Window gaskets

MontanaChinook

Yep, but the way the conversation went...I wasn't sure that even if I could get all the old stuff out at all, or out without breaking the window, that I'd be able to get a new bead back in with the windows still installed. I know you said you did it fine, but other people said no way...

So anyways, rather than risk that, and having to pull my wall back out if something went wrong and I needed to take out the window, I just cut away the bad parts and filled it in with a sealant. Which WME gave me the idea for. Since, as he mentions, the plastic has shrunk all it will at this point, 35 years in. So just cutting away the parts that had already pulled out, and filling in the gaps with sealant seemed like a good enough fix for me.

The only "right" way to do this job is to remove the windows, put in new rubber beads, new butyl tape and put the windows back in. Which means taking my cabinets back apart, walls out...

No thanks! :)

So since this got lost and didn't make my 100+ item list of "what should I take care of/do while I've got this thing gutted?", I'll just need to be happy with this solution for now.

So we'll see if this takes care of it. I live in a pretty dry area. But in wet snow and when things started to thaw last spring, I noticed water was dripping inside the camper from getting in on the bottom of that window. If what I did keeps just that water from getting in, I'm happy.

It's just rubber molding. Pulls right out and snaps back in. I did almost all of my Tiger windows in place. Anyone who told you it can't be done hasn't done it.

Linda S

By the way this rubber molding is not a seal. If water is leaking in the window has come unsealed from the frame. Depending on where that leak is your silicone fill might or might not work

Its an easy job to replace the molding. Buy 25 ft of it and leave it on the roof of a shed over the winter. That you will pre shrink it and your install will last longer before a corner will pop out.

Crazy! Well, we'll see. I filled in all the gaps around the glass, and the window frames. So hopefully I got them all. I didn't seen any sign that the roof leaked when I had the ceiling out. So that's good.

Well if you read the first and maybe second pages JD pretty much said it wasn't gonna happen. That he could not have got his out without taking the windows out. Seal or moulding or whatever it's called, I don't know. It's what goes around the edge of the window, and without it, there's a large gap.

For now, I'm happy I filled in that gap.

Don't forget weep holes in the frame. It seems there are leaks and then there is condensation. Both need a a way to "relieve" them self.

• 8 months later...

Ok so the rubber molding doesn't prevent leaking? So I feel like all of my windows leak so I was gonna pull them all out and do gaskets and the butyl tape, black right? I got one of my sliding windows that doesn't stay in the track and falls in all the time and I can't really tell from at the other one what the difference is. It's all plexy so I'm not worried about stuff breaking. But I don't want to do all of this wall remodeling and then have it leak and get felines again. So the butyl tape is the barrier from water?

Ok so the rubber molding dosent prevent leaking.? So I feel like all of my windows leak so I was gonna pull them all out and do gaskets and the butyl tape, black right? I got one of my sliding windows that doesn't stay in the track and falls in all the time and I can't really tell from at the other one what the difference is. It's all plexy so I'm not worried about stuff breakin. But I don't want to do all of this wall remodeling and then have it leak and get felines again. So the butyl tape is the barrier from water?