Inverter/converter 77 Chinook

nhcamper

I own a 77 Chinook with the original inverter/converter. I installed a new deep cycle battery, everything works but the 110 plugs on the unit and the counter cabinet. When I plug into 110 with the pigtail everything works fine ie; camper lighting and 110 plugs. When the switch is in the 110 position without 110 coming in nothing is live unit plugs or counter plugs. When I switch to the 12volt the camper lights work but nothing else works (110 plugs). This is the original PCM 15CK Model. Any insight into fixing this problem would be appreciated.

I own a 77 Chinook with the original inverter/converter. I installed a new deep cycle battery, everything works but the 110 plugs on the unit and the counter cabinit. When I plug into 110 with the pigtail everthing works fine ie; camper lighting and 110 plugs. When the switch is in the 110 position without 110 comming in nothing is live unit plugs or counter plugs. When I switch to the 12volt the camper lights work but nothing else works (110 plugs). This is the original PCM 15CK Model. Any insight into fixing this problem would be appreciated.

The original equipment converter in the Chinook is a CONverter only, only changes 110 voltage to 12 volt when plugged in to shore power. The only time the 110 plugs are hot is when its connected to outside 110 voltage.

The overheating problem your having is pretty common on the old trucks after years of cooling system neglect. If the water pump shaft is wobbly probably a good idea to replace it, but doubtful it will cure the overheating. To save some time replace the radiator, its more than likely the culprit with plugged cooling tubes, normal routine seems to be water pump, then flush the rad, then replace the thermostat, then new cap, then new clutch fan, all the time wondering why its still running hot. Happy Chinookin.

Thanks nolan. If I tap into one of the cabin lights with a cig. adapter will I be able to power a TV?, will this power come from my deepcycle battery and will the system recarge itself while I'm driving or plugged into shore power? Or do you have any suggestions on what type of invertor I should by to complement what I all ready have. Thank. I'm going to replace the rad. and water pump!!!

It sounds to me like you should have a basic inverter wired directly to your house battery to give you one 110ac outlet in your coach for the times you're not connected to shore power. The capacity would be determined by your intended use.

You can wire up a simple 12vdc outlet near your panel on an existing circuit and plug in a small inverter (150 watt) if you're just running a TV, but if you're going for a microwave or hair dryer (1500 w) then you need to come off the battery to get the proper wire guage and fusing.

In the first scenario, the battery drain will sneak up on you in a hurry. In the second, you'll have to idle the engine to avoid overtaxing the battery. The alternator, even at idle, will take up some but not all of the load.

I presume you have either a Group 24 (85 amp-hour) or Group 27 (115 ah).

The formula for sizing an inverter goes something like this: take the known watts of the appliance, add 15% for inverter loss, add a 25% for startup and anomalies. You're looking at a minimum 40 - 50% cushion to avoid nuisance tripping. I don't have my Xantrex manufacturer's literature with me this week, but I believe it's xantrex.com...

I got into this for the purposes of conserving propane while driving, state-of-the-art charging, and providing a very clean ac souce for electronics, so I went all the way to a full-sine-wave inverter/charger and removed the original converter. I have full-time 110ac throughout the coach, but still no microwave or computer (maybe this season).

I'm going to post separately requesting advice on a good internet set-up.

Steve R.

I have a group 24 lifeline, 80 amp hours. All I want to do is watch a small tv/DVD player., no other appliences will be used. I have access to an inverter. I just don't know what would be better an inverter or a small generartor. I have seen small 1000watt generators advertized for as little as $99.00 I know that some of these generators are noisy but has anyone tried to muffle these units with any sucess? Thankyou for the help.

I don't know why you couldn't use a 12v TV or a DVD player for many hours of enjoyment with just the power from the auxillary battery. When plugged into shore power and the converter turned on it should recharge the battery provided its working, easily checked with a voltmeter at the battery terminals, plus while driving the auxillary battery is recharged from the alternator. Again I,m assuming things are wired correctly, with either an isolator or solenoid to isolate the auxillary battery from the main truck battery so you won't leave yourself stranded with a dead battery.

A small inverter could also be used to power smaller things like the TV, I have a 2000/surge-1000 watt continuos output inverter in my Chinook, hardwired to the auxillary battery and it powers a small microwave with no problems.

Nolan, where did you wire in your invertor? The Chinook is all original no modifications have been made. I even have the original wiring diagrams from the factory. Thanks.

Hi NHC, Thats cool you have some of the original paperwork, My auxillary battery mounting is a bit different than stock, beings I had the room both Chinooks (yeah I got 2 of em, 75/76) have the aux battery mounted underneath just behind the cab on the drivers side frame rail. The 76 has the inverter mounted in the under counter cupboard on the wall next to the refer, the 75 has the inverter mounted on the floor behind the drivers seat, both hardwired directly to the battery with a cutoff switch inline, makes it nice as both are just a short run to the battery.

I was thinking the the same thing the wiring runs behind the wheel well, and it would be easy to tap into it.I'm not sure what brand or cap. the inverter my brother in-law has but it is a hardwired unit. Is there any paticular brand of TV/DVD combo that is better suited to this application or will one of the WAL-MART specials work just as well? Thanks.

This is off the subject but does anyone know of a source for aftermarket sheet metal for the 77 Toy? I could use a set of doors and fenders for mine. I did find hoods but no other sheet metal.

I was just out in the camper checking the wiring and I noticed that there is a built-in AC adapter in the lighting fixture. I never noticed it before and it isn't mentioned in the owners manual. If I plug an (150w) inverter into the light I should be able to run my TV/DVD off this power supply, this is run off the deep cycle battery correct? I only use the camper at most three days in a row and I only use the battery two nights and I drive in between, even if this did not charge it fully I could plug it in at home and this should recharge the battery correct? This is what you were telling me in your last post.

I was just out in the camper checking the wireing and I noticed that there is a built-in AC adapter in the lighting fixture. I never noticed it before and it isn't mentioned in the owners manual. If I plug an (150w) inverter into the light I should be able to run my TV/DVD off this power supply, this is run off the deepcycle battery correct? I only use the camper at most three days in a row and I only use the battery two nights and I drive inbetween, even if this did not charge it fully I could plug it in at home and this should recharge the battery correct? This is what you were telling me in your last post.

Hey NHC, Actually you should have a couple of DC 12 volt cigar lighter plugs built into a couple of the interior lights, they draw power from the auxillary battery, in fact, everything in the rear, interior lights, refer, if as original should be wired to draw from the aux. battery. the main truck battery is isolated so its only function is to start and operate the truck section like the camper wasn't even there.

Anytime the engine is running it should be charging both batteries, anytime your plugged into outside 110volt power, the converter is turned on, it should be charging the auxillary battery.

I don't have any preferences to what brand dvd or tv's work better that the others, my son has a portable dvd (Audiovox) that works off 12v or 110v it works fine in the car plugged in to the lighter plug, I have dual flat screen monitors in my 75, they work just fine too off 12 volt.

Body parts for the old 72/78 body style have pretty much dried up, ocassionally you'll see someone selling some odds and ends, but most fenders and doors are wrecking yard treasure hunts. If you can find some good shape originals your way better off than the new reproductions that were around a while back, those are horrible quality and don't fit well.