Hello! I am new to the forum. :hyper:

Anyone have any experience with the 1980 Dolphin model with the dead axle? I have been on the search for a new mh -- specifically a dolphin. I am aware of the recommendations to upgrade the rear axle from a 5 over to a 6 lug 1ton ff; and so I have been searching appropriately until I found a couple instances of this 1980 model with the dead (aka lazy) axle. I was considering changing tires would be facilitated without the dual tire axle. Not sure the axle situation with this model, I have only seen photos and none up close. Recommendations?

Cheers and thanks!

AKA "Tag Axle". There was a model built with the tag axle.

do a search here and I'm sure several threads will pop up.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

AKA "Tag Axle". There was a model built with the tag axle.

do a search here and I'm sure several threads will pop up.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks! Found some research on tag axles online and found a vague bit about it in the "axle faqs" pdf file on the main site. From what I gather, the duallys are just as effective in payload gains and tag axles are more prevalent on 40'+ RVs (and buses) for specific reasons -- resulting in the rarity of manufacture, for seemingly good reasons.

I am searching for a Dolphin to use for extensive travels because I spent many formidable years growing up in one, so I am partial to them -- not to mention the reliability of the engine. Hence, the older models with 20r instead of 22r engines. Very low mileage and affordable 1980 Dolphin with one of these tag axles nearby, but I might take a closer look at one with comparable mileage and interior for a couple thousand more.

Though, I would consider a 4x4 model mh comparable to the Dolphin in same and scope. Need to find a post in the forums discussing engines & drive trains.

Thanks for the input and response!

A Toyota Dolphin is just one brand of many available Toyota motorhomes out there. Often a better idea to look at condition and mileage first before brand. Best case senario is 86 and newer to insure that the axle is the correct full floating one and better to have fuel injection if your anywhere near mountains. I'm guessing your somewhere in northern Cal cause that's the only place I could find a tag axle Dolphin. Lots of Toyota motorhomes available near here. Keep your options open. Newer 4 cylinders have a little more power too and that's very important when you running so much weight.

Linda S

The MAIN Achilles heal of a TAG axle? hehehehe just wait till you go to pay your turnpike toll... stick with the Dual rears; half the time mine dont even get spotted and i get charged the car rate!

Did some more research, and found a really great deal on a post '86 dolphin with a rear kitchen/bathroom that I prefer. 22RE/Manual, too! Hope they get back to me soon. The details on the ad are lacking completely, but the photos look hopeful..but the price seems way way way too low! We'll see. Soon, I will hopefully be posting in a new thread about the new purchase with photos! With all the necessary fixes/upgrades to be documented!

Did some more research, and found a really great deal on a post '86 dolphin with a rear kitchen/bathroom that I prefer. 22RE/Manual, too! Hope they get back to me soon. The details on the ad are lacking completely, but the photos look hopeful..but the price seems way way way too low! We'll see. Soon, I will hopefully be posting in a new thread about the new purchase with photos! With all the necessary fixes/upgrades to be documented!

Pretty sure I know the one your talking about. It's an 86 not 87 chassis but that is still fine and yes the pics look pretty good.