I have the R20 motor with a 4 speed manual transission. I would like to get lower rpms at highway speed. Is there any way to convert this to a 5 speed, or does the tranny need to be swapped to a ??

Swap rear end. - This is fairly easy to do. Look at this link, there is a listing of rear ends and codes near the bottom of the first post.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6650

I have OD on mine. Lower RPM means lower power (not necessarly higher gas miliage).

I find that OD is usually OK at speeds below 60, with no head winds, and straight and level surface.

Any cross wind or head wind and OD just doesn't work out as the engine can't generate enough power to keep up speed.

Recommendation, Your probably OK the way you are.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (SOLD)

The 20R motor is in the "R" series of Toyota motors. Any transmission bolted to a R series engine, will bolt right up to another R series engine. Might have to modify a couple things like driveshafts, the hole in your floorboards where the stick shift comes out, etc.

So if you could find the earliest 5 speed made for our little trucks, possibly attached to 20R but also attached to a 22R, you can swap it.

The biggest issue will be the length of the transmission. It'll bolt to your engine no problem, but 5 speed transmissions are a bit longer, overall, than 4 speeds. So because of that length, you need to compensate by cutting the driveshaft shorter, and cutting the hole in your cab where the stick shift comes through a little farther back.

If you know someone with some basic fabrication skills, it's definitely not a big job. But if you're just thinking of bringing it to your local, typical auto shop...it's not a straight swap. There are modifications/fabrications involved, and not just any shop will do that.