Odyssey owners... HELP! Range hood info needed!

Hiya folks.

So I'm refurbishing an '88/'89 Odyssey and I've run into a problem. The former owner removed the range hood. No big deal, I'll just buy one online, right? WRONG!

None of the options available on line seem like they will fit. FIRST, the sizes don't seem right. It appears as though my original range hood was 19" wide. But no one I've talked to has apparently ever heard of a 19" wide range hood. 20" is the smallest anyone seems to know of. SECOND, the cutout size is becoming rare these days. The cutout is roughly 7.5" by 3". Almost all current range hoods are designed for 10" by 3" (or something close to that) cutouts. No big deal though, because I've spoken to a few RV salvage places that have 20" range hoods with the 7.5" by 3" cutout... except THIRD the cutout seems to be in an odd location! Notice in the picture how it starts exactly level with the cabinet. Most range hoods seem to have the cutout about a half-inch or so below where the base attaches. What is going on here?

3sv2.jpg

Would anyone out there with an Odyssey mind investigating your range hood a little? Is yours 19" wide or 20"? Do you see a manufacturer name printed anywhere on it? Ventline says they never made a 19" range hood but perhaps Elixir did. It would be a big help if I knew who the manufacturer was and could hunt them down.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

-Matt

welcome on the general forem there is a list of toyota moterhomes for sale i just checked there is a 1989 Odyssey showes a very good pict of the org range hood. from what i have seen alot of the older hoods were made by jensen.my 87 dolophon has the same hood most of the rv fittings are pretty much standerd for that era 80searly 90s

Karin,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep that in mind. It's good to know I'm not insane and this is a problem other people have had. I thought I would have found more info searching Google but almost nothing comes up. Do you still have your original range hood? Has it been removed? Is it 19" wide or 20"? I'm wondering if there ever was a 19" range hood or if they just cut a hole in the one that originally came with my RV (to accommodate that pipe). Since you are removing your range hood, if its a match I might be interested in taking it off your hands if you wanna let it go. I don't mind if its in rough shape. I really wanted to find a matching range hood instead of modifying something

5Toyota,

Yes, that is a good pic and I'm assuming that's exactly what I should have in my RV. Would you mind measuring your range hood for me? Wondering if anyone out there has one that's 19" wide. Thanks!!

-Matt

You could get a ventless hood if you don't want to modify the exhaust port on a new range hood. That will be the simplest and most cost effective solution. However you will not be able to remove as much moisture from cooking as you can with a vented hood.

I have done some extensive searching to try and find a new hood that matches the size of the old one but have not come up with anything suitable. Ebay or craigslist will be your best bet for one to match.

I have the same problem on my older motorhome on which I am renovating the interior this summer. But my solution is to get a new range hood, take the housing with fan and motor off from under the hood then mount them onto a new piece of sheet metal under my cabinet. I will put in a new switch mounted either to the cabinet or lower on the wall. I don't care about reusing the light as I am putting in 12v LED puck lights and can put one over the stove too.

I decided I want to forgo having a projecting hood as I am tired of cracking my skull on it as I walk by. Those few extra inches are not going to make a significant impact on performance of the exhaust versus having a projecting hood.

I could make a modified sheet metal exhaust fitting to tie into the previous opening. But in that case I would also have to custom fabricate a new cover for the outside with a flap that can be closed while not in use. My old fixed louver vent was letting a lot of water into my rig and that caused the hood and exhaust port components to rust as well as the stove below it and it rotted out the cabinet too. So instead I will enlarge the old opening to the new standard size and position the fan unit to fit it. Then I can use a new swing open vent flap that I can close when it is not in use.

A local sheet metal shop is a good resource if you can't handle the basic tin work for a bit of modification customizing work such as cutting off the top flanges on the new style range hoods so they fit flush under the cabinet like the old ones did. The new vent hoods have about a half inch space between the metal that forms the underside of the unit and the cabinet. I suppose that is for fire prevention but it is not all that critical in my opinion. I was just at the RV store checking into all of this stuff this last week and noticed the way that was constructed with the sides of the hood extending above that area.

Some one has added a pipe no ideal what for but I'll bet your hood was a standard size and they removed it to fit the pipe. I had one out of a tow behind same size as what you are finding (sorry but I gave it away long time ago) Frankly they really made more noise then moved air.

• 2 years later...

Hey Matt,

I have an 89 Odyssey Americana and I have removed the original hood fan.  Ventline 20" with the 3x7.5" back.  I am fitting in a new one and I discovered the same issue.  But I've blocked it off to have the same dimensions using metal ducting tape.  It should work or at least look newer.  I'd be willing to sell mine...

Do you know where the fuse is for the fan/hood (it appears to be on the same circuit as the interior lighting.  All  12v fuses near the AC breaker panel are good and the  inline fuse near the water heater is good.  Fuses in the footwell on the drivers side are good too.  Any ideas?

Cheers,

Adam