Hey everyone,

I am a newbie. Just pickup up a 1978 chinook with 107k. It is in great shape, but wow is it underpowered with the automatic transmission. Can someone point me in the right direction: should I do a 22r hybrid w/ 4 or 5 speed manual or keep the 20r and get a 4 or 5 speed manual? I am sure there are many posts on the topic but my searches did not reveal the best info. Many thanks.

Edited by gcpemberton

It really depends on how much work you're willing to do.

Keeping the original engine and mating a manual tranny up to it is the easiest, but if you want to do a 22R swap, go for it!

Someone swapped a 5 speed into my Chinook. I'm very glad they did. Mine had a 4 speed, not an automatic, though.

He doesn't have a W50. He has a newer, longer transmission as I recall. W50 is short and same length as the original L-series 4 speed.

Well I'm not sure, to be honest. It was done before I bought the camper, and I know nothing about 2wd transmission ID. I don't know if the transmission is longer...I only know that the gear shifter is set farther back than the 4 speed, because they had to cut the floorboards and peel them back a bit to extend the hole back a few inches so the stick shift could come through.

I haven't looked closely enough (not a lot of space under these things!) to see if they modified the rear driveshaft or transmission cross member at all, which I would guess they'd need to do for a longer tranny.

I would say it's a good transmission. A Chinook is not big, and I'm used to underpowered 4 cylinder Toyotas. I would say that I was pleasantly surprised with the power and gearing. First gear is not as low as I would like, but oh well.

A W50 five speed has the shifter in the same place as the original four speed. I.e. there would not be a new shifter hole in the floor with a W50. I put a W50 in my Chinook. Bolt-in swap with no mods at all.

5th is O/D you may not be using 5th a whole lot where there's any hills. If you want more power it is proportional to the depth of your pockets.

Yep.

I make good use of 5th. On anything except mountain passes, I'm in 5th gear on highways. No problem going faster than I feel safe going. I'm ok with about 65mph. It will easily go faster, even on inclines, but it just doesn't feel safe. My engine only has 50,000 miles though...

But I've got power and use 5th!

My 2.2 liter Chinook also has plenty of power to use 5th OD. The lighter weight along with less wind resistance (with my pop-up roof) makes a big difference when compared to a 21 foot high-roof Toyota RV. Now - with my 2.4 liter EFI "new" 20 foot Mini-cruiser with fixed high roof - 55 MPH seems to be the fastest comfortable speed when in OD (and on flat roads).

My only complaint with the W50 five speed trans is the overly -high gear ratio in 1st gear

i have owend several w50 five speeds bought a used one years ago to put in my corona they might have the same end to end but the casting that bolts on for the shift lever was made in several hight and postion I E front to back also the main shift rod was avil in different lenghts the W50 five speed was used in the TRUCK THE celica and the corona WAGEN and sedan depending on what the trans was org in the shift lever box could be in the wrong place. I had to switch the parts on my w50 because of this ext problem.

so what i a m saying is where they moved the hole in the floor that trans likley came from a corona or celica but they were to me all about the same ratio wise i have owened a77 truck 77 corona and a 77 celica

Five minutes with a tape measure would end any guessing. The older transmissions were "short" and newer ones "longer." A W50 from a truck is a bolt-in swap with the shifter in the same place. If from a car, yes things differ.

The only 5 speeds the same length as the original 4 speed are the W or L series; The W50 is easy to ID because it has a cast-iron center-section and an aluminum bellhousing. The L-series, e.g. an L52 is all aluminum.

If any newer trans was put in, the driveshaft would of been shortened.

Hmm...pretty sure the L series were still cast iron. But it didn't have a bolt on bell housing, it was all one peice, so it should still be easy to identify.

I know the L52s...I took mine in & out of my 83 4 or 5 times and it sure didn't feel aluminum!

Either way, if I get curious enough I'll work my way under the Chinook and take some measurements.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited the local junk yard I found 5 speed trannies from the following vehicles: 1978 Totota pick up, 1982 Toyota pick up, and a 1980 Toyota Corona. Internal condition is unknown. Again, I want the easiest swap option for my 1978 Chinook which has the automatic trans. What would be the best option assuming that all 3 are functional. Also, I can't find any good site about transmission identification. One of the transmissions states 33111-35030 H5521.

Thanks.

I visited the local junk yard I found 5 speed trannies from the following vehicles: 1978 Totota pick up, 1982 Toyota pick up, and a 1980 Toyota Corona. Internal condition is unknown. Again, I want the easiest swap option for my 1978 Chinook which has the automatic trans. What would be the best option assuming that all 3 are functional. Also, I can't find any good site about transmission identification. One of the transmissions states 33111-35030 H5521.

Thanks.

If original, the 1978 will have a W50 trans that has a cast-iron center-section, aluminum rear section, and a removable aluminum bell-housing. The 82 truck would likely have an L52 trans that is all one piece (bell housing is not separate). They are both "short" transmissions and either one will easily fit the 1978. The L52 has a slightly larger input bearing and is bit more geared-down in 1st gear. I'd pick which ever one is in the best condition. The only good way to tell is to pull all apart. I have a W50 all apart on my bench right now if you want to see one .

The 1978 W50 I have here that came from a truck has . . . on the cast-iron center-section is 33111-20090 WB-820. On the aluminum rear tail assembly is 33141-20090 SK-5. On the aluminum removable bell-housing is 18R and 20R but those #s can only be seen if the housing is off the trans.

Thanks for the input. Possible to send pics of your W50? I am interested in the center-section, aluminum rear section, and bell housing. I took pictures of all three from the junk yard but I want to verify that they are actualy W50 without pulling them off. Also, an advantage of the L52 or the W50?

Text a pic if you can. five o nine 2 zero nine 66 o nine.

Thanks.

Once I take our Chinook out a few more times, I'm going to evaluate on whether or not I should also do this upgrade. The plan is to get a weber, aftermarket exhaust manifold, and possibly enlarge the exhaust system (needs to be replaced). I'll see what kind of results I get from doing this and I may also get a 5spd installed.

Have you made any progress?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Revive from the dead...... My local jy has 2 of the1982 pickups with the manual trans. I would like to do the 20/22 hybrid. Since I will be pulling the 22 from a pickup, what should I do to it before placing in the chinook? Last year I did the timing set and adjusters in the 20r so I should be able to reuse them. ( less than 600 miles on it)  Of coarse the oil pan gasket and freeze plugs but what else?

From what I understand, I use the 20r head and intake. What would be a good carb to use on this intake? Do I use the 20 or 22 exhaust manifold? 

Thanks for your help and advise?