What Kind Of Toyota Camper Do I Have?

MischaT

Hi Mischa,

I got a message from you on an old account for guyha. I couldn't get back into that account so I opened another as Hafbakt. When I got your message my first thought was you were going to have a Chinook and a case of mistaken identity. But you do indeed have a Ponteix. The only other one I've come across in the 5+ years I've had mine. Mine has a silver label with black lettering attached to the outside of the camper body just above the driver door. You have to bend down and look up to see it. The label indicates manufacturer, date, vin number, vehicle weight, I think that's about it. The only other official mark I've seen is on the frame behind the passenger side front wheel. The vin is etched there (well maybe not. I thought it was but I couldn't see it just now. Might be the light). I never was able to find out much about them except Ponteix was a small company in So. cal and these campers only appear to have been made for a couple years.

Cheers, Guy

It's a neat looking camper, whatever it is. Looks very Canadian going by the fiberglass work. I've had a few Canadian camper trailers that looked of similar design.

• 2 weeks later...

I recognize that mini-RV -- and I mean yours, specifically, MischaT. It caught my attention when the previous owner had it up on Craigslist, and I started looking around trying to figure out what it was, too. It definitely wasn't the Chinook it was said to be, but it looked great whatever it was!

Then a couple others just like it went up for sale around the same time. I forwarded their links to Rufus who has the Wordpress Toyota Chinook blog. The ads are down now, but Rufus might post the pictures sometime. Anyway, a couple people identified them as "SR 2"s, which a couple I found photos of did indeed have painted on their sides. When I Google "Ponteix" I can't find anything that looks like this, but here is an RV just like yours that someone posted a pic of here in the forums, apparently back in 2005, which is also described as an "SR 2".

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?app=galleryâ„‘=616

I'd be really curious to see what the interior coach looks like -- the floor plan, appliances, etc. -- in case you ever want to share some pics.

Happy travels!

Yes! I have come further along on my journey to figure out what this camper is. It is definitely a 1977 Pontiex Pont-X SR-2. Not much out there about them. I have seen the picture of yours on here, the link below and found Jack Wiley, a professor that wrote a book about his travels in his SR-2 (I hope to be reading the book soon!) https://www.buybooksontheweb.com/product.aspx?ISBN=0-7414-9835-9

Can you send over any pictures of the inside? I'd love to see more. Here are some more pictures of mine, I haven't taken a lot of the inside yet, I will try to do that soon and post more on the thread.

post-7757-0-74339700-1401560188_thumb.jp

post-7757-0-49692100-1401560189_thumb.jp

post-7757-0-14296100-1401560190_thumb.jp

post-7757-0-82770900-1401560190_thumb.jp

post-7757-0-62998800-1401560191_thumb.jp

Wow - that back window is gigantic! This is a really good-looking motorhome. Looks like it might be a little shorter and possibly more aerodynamic than a hard top Chinook Omega / Newport.

OK... I just noticed the author of the book you linked to said it measures 16 1/2 feet bumper to bumper -- that's about a foot shorter than a pop top Chinook. Wiley also talks of his getting up to 18mpg. How about yours?

I see it's got lots of storage space! Aside from that I'm guessing stove, sink, fridge... dinetter / bed... maybe a power converter... but probably no bathroom. Am I close?

I'm guessing that's your Chinook parked behind it, too. I'm definitely jealous!

Edited by ChinookSeeker

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all, Not my chinook parked behind it, a guy I started chatting with in town that is doing a 4x4 grafting upgrade.

There's no bathroom in mine, but I have now come across evidence of 5-6 other Pont-X SR2s since I started doing research and most of them have a recirculating toilet. I think mine had one and the previous owner turned it into a closet. I have a bunch more pictures of the inside as well as ramblings about my adventures here on my blog:

http://pontxadventures.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/tour-and-specs/

Guy - how can I see more pictures of your rig??

-Mischa

I have the same question.

Bought this little guy in SoCal for $800 last year. Put at least the same amount into it since. All I know is it's a '78 Toyota Something. It was painted this flat black when I bought it, and I haven't seen any others that look like it.

I JUST got the internal lights working. Stove works, scared to test the oven. None of the accessory water stuff works.

What do you guys think?

I'm trying to get it ready to travel full-time. It needs help. I need help.

Help us.

If interested, I can get better pictures, but these are the ones I already have on the computer.

...also, what is the liklihood of this housing part just falling off of the truck part? I mean, yeah its a toyota but....its all...janky. and old. I admit, I'm not yet a believer, but I wanna be.

post-7802-0-44965400-1403465749_thumb.jp

post-7802-0-87547300-1403465750_thumb.jp

post-7802-0-27328600-1403465759_thumb.jp

post-7802-0-83366800-1403465760_thumb.jp