A 205 section tire is usually measured on a 6" rim. They will safely fit on a 5-7" rim.

If you have the skills or the pocket book a wider axle and the rear swaybar are the way to go.

You need to weigh your rig, the General Graber has less weight carry capacity than the 185 tire most Toy homes use

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again !  thanks!   yes...we will weigh it and go from there on the tires, we thought about move up to 15" rims as well.   Love the idea of putting a newer wider rear axle in. That's in our expertise for sure.  We have a 1985 Yota Crawler as well. Marlin gear boxes etc. We love this little RV, need a place to stay for overnighters. Might even add a rear locker.

According to Tire Rack that specific tire is measured on a 7 inch rim and the range is 6 to 7.5. Her 5.5 rim is not even an option. Besides there are no double lugs where the outside rim attaches to the inside. It's welded together. 

Found the pinion info

Pinion on the 78 or in your case 77 is a much coarser notch but your differential will fit into the newer axle. You just swap them out

Toyota Motorhome Axle Facts! - Page 6 - Engines - Transmissions - Drive Train - Suspension - Chassis - Steering - Exhaust - Tires - Etc. - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

Other option is to find an adapter but the only ones I can find online for truck that old are for Land Cruisers. Might have to be custom made

Linda S

The 6" was refering to the 205 Rosava C you recommended. Its weight carry is 2149 lbs dual and 2271 lbs single.

The Grabber  is rated at 1521 lbs.

Thus the comment about getting the RV weighed

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Lucas602 said:

Hi. The first link, axle faq, is broken. Does anyone have a new link for this info? Thanks!

Sorry, I thought you knew how to tell the good axle from bad. 5 lug nuts on the rear drum is bad. 6 lug nuts with protruding hub is good.

2 hours ago, linda s said:

Tried to get it from another group but didn't work. Axle facts is on this site in files section 

https://groups.io/g/toyota-campers/messages

Linda S 

Thanks! 

Specifically looking for info on weights and suggestions. Would love to do single rear wheel. I am pretty light. 

The axle you have is fine with single wheels. The issue with the recall was the fake dually wheels put on by the RV manufacturers. They put stress on the bearings causing them to eventually fail. 

1 ton trucks don't have different axles. They have staggered shocks and heavier leaf springs.

Many members here have put on Old Man Emu 4x4 springs with good results. CS 010r is the spring. For stability your also going to need a stabilizer bar in the rear. 

Single wheels also gives you the ability for larger wheels but I wouldn't go larger than 15 inch. The bigger the wheel aka tire diameter the harder it is to get it moving from a standstill. Power is one thing you can't change

If you want a wider stance which would also help with stability a T100 axle is 67 inches. When you figure the extra width of the duallies a single wheel will come out about the same amount. Yours is early model so measure to be sure. 

If you decide to get a full float there are a couple in the LA area available. For that because yours is also an early model you will need new shock mounts welded on and a few more alterations done. Actually you would need that for the T100 too. Your early frame is narrower. Don't think you need a pinion adapter for the driveshaft to diff but not sure. 

If you decide to keep your existing axle have a full service done. New bearings and complete inspection for wear

Linda S

On 5/31/2022 at 1:06 PM, linda s said:

The axle you have is fine with single wheels. The issue with the recall was the fake dually wheels put on by the RV manufacturers. They put stress on the bearings causing them to eventually fail. 

1 ton trucks don't have different axles. They have staggered shocks and heavier leaf springs.

Many members here have put on Old Man Emu 4x4 springs with good results. CS 010r is the spring. For stability your also going to need a stabilizer bar in the rear. 

Single wheels also gives you the ability for larger wheels but I wouldn't go larger than 15 inch. The bigger the wheel aka tire diameter the harder it is to get it moving from a standstill. Power is one thing you can't change

If you want a wider stance which would also help with stability a T100 axle is 67 inches. When you figure the extra width of the duallies a single wheel will come out about the same amount. Yours is early model so measure to be sure. 

If you decide to get a full float there are a couple in the LA area available. For that because yours is also an early model you will need new shock mounts welded on and a few more alterations done. Actually you would need that for the T100 too. Your early frame is narrower. Don't think you need a pinion adapter for the driveshaft to diff but not sure. 

If you decide to keep your existing axle have a full service done. New bearings and complete inspection for wear

Linda S

Thanks! I get that. It seems like I would like the T100 to get the proper width 

I did find myself a donor here. Where would I source a stabilizer for the rear? I plan to take the front spindles, all tires and wheels, brakes etc. curious how switching the spindles works. Assuming I run my original control arms, sway bar etc and the ball joints will fit

weding no problem. I have a welder here. I am a mechanic. 

here is my donor 

57E1282A-C0EB-4B99-905E-FCE9310C6D89.jpeg

So this donor is in Pismo?. We have another member who needs the transmission or at least the speed sensor off of it. Message me and let me know

Linda S 

Rear stabilizer bar

1979-1983 Toyota Pickup 2wd & 4wd - Addco 334 Rear Sway Bar (3/4 Diameter) [334] | $139.30 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

Oh and I want the wind guard off the hood. Won't fit yours and looks cool

9 hours ago, linda s said:

So this donor is in Pismo?. We have another member who needs the transmission or at least the speed sensor off of it. Message me and let me know

Linda S 

Rear stabilizer bar

1979-1983 Toyota Pickup 2wd & 4wd - Addco 334 Rear Sway Bar (3/4 Diameter) [334] | $139.30 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

Oh and I want the wind guard off the hood. Won't fit yours and looks cool

Cool. No not pismo but Ill check the transmission and grab the wind guard for you if you want. I have discounted shipping rates with work. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Reviving this old thread with a unique question.

I have a 1978 Shorty Sunrader with Foolie rear axle. I have acquired the full-float rear axle needed to make the sunrader safe to drive before i redo it, but here is my question.

Can i mount the full float rear axle to the existing leaf springs so i don’t have to move the perch mounts and only need to move the shock mounts or do i have to use the full float leaf springs? I have the leaf springs, ubolts, and dually wheels, just trying not to create more work than necessary.

Thanks in advance.

i would put the springs on the dually axle and shove the whole thing under there. mount the front of the springs, then lift the axle up tp connect the rear hangers.

There's no such thing as full float springs but they are heavy duty and should have extra leaves. Count them and compare to yours. Also your springs are very old. Ones that came with the full float are probably much newer and possibly in better shape. Things to consider when upgrading. Do you have the wheels you need

Linda S

13 minutes ago, linda s said:

There's no such thing as full float springs but they are heavy duty and should have extra leaves. Count them and compare to yours. Also your springs are very old. Ones that came with the full float are probably much newer and possibly in better shape. Things to consider when upgrading. Do you have the wheels you need

Linda S

Yes i have the wheels and springs. Im just trying to not have to cut and reweld the spring perches as well

Your 1978 frame rails are narrower than later model Toyota.

The spring perch’s will need adjustment to match your rails.

They also make offset shackles and spring perch’s. I’ve never used them. Custom car makers use them all the time. Weight would be a determining factor with that.

Personally, I’d adjust the spring perch’s.

Measure distance center hole to center hole on your foolie spring perch’s. Compare that measurement to your 6 lug ff spring perch’s. That will tell you how much adjustment you’ll need to make.

Edited by fred heath

• 7 months later...