Trickle Down Charger

taketombow

I want to keep both engine battery and coach battery recharged while I'm away from home. So I looked into trickle down chargers with a solar panel. If I use this to charge the engine battery, does it also charge the coach battery? Or do I have to buy a separate one for the coach battery?

Are you cheap, crafty and possible forgetful? The simple way is to install a cheap fuse holder, with about a 5 amp fuse in it, across the battery cables at the isolator.

Then the onboard charger can charge both batteries all winter long. You just pull the fuse before your first trip and your isolator works as planned. If you forget when you start the engine the 5 amp fuse will pop and the isolator works just fine, and your out a 50 cent fuse.

No, you will have to connect a jumper wire between both batteries. If you connect a wire from the two large terminals on the isolator it will charge both batteries simultaneously. You can use a fuse on this wire but I dont.

No, you will have to connect a jumper wire between both batteries. If you connect a wire from the two large terminals on the isolator it will charge both batteries simultaneously. You can use a fuse on this wire but I dont.

Yep, simple alligator clips short piece of wire your done till spring. If you have a solid state one join terminals 1 and 2. Of course make sure every thing is off or you'll end up with two dead batteries.

Trickle down charger? Does that mean if the one present’s batteries are charged mine will be too with the left over charge eventually?

Hard to guess where one would be. Different makers placed them differently. Open the hood and look around for something that looks like these:-

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rv+battery+isolator&client=firefox-a&hs=qxI&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=p2_YUuLOEuyFyQG3sIHgAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1252&bih=569

GOOD POST DEREK, you have covered just about every mfg. in this group......well done, Donnie