• 2 months later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I called Toyota about my 92 Warrior. They asked for the VIN number then called me back 2 hours later and said it wasn't on the recall list. I just got it last weekend and it has just under 80,000 miles on it and runs great. I called the woman I got it from and she said they never had any work done on the heads. But she found some paper work from the original owner and he had the timing belt, hoses, water pump, shocks, brakes replaced and the wheel bearing repacked. So it sounds like he stayed on top of things. I just hope Toyota is not giving me the run around on this.

I'd wander in to your local Toyota dealer and ask him to run the VIN. I did this with two Toyotas with the 3VZ-E. They checked both of them for me. One had been done, the other not. As I understand it, 1989 and early 1990s were under a different recall* (or some other type of program) that was ended years ago, unlike the later ones which is still being honored.

*Special Policy Adjustment (SPA) which applied to VINs up to 0014059

• 2 years later...

New information on this  Special Service agreement. Toyota is finally calling it quits. Head gasket will continue to be done only through Dec 31, 2017 so you have another year to get it done for free. This is from Gail, moderator on the Yahoo Toyota camper group. She just bought a new camper and took it in and found out the end date.

Linda S

Like most 'stuff' on the 'net, I'd sure prefer to see something to back this up from an Official Toyota source. Not that I don't believe that Gail is reporting what she was told, but rather over the years, how many times have people been told by various Toyota dealers that there was no such Special Service Campaign or that it had already ended. :)

HI TO ALL, THIS HEAD GASKET RECALL INTERESTS ME, AS I HAVE A 1992 WITH 53K MILES, I SUBMITTED MY VIN TO TOYOTA VIA INTERNET SITE, RESPONSE FROM TOYOTA WAS NO RECALL FOR MY VIN, MY QUESTION, DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A TOYOTA DATA BASE THAT WOULD PROVIDE A DEFINITIVE YES OR NO IN REGARDS TO THE HEAD GASKET REPLACEMENT BEING PERFORMED ON A SUBMITTED VIN ? OR IS THERE A PHONE NUMBER FOR TOYOTA THAT ONE COULD ASK THE QUESTION AND GET A DEFINITIVE ANSWER ?  ALSO, HAS ANYONE HAD THE HEAD GASKET REPLACED RECENTLY AT NO COST ?, AND IF SO COULD YOU PROVIDE THE NAME AND LOCATION OF THE DEALERSHIP THAT PERFORMED THE WORK ? APPEARS TO BE SPECULATION AS TO IF THIS RECALL/REPLACEMENT IS CURRENT OR DISCONTINUED. ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE ? THANKS . JOE FROM DOVER

HI TO ALL, I DECIDED TO CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.  WAS PROMPTED TO A RECALL INFORMATION REPRESENTATIVE. THE SHORT VERSION, I PROVIDED MY VIN. THE LADY FOUND THAT MY RIG HAD THE HEAD GASKET REPLACED IN 1998 AT A DEALERSHIP IN NEW YORK STATE. SHE PROVIDED ME WITH THE NAME OF THE DEALERSHIP AND WHAT CITY IT WAS LOCATED.  THE LADY STATED THAT TOYOTA'S VIN DATABASE CAN VERIFY IF THE REPLACEMENT WAS PERFORMED OR NOT, BUT HAD NO INFO REGARDING IF THE PROGRAM IS STILL IN FORCE.  I NOW AT LEAST KNOW THAT MY RIG HAD THE WORK DONE. I WILL HAVE TO CHECK MY CAR FAX AND TRY TO DETERMINE WHAT THE MILEAGE WAS AT THE TIME OF THE REPLACEMENT. NOT SURE IF THIS HELPS OTHERS, BUT THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE. JOE FROM DOVER

Gail and Jon bought a new camper to replace the one they've been driving for years. It hadn't had the head gasket service done so she made an appointment and when she took it in the manager told her about the end date. Since Toyota has to arrange for the dealers to do this work I would bet that they told him it wasn't going to continue forever.

Linda S

hi to all, just to update, i looked up the dealership name i was given located in upstate new york on line. and clicked on their contact section, i emailed them requesting verification and asking if they  could possibly provide documentation as to the date and mileage at the time of the had gasket replacement.  they emailed me back notification that they received my request and would contact me . that is where i am at now. joe from dover

• 2 months later...

The head gasket recall is still in effect 2017...

Google - V6headgasketrecall-Document (letter #3).

Last month a friend of mine -found out her 1992 Toyota Warrior v6 is on the recall list and will be done.

I personally was at Vernon BC Toyota -The shop supervisor said to myself it was in effect still September 2016  but my 1992 Warrior V6 was already done by a former owner thru Toyota many years ago.

The vehicle will be checked by the VIN# - (Vehicle Identification Number) if it qualifies for the recall.

So the ---The Toyota V6 head gasket recall is still in effect 2017.

On 2016-11-09 at 2:59 AM, linda s said:

New information on this  Special Service Agreement. Toyota is finally calling it quits. Head gasket will continue to be done only through Dec 31, 2017 so you have another year to get it done for free. This is from Gail, moderator on the Yahoo Toyota camper group. She just bought a new camper and took it in and found out the end date.

Linda S

1 hour ago, swanny10 said:

Where is that New copy in writing Linda S ?

No new copy anywhere. Just what the Toyota Service manager told my friend. She and her husband Jon are  probably the best Toyota motorhome refurbishers in the country so I'm sure she knows that manager very well.

Linda S

I would like to see a copy of this latest letter from Mr Toyota service Manager-it should be in Print-----Yes/No ??

Way too much of this - he said - she said ?

Did you not see/read the Document #3 from- V6headgasketrecall (Google).

Pretty straight forward and it is in print and verified.

Met an older couple - Toyota Mo home owners October 2016 -- that paid $2500 for the repair in 2015 -They knew/heard nothing about the recall. 

A lot of second hand owners seem to be confused on this issue?

Sad issue for those persons that Paid $ to do the Head gaskets/engine rebuild at their own expense.....Hope they have receipts to take into their nearest Toyota dealership and be repaid for the cost   $$$.

Anyways - the Head gasket recall for the VIN# specific 3.0 V6  engine---- Is still in effect Today as of Jan 10 2017.

Your more than welcome to head down to your local Toyota dealer and get all the information you want. By the way it wasn't a recall. It was a Special Service campaign. Maybe your the one who should re-read it. Done by completely Toyota and able to be ended by Toyota at any time. Quite a few of our members have had this work done because of our informing them and at some times having them have to pressure Toyota dealers into performing it.

Linda S

8 hours ago, swanny10 said:

I would like to see a copy of this latest letter from Mr Toyota service Manager-it should be in Print-----Yes/No ??

Though I can't disagree with you (I always prefer to see such things with a Toyota letterhead), I do disagree with how you're asking the question. Did you ask the couple you met to inspect their bill for $2500 or did you take them at their word? Was the $2500 just for head gasket replacement or did they have other work done? Timing belt? Water pump? Did you check their VIN to be sure theirs was included? Not all V6s were, I'm sure you know.

I was just skimming over the SSC V06 documents (again) and would ask anyone if they've ever noticed one of the labels that supposedly were affixed to show if the SSC V06 was performed?

V06 Label.jpg

Toyota V6 Head Gasket SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN V06.pdf

All I wanted to say IS--------

If ones Toyota v6 ENGINE -VIN# specific--falls into the Special Service Campaign ---Today -2017

Head gasket issues-------Will be done/repaired by TOYOTA...

Tired of arguing-or having comments -shot back at me.

Enuff.

• 2 months later...

Since I'm still seeing some 'confusion' about which V6s are and aren't covered for HG replacement, here are the VINs (extracted from the Toyota documents) for the SPA (Expired) and the SSC (not expired at this time).

I don't think we need to consider the C&C 'Regular Wheelbase', only the 'Long Wheelbase' V94T C&Cs.

Edit: I wonder what was built on the Regular (short) Wheelbase C&Cs. The rare V6 Sunrader 'Shorties'? The even rarer V6 Bandits?

HG Special Policy Adjustment (SPA).jpg

HG SSC (V06).jpg

SSC1.jpg

SSC 2.jpg

SSC 3.jpg

My 1994 Warrior did have the head gasket special service recall campaign done. Don't recall when. Do not have the SSC campaign label affixed.

Darrel

I just came across this:-

Special Service Campaign
A Special Service Campaign is the Toyota, Lexus, or Scion owner notification program to inform customers about specific product or technical issues for which inspection and/or repair is being offered without an expiration date. These issues are typically customer satisfaction initiatives. The described service will be performed at no charge to the vehicle owner.

http://www.toyota.com/recall

What caught my eye was "... without an expiration date."  So even if the report that the SSC is supposed to expire at the end of 2017 is accurate, I'd fight it with Toyota, using their own words. :)

14 hours ago, Derek up North said:

AKA 'Unicorn' motorhomes! :)

No unicorn. I was going to buy a Starlite but the sweet old guy who had it passed away and his family never returned my calls. Seen quite a few Odyssey 4x4's too.

Linda S

In the never-ending search for 'truth', I just sent an email to Toyota Customer Service asking for clarification about the report that SSC(V06) is ending at the end of this year. I'll report back if I ever get a reply. :)

Though Gail is a well respected member of the Toyota Motorhome community and has reported that she got her information from her local Dealer Service Manager, I've also seen others quoting Service Managers saying that V6 valves never need adjusting. :)

"... is being offered without an expiration date."

• 6 months later...
This is what comes up when I punch in my VIN...
Title
3VZ-FE V6 Engine Head Gasket
Status
Remedy Available
Description
This is a Special Service Campaign. The engine cylinder head gaskets of Toyota Compact Pick-up Truck, 4Runner, and T100 vehicles may leak leading to symptoms of loss of engine coolant, unusually rough idling, continuous discharge of white exhaust smoke, or diminished engine performance. The subject vehicles are equipped with the V6 engine and were produced from January 1990 through September 1994.
Remedy
Contact any authorized Toyota dealer to schedule an appointment to have the cylinder head gaskets with improved gaskets as soon as possible.

Does this mean I will be able to have this done?

I've never come across any official/technical explanation. Speculation I've seen includes a switch of gasket supplier, change of gasket material, a bad batch from a supplier. Your guess is as good as anybody! But since there are still 3VZEs around without the SSC done, it's not a 100% failure rate. Unless, of course, it's failed and been repaired at the customer's expense due to ignorance of the SSC! :)

It would be interesting to ask the Dealer the next time a HG 'fix' is done to compare the old with the new 'improved' gasket. Littleshack, maybe you could do so. Ask for the used parts back when you have it done. They shouldn't object. They're just going to throw them away anyway!

My GUESS (ONLY) is that the old ones are made with 'expanded graphite'. It was starting to be used around that time instead of asbestos. :)

EDIT:- In 1985 they were still writing research papers on the HG application.  http://papers.sae.org/850193/