Revamped Dolphin For Full Time Habitation (Update Crashed!) :(

My girlfriend and I decided to buy an old, beat up, 1985 Toyota Dolphin and redo the inside so we could live in it full time and try to drive to Chile from the USA.

We added 2x100w solar panels with controller, a roof box for additional storage, custom welded bike rack, repainted the entire interior, rebuilt the entry step, laminate (hard wood look alike) flooring, bulldozed a bathroom wall for storage, new counter tops, leaf spring helpers for ground clearance, transmission cooler, and I rebuilt the top half of the engine due to oil smoke.

I'm sure there's a ton of stuff I'm forgetting... oh ya, the door fell off at one point and I had to reframe it. :(

I have the description and photos on my blog here.

http://www.followthewind.net/the-dolphin/

Update 3/6/14 - We got in a car crash outside Tepic, Mexico. Poor girl got T-boned badly. But...we're going to rebuild her again with the help of a carpenter. Should have pictures of the damage on the blog soon. :( We're very sad about our beloved Dolphin but aren't willing to give up on her yet!!

http://www.followthewind.net/blog/2014/3/7/oyota-dolphin-accident-mexico

Edited by wind.driven

Nice work! I'm getting ready to full-time in my little Chinook for around a year. In fact tomorrow is my last day of work.

Headed straight down to the desert until it gets too hot for me.

I'll be sure to check out your blog.

Your Dolphin looks really nice.

Very nice. I am about to do the same with my girlfriend. I am just finishing my total engine rebuild. I have refurbished just about everything else on the camper.

Thanks for the positive responses! As you all know these things are surprisingly massive, and constant, projects. The Toyota part has been virtually flawless for me (after I added a trans. cooler). But the Dolphin part always needs work. :)

First off what a nice job you have done on your Dolphin. Secondly, I really like your blog. I hope you don't take this wrong when I say, it is surprisingly well written for a self proclaimed mechanic. I envy you for setting out for such a fantastic adventure and look forward to living vicariously through your journey.

Jonny

Nice work! Where are you leaving from and when?

Thanks a lot and we left from San Francisco but we're in Mazatlan right now waiting for Carnaval before turning south again.

First off what a nice job you have done on your Dolphin. Secondly, I really like your blog. I hope you don't take this wrong when I say, it is surprisingly well written for a self proclaimed mechanic. I envy you for setting out for such a fantastic adventure and look forward to living vicariously through your journey.

Jonny

Wow...That's a really huge complement. Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your accident, hope it was only the mohome that was hurt, and that the Mexican Police were kind to you, my brother-in-law got T-boned in La Paz last Nov. and he spent 24hours in a Mex jail, not a happy experience for him!

I've checked out your photos and blog, very good! Mike

Hi wind driven guys

Just read your latest post on your blog, re the accident! very pleased to hear no one was hurt, good luck with the rebuild, your certainly in the right place, you cant beat Mexican ingenuity for fixing things!

Mike