Need to repair or replace water heater

just got back from local mountains & used water heater for 1st time

when heater tank fills up it leaks outside below heater compartment and leaks all the way down to right rear corner of rv....

we just finished bathroom re-model (except where 1/8th board covers up the plumbing along the wall)so I pulled up the 1/8th board that was at rear right corner & water is running from tank to right corner and leaking outside....

I'm going to replace heater what is my best option taking old heater tank out & replace

or buy one of the "add-on water heaters" I want to be able to use propane to heat water I do lot of camping with hook-ups

the only good thing is the water damage does not look that bad.....so far..

I would say try and fine the same one you have it just makes it a lot easier to replace every thing is in the same place. Both brands are very close to the same price. The bottoms rot out all the gook lays on the bottom and the drain is above it so you can't completely drain them they do make a gadget to rinse them out I don't know how effective they are.

water heater is leaking from inside the tank

all water lines and fittings are bone dry

ty for the good idea on the replacement tank..

I have a 6gal American appliance (out of business)

so far this is the one im looking at http://www.adventurerv.net/suburban-gallon-water-heater-sw6d-p-11433.html?action=calc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle&gclid=CPm8wdjW3rYCFYF7QgodFjMA_g

has anyone installed a suburban with the door kit? how does it fit?post-6388-0-87259300-1366657736_thumb.jp

want to make sure this is the right one before I buy...

First of all trouble shoot to see where the leak is coming from because it might only take a turn of a wrench to fix the problem.

Are the connections to the water lines tight? A lot of times they get removed if there is not a bypass kit on it for antifreeze. Then when the water lines are reconnected they might not have been screwed back on tight.

Was the drain plug on the outside put back in tight?

Maybe its a leak in the water hose and/or fitting that connects to the tank and it is running down the tank to the floor.

Remember that most of the fittings on the tank can be replaced if the fittings are the source of the leak.

Does the tank itself have a hole in it? You can get replacement tanks for most water heater models. No need to replace the whole heating unit if the burner is still working fine.

The way to know what will fit in the way of a replacement unit is to measure the opening in your rig. Then check the specs on what you are thinking about buying to see if it is a suitable match.

no longer in business

I would say try and fine the same one you have it just makes it a lot easier to replace every thing is in the same place. Both brands are very close to the same price. The bottoms rot out all the gook lays on the bottom and the drain is above it so you can't completely drain them they do make a gadget to rinse them out I don't know how effective they are.

Just took water heater out ..
tank is rusted out
tried to find a replacement tank none available
going with the suburban electric ignite
called a rv tech and said it will fit perfect...
$260 shipping $20
everywhere I call $300 to over $430 for same model
also going to need a door kit $35 so far is the best....

looks pretty dry considering water leak :bye2:post-6388-0-43718300-1366662614_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-86463600-1366662563_thumb.jp

just bought a suburban sw6d water heater

$285 shipped

propane only has electric ignition switch available for it (switches are cheap on ebay)

http://www.adventurerv.net/suburban-gallon-water-heater-sw6d-p-11433.html?action=calc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle&gclid=CPm8wdjW3rYCFYF7QgodFjMA_g

and this door kit $33 shipped http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Suburban-6261APW-Standard-Door-6-Gallon-Polar-White-Trailer-Camper-RV_p_1053.html

ty for everyone's help

if anyone wants old American water heater for parts your welcome to for free

beside the tank everything else works lights up runs just fine..

I live in san diego

or will ship to you if you pay shipping....

not sure if any body is interested old heater just thought I would give someone a chance

$ is right FREE

You don't need a new door unless you want one. Old one is the same. Mine flew off and I replaced it with a suburban. Fit on same hinges

Linda S

Mine was amerocan appliance too. I think it's the same company with a new name

You don't need a new door unless you want one. Old one is the same. Mine flew off and I replaced it with a suburban. Fit on same hinges

Linda S

Mine was amerocan appliance too. I think it's the same company with a new name

I wish I new that about 3 hours ago.....

already ordered..

I did ask to cancel order but sure its to late and its a $15 restock plus shipping....

so will have to bite the bullet and resale if old one still fits.....

ty

steve

yes it will look good...

I really like having hot water to wash hands while camping

I have tent camped for the last 15 years so having the ability to have a hot shower every other day is going to be great

plus doing dishes in hot water is a plus

not counting the furnace keeping me warm and comfy in bed at night (can stay in bed while making pot of coffee)

good by tent hello Dagabah!

My new Attwood came with a switch. Maybe yours will also. it also came with a new door.

wow that's great that Atwood gave you a door and switch..

Suburban only gives you water heater

They don't even make doors.

I bought a switch on ebay for $5 shipped

I canceled door kit. Linda said I could use my old door so Im going to give it a go

might have to modify door latch(install one) and modify the door hinge..