Coffee Drinkers - What are you using?

83 SunRader

I'm just wondering what everyone is using to brew their coffee. I was using a typical drip coffee maker until recently, when I purchased a coffee press ($20) to help eliminate another electrical appliance. The coffee press has been working great and makes a fantastic cup of coffee. Now all I need to use is a little LP gas to make a cup of coffee. Approximately 3 minutes to boil water and 4 minutes for coffee to steep (7-8 minutes total).

• 5 months later...

I want one of those! My day job is that of a coffee shop owner. I am the roaster, but hire young, energetic people to work there. I love good coffee, and that aeropress looks great. I'm always looking for new ways to have a good cup, and that looks good.

For camping I use special pour-over cone that holds the water until you place it on the cup. So you get the steeping of the French press and the clean cup of the pour-over. When done, just throw away the filter and grounds. The only drawback is it takes a while to prepare several cups. I can't remember the name of it, kind of an obscure thing.

+1

The best coffee and the best coffee maker ever. It is absolutely perfect for taking along in a motorhome as it is lightweight, unbreakable and affordable.

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

watch the video, link is at the bottom of the page.

One minute to make the coffee (once your water is hot) and twenty seconds to clean up, absolutely no messy grounds to deal with.

You guys really enjoy your coffee! I have to have coffee in me first in the morning just in order to carry out even the simplest tasks! That's why I like the French press it has only one moving part.

I make 3 cups all at once with my French press it has two parts and I only have to clean it once for 3 cups! I just dump the grounds a quick rinse little more water push the plunger up and down 3 or 4 times dump the water I'm done. I'm sure yours works better less grounds etc. the French press has been around for a 100 years and hasn't changed much. My favorite coffee maker is DD or Tim Horton's!

There is a subtle difference between the 2.

The French press seeps the coffee (think tea) then removes the grounds with the press. As Karen said the Aeropress makes espresso. You force hot water through the coffee grounds then through a small filter.

Personally I like the espresso flavor better. I do have both and the French Press is semi retired.

Interesting. I always thought espresso was different because it was steam, more than water passing through the grounds, but I just googled it and I guess what defines the difference in espresso is the pressure of the water going through the grounds.

Wow new knowledge about something that isn't a Toy.

One afternoon in a Paris cafe and you will learn all you ever needed to know about espresso they have amazing machines that make coffee a cup at a time The way the apparatus locks into the machine you would think it's some where around 1500 PSI. It comes out too thick to drink and too thin to plow. They sit there all afternoon drinking that stuff 1 cup and I have the coffee jitters for 3 days!

That settles it. Toy Group trip to Paris!

A local shop here still has the old fashioned espresso machine with the big lever they have to pull down just right. Good coffee. Takes a long time...but the McDonalds culture folks don't go there anyways (or if they do once, they never come back, and complain about it the rest of their lives!), so slow is ok.

To the fast foodies folks,,,sorry McDonalds does not serve COFFEE.

For a road trip we would have to start in Paris but end up in Rome. After all that's where Espresso come from. On the way home a small detour to Berlin for their local beverage. :hyper:

For a road trip we would have to start in Paris but end up in Rome. After all that's where Espresso come from. On the way home a small detour to Berlin for their local beverage. :hyper:

Or FOOD, the way I define it.

Sounds good to me! We can charter a ship to carry all our toyhomes. Or we could just ride trains, I guess...

Quite, mate but it's the British pubs for me! Yes I don't know what that stuff Micky D's sells is (including the food).

I used French Press on our trip but got REALLY sick of cleaning it. Finally just went and bought a pour-over and couldn't be happier - boil water on the stove, pour over on the thermos, toss the grounds/filter in the trash, and move along.

Yeah, some of my friends use an individual coffee filter for their coffee when we backpack. The plastic filter holder just sits right on your cup. Actually I think it's an integrated filter...no paper, just the plastic. Pour hot water over the grounds, dump them in the fire when done. If you want, you can rinse it off before the next use. Just one little plastic funnel-like thing for coffee equipment.

I drink tea. Loose leaf, just throw it in the glass, pour on hot water. I can get 3-5 glasses this way, by just adding more hot water to the leaves. Very simple, and just need something to boil water with.

• 1 month later...

Old fashioned pour through cone. You take your coffee filter put it in the cone, put your coffee in filter put cone over cup and pour hot water in. Coffee comes out. mmm good!

i use a french press. a coffee snob told me once that he hates french press he would use a drip cone because you are drinking the oil and not the herb.

So I tried it his way and I agree. both ways put grinds in your teeth.

best coffee is from a keurig cup. although very strong. not rv friendly at all.

They have taken their 'food' service to the ultimate level of recycling! At least it tastes like it.

• 5 months later...

I am a "coffee-holic"

I live coffee.

At home I roast single origin green beans in a small 1/2 pound batch roaster and roast 2-3 pounds at a time (4 to 6 batches) per week.

Now I can't take my roaster and all of my "coffee paraphernalia" with me on the road.

SO.....

I start out with a couple pounds of "my roast" then when I start to run low I google for artisan roasters in towns I will be passing through to grab a pound of fresh roasted to keep me going. I try to not let fresh roasted coffee set as roasted beans for more than 14 days as they start to stale after two weeks so I only take what we can drink in 2 weeks then when I am down to about 1/2 lb I start looking online for an artisan roaster that I will pass by and see what they have available.

That is how I "handle" my roasted, unground beans.

Brewing on the road......

I use an 8 cup (this is 4 "American size" 10oz cups) Chemex brewer.

I grind my beans in a Kyocera CM-50 which has the Orphan Espresso PFP modification (extra bearing in the grinder for press and pour over grinds).

I grind just before brewing as coffee is only good for about 15 minutes after grinding before it starts to "stale" (told you I was a coffee-holic)

I use a small Revereware tea kettle to boil the water. First kettle of water goes in the Chemex to rinse the paper filter then into the carafe to warm it, second kettle of water brews the coffee, and a third kettle (of tank water) goes on to make hot water to wash dishes with.

Once the coffee is made I put two cups of the brewed coffee into our cups and the other two cups into a heated thermal carafe.

Sometimes I will make another pot to put in our thermos so we can have 2 more cups each (did I say I was a coffee-holic?)

Pics of Kyocera CM-50 (Kyocera on the right, the hand mill on the left is a Hario mini espresso grinder)

kyo_mini_zps6a55c17d.jpg

8 cup Chemex is the one in the middle (I only travel with 1 brewer and I like the silky smooth, coffee that a Chemex makes)

3_amegos_zps67d4e97e.jpg

Oh I might as well add my home stuff to this post as I have already let it get out of hand

I roast outside because of all the smoke roasting beans make

hottop_outside_2-10-2014_zpsed99e528.jpg

Grinder line up

3-17-2014_grinders_zps3b26b14c.jpg

"Electric" brewers

PasBunn_2-26-2014_zpse51acc9d.jpg

Wow! That's great. The "stale" stuff and all that is interesting. From other circles, all of what you say is corroborated, except they're coming at it from the health perspective. Regular coffee is at best just caffeine, at worst full of nasty chemicals.

But good, clean coffee is actually really good for you (in moderation). But yes, it must be good quality coffee, not very old, very freshly ground and not allowed to sit. The antioxidants and other good stuff are very volatile and disappear if the coffee sits after it's ground, or after it's brewed.

Also that with the darker roasts (which I've always been a fan of), you are at some point only tasting the roast, not the coffee. So dark roast is just roast. The flavor of the coffee bean is gone. What do you think about that? I love the dark, oily beans (and yes I want that oil in my coffee). But I've gone a little lighter after hearing that.

I have a Hario hand grinder with me and an Aeropress.

None of this talk matters much, for me though, because I drink coffee at most once a week, but typically once every few months. I do, on the other hand, have a huge stash of green and oolong tea with me :)

Many methods...

1) sometimes we stop at St*rbucks -

2) sometimes we roast beans and use a coffee press

3) sometimes we roast beans and use a drip machine for a larger group

4) sometimes we go the Headlands in Fort Bragg CA - best coffee we've had - or other local shops that we are familiar with - preferred over #1 where possible

5) sometimes we heat water and use VIA packets (Columbian)

6) I've been know to use Folger's coffee "teabags"

We always use distilled water.

I drink enough coffee for 5 people.

In the Toyota we usually use #5 for simplicity and lack of mess.

Wow! That's great. The "stale" stuff and all that is interesting. From other circles, all of what you say is corroborated, except they're coming at it from the health perspective. Regular coffee is at best just caffeine, at worst full of nasty chemicals.

But good, clean coffee is actually really good for you (in moderation). But yes, it must be good quality coffee, not very old, very freshly ground and not allowed to sit. The antioxidants and other good stuff are very volatile and disappear if the coffee sits after it's ground, or after it's brewed.

Also that with the darker roasts (which I've always been a fan of), you are at some point only tasting the roast, not the coffee. So dark roast is just roast. The flavor of the coffee bean is gone. What do you think about that? I love the dark, oily beans (and yes I want that oil in my coffee). But I've gone a little lighter after hearing that.

I have a Hario hand grinder with me and an Aeropress.

None of this talk matters much, for me though, because I drink coffee at most once a week, but typically once every few months. I do, on the other hand, have a huge stash of green and oolong tea with me :)

Yes, the darker you roast the less of the bean flavor is kept. You lose the subtitle citrus and berry hints that lightly roasted coffee retain. Roast too light and you have lawn clippings (an unpleasant raw grass taste).

Some beans like Chiapas and the better estate Brazilian can take on a chocolate flavor when they start to go deeper into 2nd crack but care must be use to not go too far otherwise it is just burned charcoal and not coffee any longer.

A dark roast (full city +) should have light oiling (small spots of oil showing on the bean). Once the roast goes into Vienna or Italian (past 2nd crack) pretty much all the batch is good for is blending with other coffees to add more depth and even then in less than a 1 to 5 ratio.

"Store coffee" is packaged for long shelf life so it is treated and the air evacuated and replaced with nitrogen so that it can last longer before the bad taste becomes obvious.

Three bean blend showing dark, med, and light roasted

3-beanBlend_zpsa7d33583.jpg

Couple of typical roasts for me

rwanda_2-2-2014_zpsf3f0b2d7.jpg

chiapas_01-12-2014_zps957f3fad.jpg

ethiopia_suke_quto_1-20-2014_zps35c17b2c

Darker espresso roast which is about all I will take this dark

light_dark_blend_11-20-2013_zps8f30d78b.

• We use a Melita single cup maker with cone filter, also have a small grinder and fresh grind French Roast. The grinder works fine on our small inverter.

Steve

still use the old camp style open flame percolator my friends call it cowboy coffee nice and thick.....

Good old perc coffee is hard to beat, espically the aroma as it is brewing. A lot less needed to brew a good cup of coffee too.

I am a "coffee-holic"

I live coffee.

At home I roast single origin green beans in a small 1/2 pound batch roaster and roast 2-3 pounds at a time (4 to 6 batches) per week.

Now I can't take my roaster and all of my "coffee paraphernalia" with me on the road.

SO.....

I start out with a couple pounds of "my roast" then when I start to run low I google for artisan roasters in towns I will be passing through to grab a pound of fresh roasted to keep me going. I try to not let fresh roasted coffee set as roasted beans for more than 14 days as they start to stale after two weeks so I only take what we can drink in 2 weeks then when I am down to about 1/2 lb I start looking online for an artisan roaster that I will pass by and see what they have available.

That is how I "handle" my roasted, unground beans.

Brewing on the road......

I use an 8 cup (this is 4 "American size" 10oz cups) Chemex brewer.

I grind my beans in a Kyocera CM-50 which has the Orphan Espresso PFP modification (extra bearing in the grinder for press and pour over grinds).

I grind just before brewing as coffee is only good for about 15 minutes after grinding before it starts to "stale" (told you I was a coffee-holic)

I use a small Revereware tea kettle to boil the water. First kettle of water goes in the Chemex to rinse the paper filter then into the carafe to warm it, second kettle of water brews the coffee, and a third kettle (of tank water) goes on to make hot water to wash dishes with.

Once the coffee is made I put two cups of the brewed coffee into our cups and the other two cups into a heated thermal carafe.

Sometimes I will make another pot to put in our thermos so we can have 2 more cups each (did I say I was a coffee-holic?)

Pics of Kyocera CM-50 (Kyocera on the right, the hand mill on the left is a Hario mini espresso grinder)

kyo_mini_zps6a55c17d.jpg

8 cup Chemex is the one in the middle (I only travel with 1 brewer and I like the silky smooth, coffee that a Chemex makes)

3_amegos_zps67d4e97e.jpg

Oh I might as well add my home stuff to this post as I have already let it get out of hand

I roast outside because of all the smoke roasting beans make

hottop_outside_2-10-2014_zpsed99e528.jpg

Grinder line up

3-17-2014_grinders_zps3b26b14c.jpg

"Electric" brewers

PasBunn_2-26-2014_zpse51acc9d.jpg

Now there folks is a coffee drinker!!

Turtle approaches everything he does in the same all or nothing manner. I could live in the house he built for his Sunrader and on the LED thread you can see the insanely perfect bumper work he did. I have rarely missed a morning without my espresso but I manage with a little home grinder and a stove top espresso maker. I do love my coffee

Linda S

That's what we use also. Beans from Costco-San Francisco Bay Rainforest Blend.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok you coffee drinkers I like a good cup of coffee there seems to be a dozen different ways to brew and buy it so how does this work out for some one that is clueless? I don't want to spend an hour making one or two cups or buy $1,000 worth of stuff so how does a neophyte make a decent cup of coffee? Do you buy coffee beans and grind them as needed or does it work just as well to just buy all ready ground beans? So out with the secretes for the rest of us dummies! Be gentle and remember the best bang for the bucks with the least amount of effort mornings are not my best time.