Introduction

john*thomas

Another new member. I know these forums can be invaluable. We had been looking for an inexpensive unit as we don't travel far to go camping and would only use the unit 4-5 a years.

We found a 1985 MRV that seems to fit our purpose. The only picture I have right now is the one that came with the ad. It needs typical things which can be expected on a nearly 30 year old RV. I looked and looked and looked and I have found no evidence of any leaking but the sealed areas could use a re-sealing as they don't look the best.

Registering here the first thing I read is about the axles. I see where this particular unit was a part of the recall.

http://recallrecord.com/auto/coachmen/mrv/

I don't suppose that means it absolutely has been done. I will double check before I pick it up tomorrow unless someone would tell me that I could still get the work done under recall. (I doubt it this late, eh?)

Another new member. I know these forums can be invaluable. We had been looking for an inexpensive unit as we don't travel far to go camping and would only use the unit 4-5 a years.

We found a 1985 MRV that seems to fit our purpose. The only picture I have right now is the one that came with the ad. It needs typical things which can be expected on a nearly 30 year old RV. I looked and looked and looked and I have found no evidence of any leaking but the sealed areas could use a re-sealing as they don't look the best.

Registering here the first thing I read is about the axles. I see where this particular unit was a part of the recall.

http://recallrecord.com/auto/coachmen/mrv/

I don't suppose that means it absolutely has been done. I will double check before I pick it up tomorrow unless someone would tell me that I could still get the work done under recall. (I doubt it this late, eh?)

Yup ya got to have the full float axle on that baby. Look here and click on link to see pics of correct axle hub. Recall wasn't issued until 1992 or so and many of these motorhome manufacturers were already out of business so there was no one to do the recall or even inform the owners. Only National RV, Dolphin, made a serious effert to repair their toyota motorhomes.

Linda S

http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/axle_facts.htm

Thanks........Coachman is still in business and still a pretty big name in motorhomes. I suppose I could call them in the morning.

Well did you look at the axle? Is it the wrong one? Yes Coachman is a big company but it's not the same company. All assets were sold to Forest River in 2008. If the axle update hasn't been done I'm pretty sure your on your own. I haven't heard of a manufacturer doing a recall in all the time I have been on these sites. 10 years or so.

Linda S

Well did you look at the axle? Is it the wrong one? Yes Coachman is a big company but it's not the same company. All assets were sold to Forest River in 2008. If the axle update hasn't been done I'm pretty sure your on your own. I haven't heard of a manufacturer doing a recall in all the time I have been on these sites. 10 years or so.

Linda S

Thank you for that info.........I emailed the owners and they replied back 5 lug. I suppose it could be the rare 5 lug conversion but I'm going to say no. I'd say the odds of Coachman doing anything now is about as good as the axle being the correct 5 lug.

Looks like I most likely start searching again. Correct 6 lug or a newer unit.....................

Did some checking and apparently Coachmen did upgrade some of their units with the full floater. Even so considering the time that had passed from manufacture date until the very late recall was issued many of them were probably missed. Especially when motorhomes tend to change hands so often. No one was more dilligent than National RV and even they missed a few

Linda S

There is no correct 5 lug. has to be 6

Did some checking and apparently Coachmen did upgrade some of their units with the full floater. Even so considering the time that had passed from manufacture date until the very late recall was issued many of them were probably missed. Especially when motorhomes tend to change hands so often. No one was more dilligent than National RV and even they missed a few

Linda S

There is no correct 5 lug. has to be 6

Yeah, I was hoping that this one had been covered. I'm going to send them your link with the pics and have them reply back. I will probably call Coachman in the A.M. but I doubt we will get anywhere there this late.

Thanks again.

• 7 years later...

So........It's hard to believe but I posted this 7.5 years ago. I should have bought the one I discussed above and put a new axle in it. Who knew? LOL.

I've looked on and off over the years and chased a guy down one day with a Sunrader but he wasn't selling. I have a Chevy City Express (the small delivery type van, same as the Nissan NV200.) We tent camp and have the van to take all essentials but the wife and I are now retired and she would like something a little more comfortable so I've been looking again. So far, nothing worth looking at or not a scam. I'm thinking I'll be knocking on front doors anytime I see one.......which around here isn't very often.

In the past 7 years Toyota motorhomes have gotten very hard to find and prices have gone through the roof. A member here posted this not long ago but don't know if it's gone yet. Looks very nice and yes 8 grand is a deal for one now

Dolphin for sale - General Discussion - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

Linda S

In Massachusetts but at least it's on the same side of the country

• 1 month later...

Well, I didn't get a Toyota but I have to think this site can still answer a ton of questions for me. I got a 1987 Nissan Odyssey. The good is it runs great. Only has 47,000 miles. Everything seems to work. Interior is pretty nice. Doesn't seem to need much work. I'll update it some. V6. Full floater axle. My guess is I got around 14mpg bringing it home. The best is it was CHEAP. There is a reason.

While you can't tell from my poor pics (I'll get better later) the outside looks like sin. Someone painted the trailer with a brush. Looks really bad. Silicone applied really sloppy. It needs tires. But it was cheap. 

IMG_20210512_191135324.jpg

IMG_20210512_165249483_HDR.jpg

Wow what a find. Makes this the 3rd V6 Nissan Odyssey I have ever seen. I have a mechanic friend who thinks this V6 was one of the best ever made. I have one in a Sunrader. Sat in a field for several years and I picked it up in New York and drove it to California. If your all good mechanically making it pretty is easy. Love it

Linda S

20 minutes ago, linda s said:

Wow what a find. Makes this the 3rd V6 Nissan Odyssey I have ever seen. I have a mechanic friend who thinks this V6 was one of the best ever made. I have one in a Sunrader. Sat in a field for several years and I picked it up in New York and drove it to California. If your all good mechanically making it pretty is easy. Love it

Linda S

Thank you. I almost passed when I first saw it but it drove great and as bad as the outside looked the inside really doesn't need much. I really looked hard for a Sunrader and at some point I still hope to get one of them but this will work for now. 

• 2 months later...

Second trip to just make sure all is good before taking a longer trip. It did rain on us but it seems I have all the leaks sealed for now at least. No leaks and the fridge works so.........

Someone made the remark that they liked our "little" RV and I didn't even realize how small it is until I looked around and most important, the pup likes going.

IMG_20210804_150249206_HDR.jpg

PRK_6689.jpg

PRK_6686.jpg

Edited by john*thomas