Where To Get Replacement Cabover Bed?

Zenia

Hi~

I'm a brand new owner of a 1991 Toyota Itasca Spirit. The cabover bed has some mold & needs to be replaced. There are no obvious leaks so I am assuming that it got wet through the window. Where do I find a replacement bed that has the cut out piece still? Thanks so much!

The rookie~Zenia

Does your cushion have a zipper so the outside cover can be removed. Is the fabric otherwise in good condition or badly worn. Is your center cut out section drooping or straight There is no place I know of that provides stock replacements. You either need to be a do it yourselfer or find a local upholstery shop to make you one. I managed to save my lost cause upholstery by removing the covers and washing them in a big Laundromat washer with detergent and oxyclean. Saved the foam too with oxyclean spray and sunlight. UV rays kill mold very nicely.

Linda S

I'm using a Futon mattress. My Warrior was missing the cutout but it came with two pieces of plywood that covered over the cab cut out.

If I wanted more ceiling space, I can fold over the futon mattress and then move one of the plywood pieces forward.

After a few trips, I quit opening up the overhead. That area has become too useful for storage of bedding, towels, and laptops.

We use a full size mattress 52x74 with innersprings. I made a wedge shaped pillow out of foam to fill in the space from the mattress to the window.

We don't remove the cut out either. Our mattress was horribly uncomfortable so we put in a piece of plywood and had a custom mattress made. It was a little expensive @ $377 but is soooo much better.

Here's a link to the site we used http://www.mattressinsider.com/memory-foam-rv-mattresses.html

They were friendly and helpful and we are now sleeping much better. Also we had it in about a week.

I covered the opening also with 3/4 plywood and had a mattress locally made (well locally made in Maine is any thing less that a 100 miles). Most major cities seem to have mattress makers it was kind of weird because the ends had to fit the body work they had no problem with that it was around $225 .I used the material on the old cover on the plywood so it looked factory.

I always have a little chuckle when I see ads claiming a 'Queen size' bed over the cab. That would be 60 in × 80 in. Most manufacturers list a width (if you're lucky) of 52" (barely a double/full).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size

Very small Queens in the land of Toy homes.