I am looking for reliable sites to purchase a rebuilt engine. Has anyone purchased and replaced lately? Any advice would be welcome. Doing the work myself.

There are plenty of sites that sell completely rebuilt 22re motors. Whether you are looking for the block and lower parts only, or you are looking for an entire motor including the head and all, you can find them online if your wallet is deep enough.

I recently rebuilt my entire engine after having a head gasket problem, you can check out my build on my blog at...

http://daysofexploration.blogspot.com/2014/03/if-you-plan-on-driving-1987-motorhome.html

Hi! got my toyota v-6 from rydellpowertrain.com and i was very pleased with there service! most engine rebuilders will not warranty engines if you tell them its for a toyota motorhome! rydell had a very good warranty program and were excellent to work with! hope this helps! Rick

Thank you. Is telling them a 22RE enough?

The motor is already pulled.

What is wrong with the old engine? The 22r engine is a simple engine and easy to rebuild. Check around and find a local machine shop to rebuild your engine.

Yes, telling them 22RE is enough. Though the year couldn't hurt. My memory of whether there are differences in the early years compared to later years are fading...

It is nice to have someone local rebuild your actual engine, if there are skilled people in town. But I know a lot of people go with a whole rebuilt engine from national companies, and usually have good luck.

I agree with a local if some thing goes wrong will a tech come from China to deal with it? Or do you box it up and send it UPS back to the rebuilder?

Most online places are in the US, but the point stands. A rebuild shop in Oregon isn't going to be able to look at and fix your engine in Maine (or wherever you live).

Having said that...LCEngineering sure builds a great 22RE engine...but you'll pay for it. :)

$6000.00 From LCE....wow!

Told you!

If you've got money to throw around and really care, or are going for performance or "showroom", they're a good place. But I think the majority of us don't need that kind of engine.

On my 83 (no longer with me), I pulled the engine, took it apart, and brought it to a local machine to shop to clean and rebuild, then put it back in myself.

I think the cost for just the cleaning, honing and rebuild with kit was around $1,200. They didn't do an absolute excellent job, but they did a good job, and I put 50,000 miles on that engine before selling the truck, with no problems other than the fact that the timing cover started "weeping" from day one. Never any drips, but it's kinda lame when all around the timing cover there's oil collecting dirt...brand new rebuilt engine all dirty. But that's just my one little experience in my one little town.

Most local places can do a Toyota R series engine no problem. But it makes you feel more secure if it's a place that knows Toyotas.

You'll find horror stories everywhere you go, with both national companies and home-town shops. If you know your engine, just ask questions and if you get weird or wrong answers, go somewhere else.

Have a look on line before you send your engine off to some place or buy an exchange one from away there are tons of night mare stories about poorly done machine work and inferior parts. Even if you have to put your engine in a pickup and go a hundred miles to a semi local shop it may be in your best interest. They are simple engines but the builder needs to know about tolerances a lot of places will just machine a cylinder head till it's flat and ship it never mind that it way beyond minimum thickness or pay no mind to valve spring height when they cut the valves. It's a lot easier to find out about a local shop than one that's on the another side of the country.

How about up grading to 3.4. My neighbor boys have done a few of them. It's a bit of work and expense but lots of power.

Just purchased a high performance engine from PMC in Oregon.

An extra 20 hp does not make our 6000 pound rigs into a rocket, it makes it a little less slow turtle.

An extra 20 hp does not make our 6000 pound rigs into a rocket, it makes it a little less slow turtle.

I have a little Sunrader and 20 more horsepower would certainly make it feel like a rocket. I can only dream.

Linda S

Which is all very cool, but I start wondering if this stuff has a significant impact on the longevity of the engine. I mean the R series engines lasted forever. Part of the reason was that they don't exactly put out a ton of power. I wonder if modifying them in these ways cuts their life down quite a bit.

Might not matter to a lot of people, but it might to some.

We've been over this before in a lot of threads, but really...when you're dealing with a R motor, you just aren't going to get a lot of power. You can throw all the money you want at them, and they still won't be a V8.

I still think a well tuned stock engine is your best bet. If you really want to spend money, an upgraded carb (if you aren't fuel injected) and a header is really the only money you need to spend.

Next time I get an engine rebuilt, I'm just having them hone the cylinders, if I can get away with it. I honestly don't have many issues with the power in my camper. Considering the gas mileage I get.

But yeah...I'd definitely notice 20hp!