22RE Performance

I've got two weeks before departure and have noticed an incremental gain in performance in my '88 22RE as I shed weight, enough to think for the first time that maybe a 10-to-15% increase in horsepower would make this a viable long-term keeper.

I'd like some opinions on basic tune-up products as well as some specific changes I'm planning to make. This is a California registration.

Rotor, cap, wires, plugs -- can I get any real advantage here? Does anyone position electrodes on standard plugs, relative to intake/exhaust valves?

Air Filter -- I plan on K&N, but retaining the Toyota 'box' arrangement.

Injectors -- I've seen a claim that the Bosch four-point spray delivers a significant gain.

Coil -- Downey Off-Road advises against a hotter coil for fuel injection.

ECU -- This is the big one. I see Diesel Mike saw a significant uptick (six-cyl) after the reprogramming at JET. Has anyone reprogrammed the 4-cyl computer? The websites for Jet and Downey claim about a 10% boost.

A tech at Jet tells me the emissions testing would remain compliant, but the visual inspection would fail. The trick is to get a replacement computer and run it to make sure it works, then send in the original for programming. I haven't found a California dually auto ECU. I'll try Toyota this week.

Thoughts?

Steve R.

Howdy Steve.

I have the computer and air box with a brandnew KN filter in it. The filter has 60 miles on it ! The computer I have was running when I shut it off to put in my fuel management system upgrade. If your interested in both items, give me a e-mail at llarrysfriend@y------------------ahoo.-----com. Take out the dashes.

Good luck with the upgrades

John

Howdy Steve.

I have the computer and air box with a brandnew KN filter in it. The filter has 60 miles on it ! The computer I have was running when I shut it off to put in my fuel management system upgrade. If your interested in both items, give me a e-mail at llarrysfriend@y------------------ahoo.-----com. Take out the dashes.

Good luck with the upgrades

John

Yes. I'll mail you personally this evening.

Thanks,

Steve R.

that maybe a 10-to-15% increase in horsepower would make this a viable long-term keeper.

I'd like some opinions on basic tune-up products as well as some specific changes I'm planning to make. This is a California registration.

ECU -- This is the big one. I see Diesel Mike saw a significant uptick (six-cyl) after the reprogramming at JET. Has anyone reprogrammed the 4-cyl computer? The websites for Jet and Downey claim about a 10% boost.

Thoughts?

My experience with 22RE is solely with my 1988 4x4....

http://photos.turtle-web.com/88toy.jpg

I have the Downey air cleaner (the old one that is the full box replacement), a cam, headers, ECU reprogramming, and an enlarged throttle body. Outside of removing the pistons and installing higher compression this is just about as far as you can go with this engine (within economic reason).

All in all the 22RE in the 4x4 has the HP and torque of the stock V-6 engine after all these mods, but I am not sure that this would be enough for a large coach (21-22 foot model).. On a shortie it might be reasonable.

Doing the ECU reprogramming and keeping it Cal legal means cutting back a lot in the potential of the engine (performance wise). I know when JET reprogrammed both of my ECUs (91 Sunrader and 88 4x4) I specifically asked them to NOT worry about any smog or other issues, only performance as Virginia does not have any checks (yet). They told me that they could take the engines out further if they did not have to worry about them passing a smog check.

NOW.... IF..... I had a 4 cylinder 5 speed shortie coach I would swap out the engine for a 2.4LT (turbo diesel). This engine has about the same HP and torque as a stock 22RE. After owning a diesel for the past 12 years I wonder why I purchased the Sunrader V-6... Sure it is a raging stallion with the mods I have done to it but it just isn't the same. I miss the clankity clankity chatter chatter of the diesel.

You do know that the 2.4LT is a direct drop in replacement for a 22R engine? Same engine mounts, same bell housing bold pattern...

http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/toyotadiesel/ (have fun reading)

I doubt that you could get away with dropping in a diesel since you live in Cal... ask before you even think about it.

California will allow you to swap in an engine if it meets the following requirements. It must be from the same year or newer. It must have been originally built cal smog legal not federal. The original computer and smog related equipment must also be reinstalled. That can also include the fuel tank and fuel pump. You then have to take it to a smog referee and get it certified.

California will allow you to swap in an engine if.....The original computer and smog related equipment must also be reinstalled. That can also include the fuel tank and fuel pump. You then have to take it to a smog referee and get it certified.

These old diesels have no control computer... they are all mechanical fuel injection. That is what is so great about them.. nothing to go wrong... nothing to adjust/tweak... just get them spinning and you are on your way... It takes two 12 volt batteries hooked in parallel to spin the engine (24:1 compression). Engine compartment has batteries on both sides behind the headlights.

I guess you could get an 85/86 2LT engine out of a Cal. salvage yard and write down the vin # and use that.... I would imagine that they were Cal smog legal back then (or never sold in California).

The only years diesels were imported into the US were 81-83 and 85-86

Just to try and hi-jack the thread here, I have my old ignition parts and injectors. Anyone interested in 'em? 20 bucks for the ignition parts and 20 bucks for the old injectors. Lemme know .

John

California will allow you to swap in an engine if it meets the following requirements. It must be from the same year or newer. It must have been originally built cal smog legal not federal. The original computer and smog related equipment must also be reinstalled. That can also include the fuel tank and fuel pump. You then have to take it to a smog referee and get it certified.

Do you mean the computer and other smog items follow the engine from the donor vehicle?

This might be a bit late, but two of the easier items that should get you a little

better performance is the air filter and the exhaust. There are a number of oversized

air filters that should be better than the OEM one, and look into a performance duel

exhaust system.

Dennis...