Portable Generator

I have been watching Ebay and Powermax 4400/3500 gas with recoil and or eletric start. Has 12 volts charging system and has rv switch to lock both 110 outlets as one for 27 amps. My Odd Duck has 30 amp power setup, i plug it into a 15 amp breaker in and it runs everything including a/c and frig. Has never tripped breaker. So anyone know anything about this gen.? If it would hold up 2 or 3 years for the $420 i would well satisfied.

I have been watching Ebay and Powermax 4400/3500 gas with recoil and or eletric start. ....... would hold up 2 or 3 years for the $420 i would well satisfied.

There is an Onan Microlite 2800 on also

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=130128828918

I pulled inside cover off a/c and got num. found i have the coleman mini mach a/c. So thats why my 15 amp breaker holds up and runs everything at once. I'd like to get a Honda Eu2000i generator but cost is more than i got my MH for! I will just have to save up for it. With one of those others i would have to chain or bolt it down on my utility trailer with our other stuff. Not putting much of anything in MH while driving, will get it weighed soon as i can put it back on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to get the smaller Honda, its even too much $$$ for us right now. I am eventually going to remove the 30 amp cord and replace it with a reverse outlet. In other words it looks like a male plug but is built into a box cover with the water tight cover that flips open to plug in a cord.

I don't have and never will have A/C so I really don't need a 30 amp cord.

The one main thing I would look for when deciding on a gem system is the amount of noise it makes. Anything with a brigs and stratton engine is going to be noisy. The Hondas of course are the quietest but also the highest priced.

We couldn't make it down here in the south without our a/c. Being at the senior ages its not as easy as it was 10 years ago to keep cool. The gen. at wide open is 68 decibels, less when its not under full load. The honda is over twice the cost which this year isn't going to happen. I wouldn't use gen. in any campground or park as that would bother folks. We would pay for the full hookups.

Greg;

I'm leaving my Honda EU2000i home this year as I have the inverter setup and am installing a 160-amp alternator that claims 70 amps at idle and full amps at 1200 rpm.

Point is, if you need to try it out, I'd be happy to loan it since we're practically neighbors. Quiet it is....

I'm going to try a small microwave this year, and in theory I'll have 840 watts available at idle, but with my extending squeegee on the gas pedal I'll have 1920 watts. Perhaps someone has advice about an idle-up relay arrangement that's more elegant. Greg?

The Honda 2000 can be had for $849 from a magazine ad, or $999 at Camping World.

www.speedwaysales.com/Honda

I have the 'twist-lock' style waterproof hatch as well and no rodents or ants will get in past it. It was a little difficult getting the male and female heads onto the 10-gauge 30-amp RV cord, so a piece of romex on the interior leg will ease the job. It's nice not having to fight the cord back into the space, which now becomes storage, while the cord hangs behind a shroud on the rear.

One nice aspect of the portable gen is not having the transfer switch: you're either plugged in to the gen or shore....

Steve R.

I'm going to try a small microwave this year, and in theory I'll have 840 watts available at idle, but with my extending squeegee on the gas pedal I'll have 1920 watts. Perhaps someone has advice about an idle-up relay arrangement that's more elegant. Greg?

The diesel has a dash mounted pull to lock throttle control. These should be available from Toyota or you could use a choke cable as long as it has a twist to lock feature.

post-794-1184075404_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Greg;

I'm leaving my Honda EU2000i home this year as I have the inverter setup and am installing a 160-amp alternator that claims 70 amps at idle and full amps at 1200 rpm.

Point is, if you need to try it out, I'd be happy to loan it since we're practically neighbors. Quiet it is....

The Honda 2000 can be had for $849 from a magazine ad, or $999 at Camping World.

www.speedwaysales.com/Honda

I have the 'twist-lock' style waterproof hatch as well and no rodents or ants will get in past it. It was a little difficult getting the male and female heads onto the 10-gauge 30-amp RV cord, so a piece of romex on the interior leg will ease the job. It's nice not having to fight the cord back into the space, which now becomes storage, while the cord hangs behind a shroud on the rear.

One nice aspect of the portable gen is not having the transfer switch: you're either plugged in to the gen or shore....

Steve R.

Steve

Let me know how the bigger altinator works out. I know a guy who is going to give a non op honda 1000.

Greg

• 2 months later...
:watsup: hey smokepolehall, i just bought one of those powermax 4400/3500 gens. on 10/12/07, should arrive by 10/19/07 ,will keep you posted on performance.i did alot of comparing ,this gen. had alot of options the others did not ( rv grade, pretty quiet 69decibels, rv switch ,240volt twistlock ,accesories ) i questioned the small size 23x17x17 but good things come in small packages.

:watsup: hey smokepolehall, i just bought one of those powermax 4400/3500 gens. on 10/12/07, should arrive by 10/19/07 ,will keep you posted on performance.i did alot of comparing ,this gen. had alot of options the others did not ( rv grade, pretty quiet 69decibels, rv switch ,240volt twistlock ,accesories ) i questioned the small size 23x17x17 but good things come in small packages.

gen. just came in on 10/18 real nice unit,quiet only problem i had (my fault) :Poster_oops: i plugged my 120/240v.twistlock in and switched over to 120/240 30amp power not knowing that you only get 15 amps per side (roof a/c kept tripping breaker on gen.)

the voltage regulator fried called maxtool they are sending new reg. and brush. NOTE; do not switch to the 120/240v side (i learned the hard way) keep it on the 120v 30amp side ,will run everything. also 30amp to 120/240v adapter wire needed to have the black wire switched to opposite side to work with this gen.(tip from cust. svc.) adapter wire was not purchased from maxtool

If I remember correctly the Powermax is Chinese made based on a Honda design.