Road Trip Internet

I'd like to stay on-line this year while traveling and have begun the process to reconsider options. I'll be out back much of the time.

I'm not enthused at the prospect of wi-fi at private campgrounds, and public ones, for the sake of security. I've had three serious breeches in the credit card world so I'm sensitized to this factor.

My wireless carrier is Sprint so I can use the phone as modem but I don't think there's much coverage in the wilds of Nevada, Idaho, and Montana for my outbound trip. Inbound through Yellowstone and via interstate and U.S. highway the prospects are much better. I know nothing about pricing/minutes/security for this option.

It always seems to come back to satellite for broad, reliable coverage. The last time I checked a couple years ago, this is pricey. I'm in the middle of my two-year AT&T DSL plan at home and would hate to carry both plans since I'm not on the road that much.

Is anybody connected right now or simply willing to provide their experience?

Steve R.

I'd like to stay on-line this year while traveling and have begun the process to reconsider options.

Is anybody connected right now or simply willing to provide their experience?

Steve R.

When I flew out to Calif to get the Sunrader I tried using a PPC-6700 (30 day trial service)...

http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-phones/sprin...99.html?tag=txt

I found that everywhere I had a cell connection I had an internet connection but at dial up speed. The PPC-6700 came with windoz mobile, MS office, and a few other programs installed on it. I installed a mobile password keeper and some other software that I use. If I remember correctly you could only access 15 pop email accounts and an unlimited number of web based email accounts (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)

It was not terrible but I think that things have a little ways to go before any type of laptop substitute is in the picture.

It was nice and small and it was almost a computer (a lot better than lugging around a lap top). I put in a 2 gig miniSD card so had plenty of storage space for installing software and storing photos.

In the end I turned it back in as I felt that it just was not ready for prime time but your mileage may vary

Your best bet is to use a combination of your cell phone and public Wi-Fi access points.

It sounds like you need to beef up your Internet security, have you looked into getting

a VPN (Virtual Private Network) service? VPN will get you an encrypted path through

the internet.

Dennis...

• 2 years later...

Great site for all kinds of info. : )

I have a Sprint Palm Pre', which is a type of smart phone. It will be my phone, internet and camera, while on my travels. There will be times when the net won't be accessible, but I guess that's gonna happen. I will use it mainly for communications and info. It does have GPS, as well. It's about as tech savy as I am at this time. :rolleyes:

Tudy

• 2 months later...