Cast Iron hobo Pie maker (Pie Iron)

Totem

The Pie Iron (aka hobo pie maker) should always be a good go to in a campers supply chest.

Make sure to get yourself a nice cast iron one; I witnessed an aluminum alloy one melt in a fire the other night.

what you can make in them:

Some of my favs other than basic bread pizzas

1.) cookie dough; spray with pam and put in chocolate chip macadamia nut etc; the pie iron cookie is sinfully good.

2.) Breakfast sammy; i like bread, ham or bacon (pre cooked), slice o' cheese then i crack an egg into the other side, close and throw in fire; Puts McDonalds to shame; add hollendaise sauce if you are really searching for awesomeness

3.) Better pizza; use some actual pizza dough instead of bread like Tiseo's (only to be found in Michigan and made in Sterling heights) or other brand.

4.) The multifamily pie irons: I have seen 2 and even one time a 3 pie iron; thus only one thing to manage instead of multiple.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Cast-Iron-Double-Pie-Iron&i=412143&r=view&aID=505U1&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=343132313433&s_kwcid=goobase_goobase_filler&cID=GSHOP_412143

the above is a double iron; right now I only have a single. you basically stuff it then clamp it shut and then throw it on your camp fire. check it every 4 mins per side then flip

We always made "fire pies" growing up. Two pieces of bread, buttered with some cinnamon sugar sprinkled on them. Then open a can of pie filling and put in as much as you dare, making a sandwich. When done with wide enough bead, it gets pinched by the iron and sealed, just like a little pie.

You can also put in cooking spray and heat...crack an egg and close it up and put in the fire....cook....then take the egg out, put in an English muffin or something, cheese, some kind of precooked real or fake sausage, put it all together with the egg, and put back in the fire.