(in 'Axle Removal')

Diesel...

No rear sway. Not needed with 9 rear leaf springs and Bilstein shocks. I can't even move the coach body side to side no matter how hard I push on it. The diesel corners like a sports car (much better then the 1991 Sunrader) :ThumbUp:

the reason it is up is because I blew a seal in one of the front Bilsteins and had the front up on stands to take them off.

While it was up I decided to do a brake job which turned into new brakes (new calipers).

While it was up I decided to touch up the under coating which lead to the rear end being up so I could take that pic.

(from previous topic 'Axle Removal')

Diesel Mike, and others;

I thought I'd start a new string since we're now talking about axle installation.

Those must be progressive leafs, or some of them, or it would ride like a buckboard. (Did those have any suspension?)

Since the Bilsteins are repairable, are they adjustable?

I may have need to delete the rear anti-sway (one side is broken loose now) when I eventually get to the '86 'Rader 4X4 and re-do the homemade conversion. I plan to drop the spare and get a holding tank in there.

Right now I have a ragged package over the axle and short shackle that leaves the back end very low. It looks severely back-loaded without any gear or stowage.

I also need info on the dual parking brake cabling as it comes back along the right side from the transfer case. The previous owner left the shackle on each cable end and just looped them around something, never completing the conversion. The cables at the brake end of the replacement axle were simply cut off near the drums.

At your leisure, Mike, can you send a photo from your '88 4X4 if the cabling comes down the right side? Turbo Gregs cabling ('85 4X4) is split right and left conventionally. My front half is stock and tidy, but I see no anchor points whatsoever at the rear end. Hopefully, a picture of the arrangement at a standard 1-ton axle (not the full floater) would show me the original arrangement.

Steve R.

(from previous topic 'Axle Removal')

Since the Bilsteins are repairable, are they adjustable?

No they are preset from the factor. Koni are adjustable but they are not gas pressure shocks. The bilsteins have a positive gas pressure (they are a bugger to install as every time you compress them, they start back to full extension and it takes Popeye to compress them)
Right now I have a ragged package over the axle and short shackle that leaves the back end very low. It looks severely back-loaded without any gear or stowage.
Get a Firestone Ride Rite air suspension kit. http://www.fsip.com/riderite/products/rrinfo.shtml This will resolve your problem and if you get the on-board compressor and dual cab adjustable pressure option you can level your coach by adding/removing air from either side.
I also need info on the dual parking brake cabling as it comes back along the right side from the transfer case. The previous owner left the shackle on each cable end and just looped them around something, never completing the conversion. The cables at the brake end of the replacement axle were simply cut off near the drums.

Mike, can you send a photo from your '88 4X4 if the cabling comes down the right side?

My 88 4x4 is a pickup not a motor home. It has a stock 4x4 axle not a dually so would not show you anything as far as what you need to know about your dually axle.

My 88 4x4 is a pickup not a motor home. It has a stock 4x4 axle not a dually so would not show you anything as far as what you need to know about your dually axle.

Right.

But I was hoping I'd get lucky and see if your cables come down the right and fan out. It might show me potential anchor points. Your backing plates might be what was original to this '86 and show me the entry angle.