Portable solar

Maineah

Well I finally got around to doing a portable solar set up I figure all said and done it was about $740 less then a Honda. It will fill my needs for power I don't need A/C or to run a computer 24/7. Last boon docking adventure I did 7 days on two batteries they were a little too discharged for my liking so hence the solar set up. The frame work weights just shay of 2 pounds the panel 16 1/2 # so I'm under 20 # all the aluminum and hard ware about $60. 100 watt panel and controller $209.99 (Amazon). The frame is adjustable from 90* to 180* and folds up flat. I had some left over #10 SJ wire and the run was short so I opted to plant the controller on the panel frame and ship controlled power to the batteries instead of using the higher voltage run. The #10 was way over kill but it was what I had. The 70* angle is about right for Maine in June and when I'm done it just folds up flat panel and all so it's easy to store. Only complaint with the panel the pig tails for the controller were tagged wrong (reverse polarity).

post-669-0-04699400-1371164315_thumb.jpg

post-669-0-46255500-1371164393_thumb.jpg

post-669-0-61942400-1371164427_thumb.jpg

post-669-0-16718200-1371164556_thumb.jpg

That looks great. Now I feel like it needs a security system, I'd hate to see something like that walk away while you were camping.

I thought about that also but I figured it would look a lot stranger then someone carrying off my generator. Where I usually go there really is no cause for concern but I would be a bit wary about a crowed public area. Guess if I feel uneasy I can just fold it up and put it inside.

I put a bicycle cable lock on my honda 2000 all the time it is out. I have use the same cable lock on it when it is stored in the locked generator compartment, I have heard stories of people swiping them even when they were running.