Furnace Blower Fan 78 Chinook Newport

Hey guys the orginal furnace stopped working on me. Pilot stays lit, thermostat clicks, battery is new. The blower fan has been making noise for some time now and I believe it is either stuck or shot. (worked again once for a short time then nothing again How involved is it to slide it out? Just a gas line, electric harness and the thermocoupler assembly. Will I need to take the stove top off to access anything or can I just do what I have to do through the front and under the bench seat. Any help is appreciated before I tackle this project later today

Depends on the make of furnace. My 1979 has an Atwood Hydro flame furnace.

The motor assembly on mine can be removed from the top of the unit. The motor serial number is engraved on the side of the motor housing.

I was unable to located my exact motor but ppl rv supplies has many motors for the old units.

There may be a small button behind the front grill with the #5 on it. This is a circuit breaker for the fan motor. Push it in and see if the motor runs.

Chances are the bearings have seized and your looking at a new motor.

Good Luck.

It's almost definitely a Suburban furnace, and probably should be replaced. The problem is that the replacement is $500!!

I replaced mine. It is a propane line, accessible from under the bench right next to it (pretty sure...since I gutted mine it's hard to remember what was out in the open before I gutted it and what was hidden), then there are three (I think) wires. +, -, and thermostat. You'll see when you look at it.

There will be just a couple screws attaching it to the board it sits on, and other than the propane line and wires, that's pretty much it. The intake and exhaust tubes going out the back just slide out.

Let me know if you decide to replace it, and I'll try to find exactly what parts and model #s I used on mine.

Thanks for the help. One of my thermostat wires vibrated out of a half assed butt splice crimp! The fan still gets rowdy and needs some maintenance but that can wait until the spring. Montana do you have a three way fridge? Mine has a pos ice box that I plan on upgrading, probably to a marine 2 way fridge.

Joey-when I bought my Escaper, it had a dorm style (120 volt) refrigerator in it. I looked for a used 3 way unit but could not find one close. I ended up with a marine 2 way (12/120) unit and like it a lot. We don't stay anywhere for long periods, so having to run the refrig on battery is ok now that I have sorted out my electrical problems. I really like the fact that it can run without being perfectly level.

Very cool, sounds like a big project to put in a 3 way so I plan on the 12v 120v combo. About to get a 45 watt solar system to help keep my battery charged.

Another question. When my battery is extremely low, the furnace stops putting out heat even though the blower fan still has enough current to blow cold. Why is this?

I only used my heater once...but I don't think they're meant to be used without the fan. So it wouldn't surprise me if that was some kind of safety feature...but I don't know.

So your chinook didn't come with a three way fridge? If it did, it's no big deal to put a new one in. But yeah, if the gas lines aren't already there, then it's a bit more work.

Check this out if you're going to do solar. http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com. I have no real experience, but it seems to me that if you're going to be running an electric fridge, and parked for days, 45 watts isn't nearly enough. You'll probably need more like 100-150 watts.

But it comes down to seeing what your draw is, and getting a system that meets those needs. Sounds like the wiring and charge controller are at least as important as enough panels, to actually charge your battery.

I'm going towards a solar set up myself...been putting it off because it's just one more thing to research all to hell and spend hours reading about then asking questions...I'm getting burnt out on learning new things!

But I know I'll be mad at myself later if I don't do it, so I probably will. I think I'm getting a portable 100 watt set up. Just to make sure I can run the heater if needed, and charge a laptop, and not move for days.

Very cool, sounds like a big project to put in a 3 way so I plan on the 12v 120v combo. About to get a 45 watt solar system to help keep my battery charged.

Another question. When my battery is extremely low, the furnace stops putting out heat even though the blower fan still has enough current to blow cold. Why is this?

Your furnace has a sail switch that senses the air flow and allows the pilot to light. If the batteries are low the fan won't get up to speed and the sail switch won't open. Hence no flame. Protects you from the flame being lit but not enough fan power to move the air and everything getting too hot and starting a fire

Linda S

Linda this makes a lot of sense now! Thank you! Montana as much as I would love the 3 way fridge, there's no way I will be tackling that project lol. 45 watts may not be enough depends. I found a good 120w panel for 200 and an mppt charge controller good for up to 20a for $205. I'll send you the link when I'm back at the work pc!

Great!

I actually just bought a portable solar kit. 90 watt panel, 3 stage charger, cables, and they all pack into a case, which also becomes a stand for the panel. Just set it up, angle towards the sun, and connect the cables to the battery.

Since I can go on propane, I don't feel like I need a lot of wattage for the fridge. Hopefully 90 will be enough for charging laptop and other batteries, using lights (LEDs, so I could probably run them for a month off my battery), occasionally the water pump, and the heater on the rare night I need it.