The 86 is the odd ball for wheels. They use a cone shaped nut to center the lug and they have left hand threads on the drivers side. I would search www.car-part.com for wheels and call and ask if they have 6 hand holes. 86 is also the only year with 6 hole wheels. newer have 3.

Linda S

Are you saying that rims that were used on vehicles without left-hand threads won't fit those with? I'm not disputing your comment, but do not understand it. All the 1 ton full floaters from Toyota use self-centering cone-shaped ended lug nuts.

OK I got that backward. Haven't had a wheel off in quite a while. Mine does not have the cone shaped nut and it has a washer attached to it. According to the toyota-camper group on yahoo the wheels from 86 to are not inter-changable with the newer ones.

Linda S

funny, my 86 sunrader didnt have left handed lugs even when its original 5 lug wheels were on. I call shinanigans on this; I believe I read in this forum somewhere that it was older ones than 86 that had lefty threads. Of course my former owners may have had new studs pressed in. No mention of lefty threads in my owners manual though.

funny, my 86 sunrader didnt have left handed lugs even when its original 5 lug wheels were on. I call shinanigans on this; I believe I read in this forum somewhere that it was older ones than 86 that had lefty threads. Of course my former owners may have had new studs pressed in. No mention of lefty threads in my owners manual though.

If yours originally had fake dually 5 lug rear wheels no it wouldn't have had left hand thread. do your rear wheels have 3 hand holes or 6. Ones with 6 would have left hand thread. If it's 3 it's an 87 or newer axle and was upgraded.

Linda S

OP looking for 6 bolt rims i thought; not 6 holed btw...

But for a 1986 Sunrader. The 3 or 6 hand holes tell if it's got the 86 wheels. They are all 6 lug, at least the good ones, but there are some differences in the holes the lugs go through and even though I've never had to try a 3 hand hole wheel on mine some on the toyota camper site have and they did not fit properly.

Linda S

I've got two sets of dually Toyota rear axles here from vehicles manufactured 6/86 and 9/86. All have "three hand hole" wheels made by the Topy company in Japan. I don't know if the axles were in vehicles sold in "model year" 86 or 87.

I find it hard to believe that the 6 hand-hole rims do not interchange with the 3 hand-hole rims. I suspect Toyota just chose different wheel suppliers. The later supplier is Topy of Japan.

I can't say I ever had opportunity to try to switch wheels. I can say I've replaced a few rear wheel studs that were left-hand thread, 14 mm (9/16") and changed them to right-hand thread with no issues.

As far as I know they are all Budd type wheels with 14 mm studs using the 6 X 7.25" bolt pattern.

As long as you have the correct nuts for the 6 hole or 3 hole rims they will interchange.

As long as you have the correct nuts for the 6 hole or 3 hole rims they will interchange.

So the trick on an 86 is you can change to the different wheels if you can find cone shaped nuts with left hand thread or you are willing to put in new right hand thread lug bolts on the drivers side

Linda S

I thought there was someone out west here, California that was selling them new as a last resort....someone was checking but I never saw the results. I will check if I get an address or phone number.

Linda= I will take any dually that will fit, I do not care what year. I need the 6 lug 14 inch/ 3 or 6 hand holds. Yes I only need one for a spare. I will absorb the weight I want two spares. One 5lug for the front and one 6lug for the back. Thanks for the help.

Try this place

Capitol Import Auto Dismantling

(916) 366-7470

4071 Happy Ln,Sacramento,CA95827

Wheel Stock number CI0729

This is supposedly for an 88 but they say it has 6 hand holds so really an 86. Might be an old listing but can't hurt to call. If they don't have it I'm pretty sure I can find some 3 hand holes near me in San Jose

You do realize you can drive a pretty long way with only one tire in the back when you get a flat. I've never worried about a spare for the duallies. Always carry a 12 volt air compressor and if I get a flat, inflate remaining good tire to max and drive slowly to nearest place to have fixed. I have had 2 flats in 10 years and never because of the tire. Sunrader had rubber valves on the tires instead of metal and the valves failed each time. Metal is a must for a tire with a max pressure of 65 lbs

Linda S

Try this place

Capitol Import Auto Dismantling

(916) 366-7470

4071 Happy Ln,Sacramento,CA95827

You do realize you can drive a pretty long way with only one tire in the back when you get a flat. I've never worried about a spare for the duallies. Always carry a 12 volt air compressor and if I get a flat, inflate remaining good tire to max and drive slowly to nearest place to have fixed. I have had 2 flats in 10 years and never because of the tire. Sunrader had rubber valves on the tires instead of metal and the valves failed each time. Metal is a must for a tire with a max pressure of 65 lbs

Linda S

If you have a flat/blow-out on a dually setup and have to go quite a ways at high speed -in some conditions that flat can catch fire. I've had it happen a few times on bigger trucks. Certainly not something I'd feel confident about when lacking a spare.

When it comes to tire valves . . . there are rubber standard pressure "snap in" that are only rated for 60 PSI max. There are also high pressure rubber "snap in" valves rated for 100 PSI and can't say I've ever seen one fail. Also there are all metal "clamp in" valves rated at 200 PSI.

I only mention this since your comments might get some people worried when the see rubber valves in their wheels and they might be fine. I agreee 100% that you don't want standard passenger-car type 60 PSI valves but the HP rubber valves are fine. I just bought a bunch of new HP valves to fit the Toyota dually rims. They are kind of an odd-ball size.