Alternative free wifi locations nationwide

Don't forget that many fast food restaurants have free wifi for their customers. My daughter and I stopped at a few McD's on our trip to the Grand Canyon. I bought a cup of coffee or soda and she used her computer for a while. A purchase is frequently required to get the password..

You would also be amazed at the number of people that don't have encrypted Wi-Fi in their homes. Just a statement but they popup during a scan it’s everywhere and people are afraid of smart meters.

ive never ran out of free wifi sources.

I think theres a site called freewifi.com of course youd have to be getting wifi to use it.

fred meyers and safeway are two other good sources that send it out 24 hours a day.

what I need is free ac power. other than the libraries theres not usually a lot of sources to walk up and plug in for free.

• 7 months later...

You guys should look into one of these. These plug into your computer vis USB and pick up wifi signal up to 2 miles away I believe it is depending on location and interference. They are perfect for if you're sitting in your camper in a parking lot and would like to bum off of a store or houses wifi.

http://www.amazon.com/NextG-USB-Yagi-Range-antenna-2200mW/dp/B0044D7J1W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383027828&sr=8-4&keywords=long+range+wifi

That is ultra slick! 2.2 watts is a lot of power on 2.4 gig WiFi don't forget you have to be able to send as will as receive the only issue I see is aiming it you sort to need to have an ideal of where the hot spots are. It looks to be very nicely built. For what it is that is a good price too. With a 2.2 watt transmitter it will reduce battery time any other thing to think abou if you have no way to recharge.

It is pretty neat and has performed pretty well for me so far. The software can be a bit iffy at times. As far as aiming goes I just will point it in a random direction and as long as there are houses/businesses, you'll always pick up a signal. I will just search around to find the highest strength signal and connect to that. It appears to be well built and is pretty compact as well.

ive got it penciled in. how many wifis are you picking up at once if it goes for miles?

BE

ive got reasonable cellular internet but in all actuality this thing may get better reception, obviously much higher speed and much cheaper.

ive got a 17.50 a month tmobile going.

i ran across something strange the other day

the att wifi out of a mcdonalds projects a LONG ways away. i picked it up on my laptop across a whole supermarket parking lot.

other than that it gets bad ranks for being so slow throttled and also blocked. mcdonalds also has no plug ins at all.

• 1 month later...

I live in a rural area surrounded by trees where houses are a considerable distance apart. Without the antenna I only pick up my home network. With the antenna pointing out of an upstairs window I am picking up 7 signals. Keep in mind the nearest house is easily 500 feet away.

Sounds like a nice piece of equipment. But @ $100 a bit pricey. I wonder how it would compare with this one @ $31. Both advertise 18dB of gain. This one doesn't mention how many mW.

http://www.amazon.com/Brands-Wireless-2-4GHz-Antenna-Booster/dp/B0054MLMLA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_3

Back to back testing would be nice!

What do you experts (I'm not one) out there think?

• 1 year later...

This is what I use, there are many Omni directional antennas on Amazon.

I wasn't looking for extreme long distance, just something that would pickup a McD , Panera, Home Depot, etc. from across a parking lot.

And this one works fine for me.

http://goo.gl/UOrIKO