative than the good in this area. Maybe that's what attracted me to getting my toy - the chance to explore new places.

Just a general statement for anyone that cares.

#1 I still love the state of New York. I personally find it to be one of the most beautiful places in the USA. What I hate it how it's turned into a super-liberal, super-regulated place which it was not when I moved here in 1977. We now have a mostly rural state run by a small contingent of New York City people. So yes, things change as does my overall fondness for the place. Has anyone really liked something when it was one thing, and then later not liked it when it changed to something else? Just in the past 2 years - we've got a governor who has stated that "conservative republicans are not welcome here." Buying rifle or piston ammo on-line has been banned since last year. I can no longer sell farm animals at local auctions without expensive health certificates from vets. I cannot even buy a slingshot here for my kid anymore. Home schooling has gotten very regulated. We have annual motor vehicle inspections that have gone way up in cost. I near lost part of my farm to eminent domain (legal stealing of land). Property taxes have doubled in the past three years. Home insurance has doubled. We no longer are allowed to do an open burn of anything without a special permit. I cannot even burn a paper bag in the middle of my 80 acres without breaking the law. Boats? New York just passed a law that anyone with a boat will soon have to receive state training and get certified to keep on using it. Even if a person has 60 years of accident free boat experience - he/she must get the "training." The list just goes on and on. Again - not sure why this sort of scenario would confuse anyone. I can write an equally long list of how much better the state of Michigan is - as far as regs go.

On the subject of auto mechanics and my lack of experience with a 2400 cc Toyota engine? Maybe a few people feel that negates anything I have to say? If so, so be it. Hopefully we are free to read and believe as we see fit on these forums, I've got over 40 years professional experience as a heavy equipment and diesel mechanic. I've worked at two auto dealerships and three John Deere dealerships. I also helped run an automotive machine shop and a Stanadyne/CAV fuel injection repair business. Also ran my own auto repair business. I've rebuilt many small Japanese engines - but they were Datsun, Subaru, and Isuzu. So yes - I confess I have never had a 22RE apart and thus the reason why I asked a person who has - some questions. I have never professed to know everything and I freely admit when there is some aspect of something I have no experience with. Also - when I got started getting greasy - engines tended to be large and cast-iron, and camshafts were rarely in the head with the stuff I was working on. Often even the valves were not in the head. We did most of our machine work "in house" including crank build-up and regrinding, cylinder-head repair, cylinder boring, piston regrooving and skirt knurfling, etc. Now adays most repair shops just remove and replace components. Things have evolved - as I am also trying to do. When it comes to something like a little 2400 cc Toyota motor and actually working on the components "in house" . . I have found more people on these forums who have done it - than in local repair shops. We have three shops in my town. None would ever consider "reringing and honing" an engine nor would any attempt a "valve job" in-house. They would just swap in a rebuilt long-block, engine, or head that was rebuilt elsewhere. Not much knowledge to be gleaned from that except how to spend money.

Idea JD when you actually start twisting wrenches start a new post (with lots of pics) in the engine section

Yes good idea and will do. One last commentary on the “state of my engine.”

Spent half a day moving bulldozers and tractors around to make room in a pole barn to fit the Mini-Cruiser in. My regular repair shop only has a 9 foot tall door. A few inches too low for my Toyota unless I give it four flat tires.

Once in, I yanked the plugs and did a compression test. Got a perfect 175 PSI on all four.

Inspected the plugs and all look clean and the same. I.e. no one plug that looks different or worse then the rest.

Pulled off the valve cover. Looks extremely clean and unworn. Cam follower adjustments are just about dead-on. An indication no valve seat recession. At least – not recent.

Chain looks fine even though it has the plastic guides on the sides.

Pried on the valves – sideways – and there is no notable wear.

So now - I’m getting hesitant to pull it all apart.

I’m thinking of just replacing the valve-stem seals and putting in new head bolts. Obviously – I had to take out the head bolts to get the cam-follower-assembly off. Now – I figure I don’t dare put compressed air into a cylinder to hold the valves closed if I choose to replace the valve-stem seals. So – I think – I’m going to make 1 7/8 “ thick spacers so I can put four head bolts in, one cylinder at a time. This way I can hook air to the spark-plug hole to hold the valves in place. This so I can remove the valve locks, retainers, and springs and install new seals. I’m aquainted with other ways to hold the valves – like with a piece of rope – but prefer the compressed air method.

Also – three of the head bolts look awful. Not on top or at the bottom by the threads. The middles of the shanks look very eroded. Looks more like from heat and not from coolant or whatever.

I ordered a head-gasket set with new valve seals along with a bolt-set. By the time it gets here – I’ll have to decide if I’m going to yank the head . . or just put in new head bolts and valve-stem seals. I’m tempted to try the latter. If the engine still gives me some trouble – I can always pull it apart more later. It runs so good now – and tests so good – it’s hard to decide. I’ve put new valve-seals in many engines over the years with good success. But never had to do one that required taking out the head-bolts first.

We love you! JD!

Has anyone really liked something when it was one thing, and then later not liked it when it changed to something else?

Yes I can sure say that but the pendulum tends to swing one way then back the other in time. Washington State...Got rid of the high vehicle registration tax 10 years ago, no vehicle inspection. Lately taxes went though the roof on gas and alcohol. Found that if you cut one way you add in another way. Well you can say too that things are getting mighty weird. Wacky weed is legal now, residential houses are exploding from folks trying to purify it into hash oil. On the bright side my Toy is now exempt from yearly emission testing, we'll see how long that lasts.

No one should frown on you for asking questions on the 22RE. 80% of the forum owns a 22 of some kind and I wouldn't care what area of the forum we're in, that kind of question is valid. A lot good things are buried deep in these posts. Even if they are in the right area, forums get to big to find things manually. The search function is best.

You can't beat the mechanics here at the forum, JD you are a subject matter expert and thanks for sharing your experiences and techniques with us.

I agree that things can swing one way and then the other. That being said - I don't think there is any saving New York anymore. There has been a mass exodus from this state by others who are also a little "upset."

I saw this happen in New Jersey 50 years ago, and then northern Vermont in the mid 70s. Now it's central New York. When I moved here - this was a tight-knit dairy farming community. Just this one small town had 70 working dairy farms. Now there are two. The area has radically changed.

I'm am sure I suffer from the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" thing, now and then. My wife is on a more slow-and-steady even keel as compared to me. Even she has just about had it - even though we both love New York state when it comes to the land.

Michigan would of been one of the last places I'd ever thought about. But blame my wife. She is a native Michigander - although she is a troll (UP people know what that IS). Because she has relatives at the northern tip of the lower peninsula - we've been going there for 10 -15 years. We bought an old farm and and few foreclosed homes to work on (and sell). For years - I envisioned Michigan going the same route as New York. But now - seems like it's starting to turn around. Like Wisconsin, Michigan has a conservative governor that has done some difficult and good things. How long that will last - time will only tell. So far - I am impressed. Impressed enough to get the heck out of NY and live in northern MI. The lack of hills in Michigan is made up by the close-by great lakes and wild/natural shorelines. Also the absence of regs as compared to NY. Michigan even repealed the motorcycle helmet law! Not that it's a huge deal but . . how often do you see a regulation actually get wiped off the books instead of being created? Can't recall any ever happening in NY. Michigan also became a "right to work" state which is pretty amazing considering the big unions that reside there.

We'll see. I'll be lucky to live another 20 years (REAL lucky). Won't live long enough to ever see a turn-around in NY.

Yessir, thank Ricky Snyder for that helmet law being erased as well. Rick saw the helmet law as antiquated because Ohio and Indianna had niced it and he intelligently thought "like a biker on a bike" well if I have no helmet and I am comming down the turnpike why would i stop in Michigan at all? so he changed the law to get more business and it worked. Snyder is one heck of a Governor. I will vote for him until something better comes or he is no longer available and most folks I know agree with me.