Pure Sine Inverter Installation Questions

FishermansPorch

I understand why I want a pure sine inverter, what I don't understand is at all where this might go or how to install it. There's a few plugs in the RV (1988 Toyota Dolphin). Initially it seemed like the way this might work was that there was a stock inverter in there somewhere, and I'd pull that out and put in a better one by connecting it in the same manner the original was hooked up, and that afterwards all of those plugs would be safe for plugging whatever I like into.

Based on searching around, I'm not sure my initial understanding was correct. If it's not, maybe someone could point me in the right direction for how I'd do this in my motorhome?

Also, it seems like when I'm plugged into shore power, I don't need to worry about this because the inverter is being bypassed. Is that correct?

Unless someone installed an inverter , you don't have one (You may be confusing"Converter" with inverter .)

Your 110 volt plugs only work when your plugged into shore power (or if you have a generator).

I installed additional plugs (different color) and plugged these into my inverter.

Here is a link to my install.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3682

Your "Converter" converts 110 volts to 12 volts, When your plugged into shore power, the converter powers all the 12 volt stuff and re-charges the house battery.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (SOLD)

Toyota MHs have 2 separate electrical power systems.

The 115v ac powers the electrical outlets, also the roof A/C, TV and the Microwave, if you have one or all. This power comes from the shore power or generator or MAYBE an inverter if the PO installed one, inverters were not a factory installed item.

The 12v dc systems powers the lights, water pump, vent fan(s). It gets power from the 12v coach battery. If you are plugged into shore power then the CONVERTER will power the 12v systems and recharge the coach battery.

When your driving the truck alternator recharges the 12v coach battery also. At least its supposed to, but on a 20 year old mh who knows what still works

I would suggest separate outlets unless you install a system to disconnect your inverter when you plug into shore power. I may not be right about this but I am sure that one of the more educated people will answer you soon.

I think my plan is to hook it up and, use the plugs from the inverter, and run a power strip if needed.

The most I should need to charge is two 11" MacBook Airs, iPhones or iPads, and probably not at the same time. Thinking the 300w GoPower might be a good choice?

A 300 w inverter would run off the cigarette lighter outlet just fine. If you want to wire in a HD socket near the house battery would make things easier.

Most of what your trying to power use USB charging cords. There are 12v USB chargers available. These would eliminate the power loss associated with an inverter'

I have a dual outlet USB cigarette adapter that has a 1 amp output, that should be enough to do what you want it was less than $14 at Wal-Mart.

A couple of adapters, and a couple of 12v outlets and your in business.