Toyota dually

jdemaris RN75L SDTEA3W

http://toyotamarket.ru/us/671440/202/

My four-cylinder 1987 dual wheel box truck is not what you posted above. It is 1987 model-year, 2.4 fuel injected engine and an auto trans. VIN: RN75L-SDIEA3W . You've got it as SD "T" EA3W instead of SD "I"EA3W. I can post JPGs of the original ID tags if wanted.

My four-cylinder 1987 dual wheel box truck is not what you posted above. It is 1987 model-year, 2.4 fuel injected engine and an auto trans. VIN: RN75L-SDIEA3W . You've got it as SD "T" EA3W instead of SD "I"EA3W. I can post JPGs of the original ID tags if wanted.

Looks like I was wrong. I had to go out and look with a magnifying glass and put some water on the tag to better show the numbers. It's pretty corroded. Seems it is indeed a "T."

On the yellow tag that was added by the box maker - it's also hard to read. Says made by "East Coast Vans". Manufactured 12/86 (the box part of it). GVWR is 5500 lbs. Front axle 2660 lbs. Rear axle 2780 lbs. Tires 185R14C. Tire pressure 65 PSI.

post-6578-0-65960100-1363106215_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-86337400-1363106217_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-33566600-1363106219_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-12735100-1363106221_thumb.jp

Extended between the front and rear axles or just beyond the rear?

Between the axles, thus the 147" WB

Yea, about 20" of L shaped steel plate and a longer rear drive shaft. It looks like mine started as a 137" WB. If you look at my avatar you can see how little rear overhang there is compared to a Winnie 21ft.

The way it looks is the frame was cut and jigged out to 147" then the plates were welded on. One top and side, the other bottom and side. That way the frame is fully boxed at the joint.

• 8 years later...

Called "custom" on Toyota duel axles they were Ford Ranger dual wheels on Toyota brake drums. These rears were Danas because they had Dana-Ford wheels on them

This is a very old thread but are you talking about the early fake duallies? There was never a factory Ford ranger dually. While some manufacturers used the wheels from the after market kit made in southern California to make a Ranger look like a dually the bolt size and center sections were off so those wheels didn't center properly. They failed quickly and manufacturers switched the aftermarket wheels made specifically for the Toyota by other wheel makers most notably Custom and Commercial who still makes various replacement wheels for our rigs. There is nothing on our rigs remotely Dana and there never has been.

Linda S

Toyota made their own 1 ton diffs they have tens of thousands duel wheel trucks running around Japan. Rangers never had a 1 ton diff. and the Ford one ton was 16" and had 8 lugs.